WA and NT with a private

Submitted: Sunday, Mar 26, 2006 at 05:19
ThreadID: 32166 Views:2452 Replies:7 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hey,

Sorry for opening a new thread but it seems to me to be on a different subject.
As I had written in my last thread we have a month to travel in WA.
We first thought of buying a 4WD but I am afraid that if I buy an old car I will not be able to sell it in Darwin even for a very low price - the people's car I had been looking at (around 4-6000 AUD) have been trying to sell in perth for weeks now, and I don't have that time for that when I finish my trip in Darwin.

So I am left with the option on Renting a private car (4WD are way too expensive). My questions are:

1. Going from Broome to Darwin with a private, are there still interesting places I can visit, making the trip worth while ? what are they ? and how long should I put aside for it ?

2. Another option is to take a car in perth and Travel in a circle around WA for a month and then return it in Perth. Isn't a month too long ? Is the outback (inland) of WA interesting or is it just long boring drives ? how do I create such a round trip ?

Pleae understand we are quite short of money so it is either one of these two option or if you think it won't be worth it we'll just cut our trip short and save the money.

Thank you

EJ
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Bonz (Vic) - Sunday, Mar 26, 2006 at 07:22

Sunday, Mar 26, 2006 at 07:22
Hi EJ, we did a month in WA and found it nowhere near enough.

First we went North, up to Monkey Mia (Denham) to see the dolphins and theres an old telegraph station there and a nice long drive, then on the way back we called in to Kalbarri, beautiful area, then a week around Perth and environs, theres heaps to see, then south via Margaret River and across the bottom to Albany, up thru past Wave Rock to Kalgoorlie (another two weeks) and still we felt we were rushing.

Theres a lot of driving but it is Australia. Never bored for an instant.
Time is an illusion produced by the passage of history

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 162926

Reply By: Member Boroma 604 - Sunday, Mar 26, 2006 at 07:24

Sunday, Mar 26, 2006 at 07:24
Gooday,
I have lived in WA on several occasions as well as visit many parts of of this magnificent State many times including 3/12 months in 2005.
I think you have answered your own question in your option 2.

I sugget you rent a vehicle & spend your time doing the Sth West corner, accross to Esperance up to Kalgoorlie, back west along Gt Eatern Highway taking in Wave Rock, absoloutely magnificent, then if time left, Norhth to New Norcia,The Pinnacles, & if any of your month left, I doubt it, go to Kalbarri.

Not sure where you live but get a map out & have a look at the size of WA it is 1/3 size of Aust, natural features are like another world but ditances big but every inch breathtaking, most of the people wonderful.
Cheers
boroma604.
AnswerID: 162927

Reply By: Member - Davoe (Widgiemooltha) - Sunday, Mar 26, 2006 at 07:25

Sunday, Mar 26, 2006 at 07:25
Derby, Windjana gorge, Tunnel Creek, Wolfe creek meteor crater (watch the film before you visit here. Flora River NP Katherine, Cutta Cutta caves, Edith falls, Katherine Gorge and i probably forgot quite a few places. Oh and i assume you will be going to Kakadu and Litchfield NP. My freind did a simular trip in a 2wd and still had a ball you just cant do the Gibb river road or go to the Bungle Bungles - Still heeeeps to see
AnswerID: 162928

Reply By: Member - Doug T (QLD) - Sunday, Mar 26, 2006 at 09:36

Sunday, Mar 26, 2006 at 09:36
ejoffe
How many people is WE ,my Daughter travelled the USA, UK , and Europe in 1996 alone using a mix of rental cars and buses, she would bus to a city then rent to visit an attraction , at nights she stayed at back-packers
gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 162935

Reply By: hazo - Sunday, Mar 26, 2006 at 18:27

Sunday, Mar 26, 2006 at 18:27
Hi EJ,
Just a point for you, my son came out from the UK a couple of years ago with exactly same idea, but none of the smaller(and cheaper) hire car companies in Perth will let you go further than the NW cape (Exmouth)!
Dont think the big ones eg Hertz ,Avis mind so much but they really charge for the priveledge!
Brian wa
AnswerID: 162993

Reply By: Willem - Sunday, Mar 26, 2006 at 19:34

Sunday, Mar 26, 2006 at 19:34
EJ

Maybe you should go to a travel agent and look at some of their brochures. Better still, invest in a detailed map of Australia which high lights the scenic places

Just incase you are not aware, Western Australia is about the size of the whole of Southern Africa and supports about 2million inhabitants. There is so much to see.

But it depends what you are interested in!

If you are low on money then I suggest you rethink your travel plans and save up more money for a later holiday. Petrol is currently selling around $1.20(diesel is 15c/l more expensive) per litre in the cities and you can add another 30% for country areas. It cost around $150 per day to travel in Australia, that is, in your own vehicle.

You could take a bus from Perth to Darwin and stop off at popular destinations and get to see the country that way.
AnswerID: 163010

Reply By: kingswoodwagon - Sunday, Mar 26, 2006 at 23:36

Sunday, Mar 26, 2006 at 23:36
Hey EJ

Sounds like you need The Lonely Planet 'Western Australia'

Especially if your looking to save a buck.

Gav

AnswerID: 163051

Sponsored Links