Split rims, body mounts and other stuff

Submitted: Saturday, Mar 25, 2006 at 20:25
ThreadID: 32158 Views:2878 Replies:6 FollowUps:23
This Thread has been Archived
Having only changed over to tubeless tyres two years ago I had forgotten how hard it could be changing a tyre on a splittie. I am running split rims on my trips this year and needed to change the original trailer tyres from 205's to 7.50x16's. The first split rim was rusted on to the inner rim and the changeover job took one and a half hours and lots of sweat. The next two only took 15 minutes each. Not so young any more and will sleep well tonite....lol

I took the advice of some of you and ground down the bolt guides on the four front body mounts on the GQ. It is not such an awesome job but a breaker bar was needed to loosen each nut. The rubber mount is tightened more firmly and there is no movement. Now the annoying CLUNK is something of the past.

I needed to install window protectors on the rear doors of the GQ when towing a trailer. So today I fitted clear plastic sheeting(about 2mm think) to the back windows of the GQ with small 3M interlocking fastners. They have small tabs which will facilitate easy removal when the the trailer is not in use.

Four weeks to go to the first trip of the year, first to Central Australia and then to the Geographical Centre of the Simpson Desert.

Cheers
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Lone Wolf - Saturday, Mar 25, 2006 at 21:11

Saturday, Mar 25, 2006 at 21:11
Willie, who is going with you on this trip?

You are taking a trailer, so I am figuring you are going to be out for a while. Will you leave the trailer at stations, then go further inland for a few days, and return?

What do you think the chances are of finding your previous plaque? In 1974 I put to rest a Suzuki 540 to rest out on the station. It had been run over at Mt. Gunson Mines, and we simply got it for spares. After I had stripped it, I took it to our station dump, and left it. Upon return in 2003, I had trouble finding it! The sand had crept over it, and all that was visible, was the rear quarter panel.

We would all be interested in any parallels you could draw after you have done this trip. Eg... GPS, how much easier is it than using traditional methods. Vehicles today, as compared to what you had back then. Accessories, what you have now, and what you didn't have then, and was it a good thing to have this time around?

Keep us up to speed.

Wolfie.
AnswerID: 162886

Follow Up By: Willem - Saturday, Mar 25, 2006 at 21:37

Saturday, Mar 25, 2006 at 21:37
G'day Wolfie

Leaving here on 22 April and having me old mate, Noel Fullerton ,
(famous camel man from Central Australia), with me in the truck. Jude is staying home this time :o)

I have 4 vehicles with me on the first leg of of this expedition to Central Australia. Still sweating on a permit for access to some remote and sacred country.

I have two vehicles with me into the Simpson and a third meeting up with us on the French Track. I estimate it will be around 150km to the Geo Centre of the Desert from there. The thing is we used a sextant to pin point our position in '87. Today there is a tall pole at the Geo Centre(have seen photos) but is it the same place where we put ours in '87? It remains to be seen....lol

I am taking the trailer in as far as I can, so that I have enough fuel for the trip. I opted for this method of carrying fuel, rather than fitting two long range tanks to the GQ. This way I can carry 115lts more than a 2 LR tank set-up.

The only advantage we have this time around is GPS and Computer navigation instead of paper maps. And with a larger vehicle we can carry more water. Also have more comfortable beds and better tents.....and a toilet..lol

On the way back from the Geo Centre we are meeting up with a 4th vehicle back on the French Track, driven by a well known damsel, who frequents this forum occasionally, and she and her hubby will join us on a trek to the southern part of the NP along some old seismic shot lines. The trip ends back on the Birdsville Track sometime in May.

Cheers
FollowupID: 417633

Reply By: Wayne (NSW) - Saturday, Mar 25, 2006 at 21:49

Saturday, Mar 25, 2006 at 21:49
Willem,

There is always so much to do before a big trip.

I often wonder how some people can book on to a big trip with only a week or two to go and have there vehicle ready. I started to get the Troopie ready a couple of weeks ago for the start of the big trips starting in June. I will still spend the last two weeks of May getting ready.

Do you think running split rims is really the way to go? Not so much the tyres but the fact that it is harder to change a tyre on a split rim than a solid rim. You said one tyre took 1 1/2 hours and the next two 15 min. To me it is a bit of a lottery. I said to Vic Widman that when we take the Britz vehicles on the big trips I would rather carry another spare tyre and rim already mounted rather than change a tyre out on the Canning.

We have used a cut up beer box as a rear window protector. Cheap and we did recycle the beer box. It was also a good bit of advertising, it is a wonder that some beer company has not come up with a beer box that can be used if the box was cut along the dotted line and fold on the bold line.

How long are you going away for? Will you be on the Canning in June at all? The way the bookings are going for the Canning this year Vic has said that I might have to do two Canning trips this year about 4 weeks apart. It will mean that I might have to miss out on doing the Kimberleys, but the booking this year for that trip are not that good.

I hope the gear box does not have to come out again and ever thing else is alright with the Nissan.

Might get to see you in the out back this year. All the best and have a good trip/trips.

Wayne
AnswerID: 162893

Follow Up By: Willem - Saturday, Mar 25, 2006 at 22:06

Saturday, Mar 25, 2006 at 22:06
Wayne

The GQ is pretty well set up now. She is running sweetly. Still need a few extra spares.

I am going to do around 1000km plus of trackless country throughout the year and will be running 12ply MRF rags. I honestly dont think my Coopers will cope with the terrain and will keep them for track work only. Running Telecom Tyres(Dunlops) on the trailer and carrying two extra casings and tubes.

I should be at Durba Springs around the first week orf July heading north. Going to do the run from Warri Site to Calvert Ranges and will only be on the CSR till Georgia Bore when we will take on the horror stretch of Talawana to Cotton Creek and then Newman and beyond. I have to be back home by end August and I want to visit too many places in one hit...lol
FollowupID: 417636

Follow Up By: Member - Davoe (Widgiemooltha) - Saturday, Mar 25, 2006 at 23:35

Saturday, Mar 25, 2006 at 23:35
Wayne britz vhicle being fairly new would be a cinch fixing tyres with split rims. Changed many split rim tyres and it is usually a pretty painless project. One exception being fitting new tyres which can be a pain. The problems come when you run standard road fripper tyres on them as they puncture easily and require removal for fixing.
If you run crossplys on them the extra time involved in fixing a flat is more than offset by the reduced likelyhood of a flat. It is very rare to pick up a flat using crossplys while driving on tracks. Also they will take alot omore damage before being stuffed.
My stats speak for themselves this year
Using radials 7 trips 11 flats 2 unrepairable
using Bald MFR 12 ply super traction tyres approx 15 trips 1 flat

FollowupID: 417655

Follow Up By: Wayne (NSW) - Saturday, Mar 25, 2006 at 23:40

Saturday, Mar 25, 2006 at 23:40
Davoe,
I just don't like changing a tyre on a split rim.
It is just me.
The tyres should last the trip but if they were puncture proof they would not to have a spare.

Wayne
FollowupID: 417656

Follow Up By: Member - Davoe (Widgiemooltha) - Saturday, Mar 25, 2006 at 23:50

Saturday, Mar 25, 2006 at 23:50
Practice makes perfect. I was backup for a Geological excursion and was able to jack up a hire vehicle running dick grippers remove the wheel strip off the tyre fix the flat and whack it back on without using the spare all in the time the driver was listening to the speil on the gelogic formation we were parked at
FollowupID: 417659

Follow Up By: Wayne (NSW) - Sunday, Mar 26, 2006 at 00:01

Sunday, Mar 26, 2006 at 00:01
Daveo,

What are you doing from May until October. Want a job?:-))

Wayne
FollowupID: 417663

Follow Up By: Member - Davoe (Widgiemooltha) - Sunday, Mar 26, 2006 at 01:02

Sunday, Mar 26, 2006 at 01:02
In final pay negotations between 2 companys ATM so should have a new job by then but if it doesnt work out..........................
Was looking forward to a months holiday but whichever way I go they want me ASAP so it looks like work before fun again :(
FollowupID: 417667

Reply By: Harry - Saturday, Mar 25, 2006 at 21:57

Saturday, Mar 25, 2006 at 21:57
G'daye Willem,
Haven't spoken to you for a bit, but just reading about your trip, sounds like Big John is on your list.
Talking to him this week he mentioned the centre and not too many get out there so my guess is he's going with you guys.
Just got a message last night to say he's up at Geehi this weekend.
Do you know anything about Hay river , I will heading up there later in Aug. and guess who's comin on that trek with us.
Cheers
AnswerID: 162896

Follow Up By: Willem - Saturday, Mar 25, 2006 at 22:16

Saturday, Mar 25, 2006 at 22:16
Hi Harry

Yeah Big John is coming along. I got a message from him as well. Sounds like he gets lonely on these trips so I sent him a message via bcon...lol

I have not been on the Hay River trip, which is becoming quite popular. Apparently more tracks haver been opened up on Lindsay Bookies place.

We did a north south trek through the desert in 1987 about 100km to the west of the Hay River and pretty much parallel to it. Yes John said he was going that way. Looks like he is taking the whole year off for travelling :o)

Cheers
FollowupID: 417640

Follow Up By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Saturday, Mar 25, 2006 at 23:02

Saturday, Mar 25, 2006 at 23:02
Harry,

If you want more info about the Hay River trip, there's a trip report here on exploroz

I wrote up a report for 4wheelingSA - look up page 57 onwards of the Spring 2005 edition

And threads 25523, 28350 here

As well as Jol Flemings website

Cheers
Phil
FollowupID: 417648

Follow Up By: Harry - Sunday, Mar 26, 2006 at 19:49

Sunday, Mar 26, 2006 at 19:49
Thanks Phil,
I have the explor notes but I'll investigate that other info you mentioned.
You never know who's looking at your post do you.
Tell me more about 4wheelingSA ??
FollowupID: 417759

Follow Up By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Monday, Mar 27, 2006 at 00:16

Monday, Mar 27, 2006 at 00:16
4wheelingSA is a free internet magazine put together by Andrew Hiscock from Whyalla 4wd club - all articles are submitted voluntarily - some very good stuff there. If you are able to, download all the issues and have a good read.
FollowupID: 417798

Reply By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Saturday, Mar 25, 2006 at 22:38

Saturday, Mar 25, 2006 at 22:38
Hi Willem,

I used to find that if I got enough flats with the splits, they'd come off easy and I'd get good at fixing them :-)))

Not long to go - have a great one

Cheers
Phil
AnswerID: 162902

Follow Up By: Willem - Saturday, Mar 25, 2006 at 22:49

Saturday, Mar 25, 2006 at 22:49
LOL Yes. But I would rather stuff a few tubes than cut the side out of a $300plus tyre which is then u/s.

Thanks. Looking forward to all the adventures.

Cheers
FollowupID: 417644

Follow Up By: Member - Davoe (Widgiemooltha) - Monday, Mar 27, 2006 at 02:15

Monday, Mar 27, 2006 at 02:15
Willem I think i found the ultimate in stake resistant Tyres at the drillers lay down yard. They were called jet trac ax made in the prc. Damn things had 8 ply sidewalls and could not be pushed in with my hand let alone thumb. Made the 4 ply MRF sidewalls look positivly flimsy. I guess tyres like that build up alot of heat during bitumen driving. With sidewalls like that you wouldnt have to worry about flats coz even if you got one they probably wouldnt go down
FollowupID: 417806

Follow Up By: Willem - Monday, Mar 27, 2006 at 08:45

Monday, Mar 27, 2006 at 08:45
Davoe

What next...solid rubber tyres? lol

Yes, unfortunately this tyre thing is always a compromise. You have to drive on the bitumen for a long distance to get to the real dirt stuff where your tyres are used for what they were designed for. So one has to drive slowly to avoid too much heat build up and buggered tubes on the black stuff. Even so careful driving in the bush is necessary if you want to save yourself grief and hassles.

I have become used to the comfort and versatility of my STT's but out bush they are a worry. I removed the flares from the truck this weekend to suit the skinny's. Last years trip along the Israelite Bay/Caiguna run all the mud flaps and flares were ripped off. These flash cars are too flash for their own good...lol

Cheers
FollowupID: 417832

Reply By: Footloose - Sunday, Mar 26, 2006 at 08:43

Sunday, Mar 26, 2006 at 08:43
Hi Willem, ironic that it was really your comments that had me changing to one piece rims a few weeks ago after running splits for 30 years :)) You are a lot fitter than I, because I find them pretty heavy these days. Rust is a problem, and keeping the stones and dirt out of the casing while changing a tube is another gripe. Get it wrong and you have to do it again down the track...sometimes not very far down the track.
I've a lot of non 4wd stuff to get out of the way before I even think of getting off. I rekkon it will be a wing and a prayer again this year.
There's too much tar between the Alice and here to take splitz, and once in the bush I may wish I had em on again...hope not. I havent mastered the ary of needle and thread for punctures on these rims yet !
AnswerID: 162933

Follow Up By: Willem - Sunday, Mar 26, 2006 at 18:57

Sunday, Mar 26, 2006 at 18:57
Hi Footloose

I thought you were going for wide steels. I still think they are the bees knees but on the trips I am doing this year they may not cut the mustard.

I am fitter than you? LOLOL ...and maybe a couple of years older...or younger?

Mate, I am all aches and pains tonite :o)
FollowupID: 417748

Follow Up By: Footloose - Sunday, Mar 26, 2006 at 19:04

Sunday, Mar 26, 2006 at 19:04
Willem, have seen what can happen to wide tyres, I prefer the pizza cutters. 235's max.
Mate you are older than me but probably look a h*ll of a lot younger. My wife remided me I had grey hair when I was in my 20's.
All that tyre work of yours...I'm puffed out just thinking about it ! :)))))))))
FollowupID: 417749

Follow Up By: Harry - Sunday, Mar 26, 2006 at 19:44

Sunday, Mar 26, 2006 at 19:44
Hey Footloose,
I don't understand why you get stones etc in the casing when changing a split.
Don't you carry a small polytarp or tarp for laying down under the vehicle , you could use that to stop your griping.
I've had 3 punctures 1 stuffed in 25yrs driving out in the sticks on road grippers with splits. Wides for local travel and weekends, splits in the deserts.
With a bead breaking tool,( your tyre bloke will show you his, will cost $40) it shouldn't take any longer than 20mins to get going.( that's havin a coldie as well)
FollowupID: 417757

Follow Up By: Footloose - Sunday, Mar 26, 2006 at 20:01

Sunday, Mar 26, 2006 at 20:01
Harry, yes had tarp, dont go anywhere without 3 or 4 actually.
Lets see, what happened last time except I had a broken finger and fried knee. Take RS spare out where its collected crud from the road. Roll it around etc and put on tarp. Use tyrepliars to get rim off. More crud. Wind is blowing tarp around, starts to rain on the sand. Set tarp properly. Check for bits inside. Take tyre off, replace tube. Where did that sand come from ? Take apart. Do again. Get compressor out...no good as its only got the tyre blower upper connection on the end. So at this stage the knee doesnt want to prop up the wheel...etc etc etc
That's the reality of travelling by yourself.

And that, Harry, is how Footloose managed to get crud into the tyre.
PS. That was the second puncture within 50K !!
FollowupID: 417760

Follow Up By: Gramps (NSW) - Monday, Mar 27, 2006 at 08:50

Monday, Mar 27, 2006 at 08:50
hahahahaha Footy. A video of that little adventure would be a classic LOL
FollowupID: 417833

Follow Up By: Footloose - Monday, Mar 27, 2006 at 08:57

Monday, Mar 27, 2006 at 08:57
Gramps, there's a picture about halfway down this page that captures the stark reality of the situation.
http://home.iprimus.com.au/jimshire/pix.html
FollowupID: 417836

Follow Up By: Gramps (NSW) - Monday, Mar 27, 2006 at 09:09

Monday, Mar 27, 2006 at 09:09
Yeah mate, I remember when you first posted about that little adventure. Good to see you had the chair out to stop the machismo taking over :)) You're a braver man than I travelling alone.

Regards
FollowupID: 417838

Follow Up By: Footloose - Monday, Mar 27, 2006 at 09:32

Monday, Mar 27, 2006 at 09:32
Gramps, I could write a book about travelling alone.
I'm not brave, you dont get to my age by being brave :)
I rekkon the brave ones are the women that travel alone in the bush. One mob of female backpackers did a tyre, didnt know what to do so a family of locals rocked up. The girls locked the doors etc , they were really frightened. The bit that would of frightened me was that they were on a remote rarely used "shortcut". Luckily a couple of electoral officers who were visiting communities came along and changed the tyre for em. You wouldn't believe it, two women ! These women, along with bush nurses etc travel the bush, often alone, and think nothing of it. I rekkon that's brave.
FollowupID: 417846

Follow Up By: Gramps (NSW) - Monday, Mar 27, 2006 at 09:46

Monday, Mar 27, 2006 at 09:46
Agree with you there. Those ladies are something else. But then again, they'd say 'it's a known fact' that women are braver than men LOL
FollowupID: 417849

Reply By: Harry - Sunday, Mar 26, 2006 at 20:25

Sunday, Mar 26, 2006 at 20:25
Yeah ok , point taken. :-)
AnswerID: 163020

Sponsored Links