Levuka

Submitted: Sunday, Mar 26, 2006 at 20:12
ThreadID: 32191 Views:3866 Replies:6 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Any one been to Levuka rainforest rec 4wd park , is good /bad/ugly ?? Worth going to with kids over easter ? or any time for that matter ? 7yr olds are had to please.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Cheiffy - Sunday, Mar 26, 2006 at 20:44

Sunday, Mar 26, 2006 at 20:44
I have been to Levuka a few times and have found the place to be clean and tidy with good facilities. The campsites are spacious and there is hot showers available as well. If you check out their website www.levuka.com.au you will find they also have activities planned for the Easter weekend. You may want to call and book if you plan on going there at Easter.

Cheers

Cheiffy

AnswerID: 163024

Follow Up By: Cheiffy - Sunday, Mar 26, 2006 at 20:45

Sunday, Mar 26, 2006 at 20:45
Almost forgot, the views are pretty spectacular as well.
FollowupID: 417771

Reply By: Keith_A (Qld) - Sunday, Mar 26, 2006 at 21:41

Sunday, Mar 26, 2006 at 21:41
Hi Alloy - If you are into 4wd tracks, particularly in a rainforest, then it is good.
We found the charges too high, and the facilities very basic.

For camping with children, I would recommend this site (in the same area).
Clarence River Wilderness - www.clarenceriver.com
Why -1. calm river with canoes available 24hrs ( free when we visited in Dec).
2. Platapus - at 5am as you drift down the river, you will see heaps of them.
3. Scenic area with 4wd tracks (but some lantana in places).
4. Animals & birds - Possums, bandicoots, local horse etc.
5. Well appointed camp kitchen.
6. Large mown grassy camping areas (aprox 5 acres).
7. Reasonable prices - $8 per adult; $4 per child.
8. Walking tracks;
The only down side - the entry track is 7 klms, and fairly steep in places.
So - a 4wd or an AWD (all wheel drive) is preferable.
It is a safe area, and a wildlife sanctury, with plenty to do.
From Brisbane, you go via Beaudesert; Woodenbong; Urbanville; Tooloom.

regards......................Keith
AnswerID: 163035

Reply By: Batboy - Monday, Mar 27, 2006 at 06:27

Monday, Mar 27, 2006 at 06:27
Levuka is fantastic for 4wding, awesome rainforest tracks and plenty of mud if its a bit wet. Easy tracks through to difficult

Camping is good with plenty of ouptions and lotsa grass. Choose between wide open grassy areas or smaller areas which will take about 5 campers. Facilities in camp area B (i think ) brand new gas showers

Entertainment for 7 year olds go to Clarence as above, though basic but clean facilities good camping heads of wild life and canoes are always free but you are restricted to a small area. As far as 4wding goes, forget it short easy tracks and lots of Lantana. The owners have no interest in 4wding and don't maintain the tracks and would be lucky to even know where they are. There are plenty of 4wd parks nearby if you need a fix. Brooklyn, Roverpark, Levuka, Emu creek

Jim
AnswerID: 163067

Reply By: Member. Rob M (QLD) - Monday, Mar 27, 2006 at 06:53

Monday, Mar 27, 2006 at 06:53
Alloy c/t

Havn't been for a couple of years, but agree with the above posts. Don't forget that it is a working cattle property, so don't forget the fly spray. Have a great easter.
Rob.M.
Rob M

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 163072

Follow Up By: Member - Coyote (SA) - Monday, Mar 27, 2006 at 07:50

Monday, Mar 27, 2006 at 07:50
Ditto... all positive comments above.. although I would add that at least one car with a winch is highly recommended if it is wet.. Many of the tracks are extrememly slippery in the wet and when I went with three other cars we found ourselves in a valley with a hill too slick and slippery to climb up one side.. so turned around and back tracked thway we had come to find the hill we had descended also too slick to climb ot of.. after some shovel work and tlaying of branched across the track (not envoronmentally firendly I know but bno other option) we eventually managed to get out.. Snatch straps were uselss and we were all in the hollw together. sounds silly i know, but it;s not like we all drove into the one bog.. this ware was about 1.5km long.. just a bugger really .. Have a ball and be prepared to get very dirty. lots of big water holes across tracks etc.. some wil lhave water over the bonnet, most with a firm base though.. stick to the usual rules.. and walk the hoes first.. ther eis also a great little 4WD 'test' track in one of theaddocks just behid the homestead and upon arrival they will give you a map..
FollowupID: 417816

Reply By: robak (QLD) - Monday, Mar 27, 2006 at 10:13

Monday, Mar 27, 2006 at 10:13
Alloy

We went there last year for a lopng weekend. The facilities are basic but ok. 4wd tracks are good and can be very slippery when wet. There's probably not that much there for kids but I'm sure they'd enjoy just running around the open space. When we took our little one he was only 3 months old so it made no difference to him.

Most of my pics are from levuka.

Cheers

R
AnswerID: 163099

Reply By: Travelling Pixie - Monday, Mar 27, 2006 at 12:42

Monday, Mar 27, 2006 at 12:42
Went there a few weeks ago as a recon for an Easter trip.

After talking to the owner, Levuka will likely be fairly busy at Easter with one of the Gold Coast 4wd clubs running an event there on that weekend.

Take plenty of drinking water as the park only supplies tank water and the numbers expected at Easter might go through that quickly.

I have a couple of young children (5 and 7) and they enjoyed the park (camp fires and cows). They will have some friends there at Easter so it will be more fun for them next time.

The camp sites can be a bit lumpy unless you have a camper trailer or look around a bit for a smooth area.

You better book with them too as I believe like most places, Easter is very busy.
AnswerID: 163134

Sponsored Links