Portable DVD

Submitted: Saturday, Mar 25, 2006 at 03:09
ThreadID: 32130 Views:1369 Replies:2 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
We have seen a dual screen dvd player in Dick Smith for under $400. We are travelling with a 5 and 3 yr old.
Are these DVD players any good?

Regards

Travellingblooms
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: wheeler - Saturday, Mar 25, 2006 at 07:56

Saturday, Mar 25, 2006 at 07:56
A friend of mione has had one of these for about 12 months and it works a treat. Has a heap of built in games that keeps us ....I mean the kids happy for ages. :-) I think there a new model now that has a slightly larger screen now, which would be good.
AnswerID: 162775

Reply By: RichieK - Saturday, Mar 25, 2006 at 09:12

Saturday, Mar 25, 2006 at 09:12
Hiya - no affiliation with DSE here....

We've had one for 18mths - we paid about $650 back then including 5 year warranty. Previously we weren't able to drive Sydney to Bathurst without a nervous breakdown (we have a 1yo, 3yo and 10yo), our first trip with the DVD was Sydney-Shepparton - about 9 hrs, and the kids hardly made a sound the whole trip. Money well spent! Headphones are a good idea as the screen (incl speaker) sits right at the front seat occupant's ear - 9 hours of Finding Nemo/Incredibles/Monsters etc soundtrack can be a bit much......

The games controler that comes with it has 25 games that are basic (think Mario Bros) but our 10yo will still play them for hours at a time

The new one at DSE I think has 2 dvd slots so you can watch a different movie on each screen (good argument solver) and the screens are a bit bigger, but we've never had any complaints.

The only downside is that when you see something out the window you want the kids to see, half the time they won't take their eyes off the movie - so they miss a good deal of the trip.

We haven't had any problems with it, and even if it did blow a fuse and go beyond repair, we'd buy another one tomorrow...
AnswerID: 162779

Sponsored Links