Scenic Flights in Kimberley

Submitted: Sunday, Mar 26, 2006 at 16:36
ThreadID: 32182 Views:1858 Replies:9 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Our Kimberley trip is getting closer; Woo Hoo!
We figure we can probably budget for, at most, two scenic flights while we are up there. Question is, which ones. So for those who have done some, which are the best.

I suspect there are dozen's available, but if you could only do one or two, which would they be.

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: beachbum - Sunday, Mar 26, 2006 at 17:02

Sunday, Mar 26, 2006 at 17:02
The best in my opinion is the flight to "The Horizontal Falls" out of Derby or Broome. Closely followed by a flight over the Bungle Bungles. Neither is cheap but both are great. Enjoy.
AnswerID: 162979

Reply By: Member - Nick (Kununurra) - Sunday, Mar 26, 2006 at 17:37

Sunday, Mar 26, 2006 at 17:37
Havent done it yet but the one that goes out over Lake Argyle and the Bungles is ment to be magnificant.
AnswerID: 162987

Reply By: hopscotch - Sunday, Mar 26, 2006 at 19:30

Sunday, Mar 26, 2006 at 19:30
Hi Norm C,

We were in the Kimberleys last year and did the helicoptwer out of Turkey Creek for the Bungle Bungles and the Horizontal Waterfalls out of Derby in the
Cessna Caravan seaplane.
Yes they are both expensive!! but we considered it well worth the money.

I also towed an Odyssey ZR and it is just the greatest piece of equipment. No dust on the inside and it will go whereever you want it to go.

Kevin J

T
AnswerID: 163009

Follow Up By: Member - Norm C (QLD) - Sunday, Mar 26, 2006 at 19:35

Sunday, Mar 26, 2006 at 19:35
We will do close to 20,000 KM in 16 weeks, over 50% off the bitumen. Hope the Oddy is still following us when we get home. Should be. I actually think it is tougher than the Hilux.
FollowupID: 417754

Reply By: Brian B- Sunday, Mar 26, 2006 at 19:36

Sunday, Mar 26, 2006 at 19:36
We did the horizontal falls August last year in a sea plane landed for lunch, and went through both falls in their boat, great stuff (heaps cheaper out of Derby than Broome).

We also flew the Bungles in a 4 seater Chopper absolutely worth the money for both trips (we flew from within the park but you can also fly out of Warmun). SWMBO who does not like to fly still raves about the Helicopter flight.

Regards

Brian B
Brian B (NT now Bris)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 163011

Reply By: Member - Alanc - Monday, Mar 27, 2006 at 00:00

Monday, Mar 27, 2006 at 00:00
In May 2003 we walked into the Mitchell Falls from the car park and then did a half hour helicopter flight over the falls and surrounding country and back to the carpark. Then from Kununurra we did a plane flight over Lake Argyle down to the Bungle Bungles back over the Argyle Diamond Mine to Kununurra .A few weeks later we drove into the Bungles which was good because it gave us a ground level perspective. Don't remember costs, whilst not cheap both trips were worth every penny.
The only other flight we should have taken but didn't was over the horizontal falls , heard many good reports on this trip from people we met in our travels.
What ever you do I'm sure you will enjoy it, its a great piece of Oz
AnswerID: 163055

Reply By: Gramps (NSW) - Monday, Mar 27, 2006 at 00:13

Monday, Mar 27, 2006 at 00:13
I was curious about the cost so did a search. Horizontal Falls looks like $495pp from Broome and $375pp from Derby according to this mob.

Horizontal Falls

Regards
AnswerID: 163058

Follow Up By: Member - Beatit (QLD) - Monday, Mar 27, 2006 at 14:33

Monday, Mar 27, 2006 at 14:33
This is the mob we did our flight with, and it was fantastic. Pays to know when the tides are at their best and plan a trip accordingly. The higher the tides the better the boat trip trough the falls. We did a full day trip and had time to fish while we were waiting. The owner is an ex commercial pilot and is based on the Gold Coast in the off season. He also flies the plane on some of the legs.

Kind regards
FollowupID: 417917

Reply By: maroni - Monday, Mar 27, 2006 at 09:26

Monday, Mar 27, 2006 at 09:26
we fly over the prince regent and mitchell falls out of drysdale station it was well worth the money.also did chopper flight out from el questro thru gorges ans over homestead both were great.
AnswerID: 163096

Reply By: atoyot - Monday, Mar 27, 2006 at 10:06

Monday, Mar 27, 2006 at 10:06
If you do decide to do the Kununurra flight over Lake Argyle and the Bungle Bungles, make sure you do it in the amphibian plane. We did that and they skimmed along the water of Lake Argyle for ages on the way back. It was absolutely amazing, and for the money, we got great value. You do get a better view of the Bungle Bungles in a chopper (did that one too), but I reckon the flight from Kununurra was better value.

We had organised a flight over the Horizontal W/Falls and we had talked the pilot into going out to the reef on the outgoing tide (you might have seen it in one of Malcolm Douglasses films when the reef just looks to be rising from the ocean), but the other people they had book couldn't make it so it got cancelled and we had to go so we missed that one. Extending the flight to do that was only another 20 mins and a few extra dollars, but well worth the money if you could organise it.

Andrew
AnswerID: 163097

Reply By: Greiglin - Monday, Mar 27, 2006 at 14:18

Monday, Mar 27, 2006 at 14:18
Mortgage the house, just a little, if you are in the area at least do the main three. We did the Broome - Horizontal trip (went with seair Broome)that links with Derby sea planes, the pilot on the sea plane could fly that bird, and the horizontal falls was at it's peak of the tide when we got there by boat, just a magnificent trip. Had 4-5 days at Mitchell Falls camp ground in June 2004 flew over that on the Surveyers Flight, ( booked that at the camp grounds office at Mitchell Falls) seeing the Plateau from the air was fantastic. Flew over the Bungles quite a few years back(flew out of Halls Creek) which we raved about for so long, but must say after actually having now been in there by road (much better) and spending time in that magical place if I had to choose one not to do it would be the Bungles flight. Having said that it's a close call so if you can do all of those three flights do them. We have never regretted spending money on those flights and at the time we really couldn't afford to do it. Our motto is, where here today, will we be back, can I pay for it now? Yep then we go for it. Which ever you decide on try and get the maximum of people to acompany you on each trip the cost usually is cheaper, ask people you meet before you book if they want to join you. you will be surprised at the amount of people you can get to go and it is a win win situation for everyone. Best thing of all you meet new friends, and quite often bump into them again further along in your travels.
Have a great trip.
Mish
AnswerID: 163149

Sponsored Links