Buying 4WD in Perth and selling in Darwin

Submitted: Friday, Mar 24, 2006 at 20:55
ThreadID: 32120 Views:3062 Replies:5 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Hey,

I intend to buy a 4WD in Perth in a few days and I wondered if anyone can give me a recommendation for a mechanic who will check it for me and give it a basic service.
How much should it cost ?

Is there a good place to get used or cheap camping gear ?

Where about can I sell the car when I get to Darwin considering I will only have a few days and the car will probably be an oldy ? (is there a weekend car market ?)

Thanks

EJ
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Doug T (QLD) - Friday, Mar 24, 2006 at 21:02

Friday, Mar 24, 2006 at 21:02
You would be better off hiring a car , one way hire
gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 162712

Follow Up By: ejoffe - Friday, Mar 24, 2006 at 21:05

Friday, Mar 24, 2006 at 21:05
hiring a 4WD will be over 3500AUD
Do you think I can do enough attractions on the wat with a regular car skipping the Gibb River ? and whats there between Broome and Darwin this way ?
I will probably by after all do you have any info for me ?
FollowupID: 417469

Follow Up By: Willem - Friday, Mar 24, 2006 at 21:32

Friday, Mar 24, 2006 at 21:32
I agree with Doug. Hire if you want to use a 4x4.

You can see most of the byways off the Great Northern Road, Perth to Darwin in a 2wd vehicle( even the Gibb River road if you take it easy).

Yes there is a weekend/backpackers car market in Darwin but you will have problems selling a vehicle with interstate regristration plates unless ofcourse the other person does not care. You will most likely lose money on the deal or abandon the car if you are pressed for time.

BTW you have posted here a couple of times before, eh?

FollowupID: 417477

Follow Up By: Member - Jerry C (WA) - Saturday, Mar 25, 2006 at 00:50

Saturday, Mar 25, 2006 at 00:50
Hi ejoffe, the Kimberlies have been having some very good rains so I would suggest that the Gibb River Road will be closed to all through traffic. Ring the Main Roads Dept for road conditions and check with the local shires or the police as you go along as driving on closed roads can be verrrry expensive.

Enjoy your trip, Jerry
FollowupID: 417511

Reply By: Member - Doug T (QLD) - Friday, Mar 24, 2006 at 21:20

Friday, Mar 24, 2006 at 21:20
ejoffe
OK then , lets be more realistic then ,your trip is going to be 3986klm nearest route without any detours for seeing things. You say $3500 for a hire car is too much, so if you plan to spend much less than that on a piece of crap , [and honestly thats all your going to get under $6000 ] and expect it to get you through including the Gibb River Road then your looking for trouble,Next you will have Rego/Insurance, Probably a few tyres because a car under $3000 is not going to be really well shod,That's my opinion , you have to make the decision and it's your Dollars.I wish you Luck

Doug
gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 162721

Reply By: Member - Karl - Saturday, Mar 25, 2006 at 13:21

Saturday, Mar 25, 2006 at 13:21
As others have said - you are better off hiring from a reputable company like South Perth 4WD Rentals - at least if something goes wrong on your trip they will help you.

Karl
AnswerID: 162812

Reply By: Wizard1 - Monday, Mar 27, 2006 at 15:41

Monday, Mar 27, 2006 at 15:41
Having lived in Darwin, old and crap 4x4 are a dime a dozen, your tripping over them...so don't even expect to get a decent price for one there unless you find an unsuspecting foreign tourist with too much money and no idea...mind you they probably got ripped off in Sydney....hire one....

There is no weekend car market in Darwin either..unless you include leaving your car on the side of the Stuart Hwy in Berrimah with a For Sale sign on it...
AnswerID: 163161

Reply By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Monday, Mar 27, 2006 at 15:51

Monday, Mar 27, 2006 at 15:51
EJ wanted to know if anyone could recommend a mechanic in Perth.
To find this answer on ExplorOz you would use the Directory. From the Home Page box, use the Directory pull down category box and select "Servicing". Then to simplify the results list, use the pull down Refine by state/region box and select "WA Coast". From the 4 results, both Robson Brothers 4WD Service and Repair and BEECHBORO 4X4 are companies we can recommend if you wish to support the companies that value the ExplorOz audience enough to advertise themselves here.

(I'm relying on the auto business name hyperlink feature to give you the links to their relevant unique customer pages).

Hope that helps and make sure you tell them where you found 'em!
Michelle Martin
Marketing & Customer Support
I.T. Beyond Pty Ltd / ExplorOz

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 163164

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Monday, Mar 27, 2006 at 15:53

Monday, Mar 27, 2006 at 15:53
OK, so Robson Brothers 4WD Service & Repair uses the ampersand symbol in their name - sorry, this is a very exact science.
Michelle Martin
Marketing & Customer Support
I.T. Beyond Pty Ltd / ExplorOz

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 417927

Sponsored Links