Bizarre Tyre Wear on a Navara

Submitted: Sunday, Mar 26, 2006 at 21:32
ThreadID: 32194 Views:6941 Replies:9 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
Evening All

Need a knowledge and/or experienced based opinion or two here please.

Background:

Talking to a guy I have known for a long time tonight and he tells me this fascinating story re his new (05) Nissan .Navara.

Its done approx 25,000Kms and scrubbed the BeeJ’s out of both front tyres – inside edge to the point that they have to be replaced.

Major Tyre supplier here in Melbourne had a look and diagnosed wheel alignment as the culprit eg. Too much toe in..

The story gets a bit hazy here as I wasn’t privy to the conversations that took place.

However, the selling Nissan dealer was consulted and apparently without a blink of the eyelids states that it has been ‘overloaded’ causing the bum to hang lower than it should, subsequently lifting the front end commensurately which has produced the chronic tyre toe-in.

So he then rings Nissan HQ (you know, go to the top to get top c h i t) and after being told it was a dealer problem in the first instance – WE HAVE BEEN BUILDING THESE VEHICLES FOR AWHILE, YOU KNOW.

Vehicle is going to Dealers tomorrow for an assessment and weight thingo check.

Then the aforementioned Tyre Dealer plays around with hoists or jacks and allegedly by raising and lowering the back end the Toe-in changed before everyone’s eyes by 12deg’s.

Query:

Has anyone ever heard of this type of thing happening before.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Willem - Sunday, Mar 26, 2006 at 22:00

Sunday, Mar 26, 2006 at 22:00
In the great scheme of things and of life, for which the answer is 42, I have never come across such a problem. Nor have I even heard of a Navara with such a problem. Then again I think that there is only one Navara in town...lol

Not having the full story presents a bit of a problem here and maybe you should do some more sleuthing before posting next time, Miss Lucy...lol

Could be the bloke(whom you have known for a long time) either hit a kerb somewhere in sunny downtown Melbourne ,or has been running his front tyres at 10psi when no one was looking!!!!!
AnswerID: 163039

Follow Up By: Member - 'Lucy' - Sunday, Mar 26, 2006 at 22:32

Sunday, Mar 26, 2006 at 22:32
Read the below followup and GIT! to bed where you belong at your age.

PS

Have a slurp of the PP juice before doing so.
FollowupID: 417790

Reply By: Muddy doe (SA) - Sunday, Mar 26, 2006 at 22:16

Sunday, Mar 26, 2006 at 22:16
Yeah, 12 degrees is a fair bit!

The 120 Prado allegedly has a similar problem with the front tyres scrubbing out pretty quick however I have been able to avoid this problem with 2 simple measures:

1) ROTATE the tyres every 5,000km. My tyre dealer does it for free because he thinks I am a really good bloke because I spend money there buying tyres!

2) Check the alignment and check for excessive to-in every 5,000km. Again my friendly tyre dealer does this for free.

How can you get to 25,000km and then suddenly look at the tyres and say "hmmmm they looked STUFFED". Does not take long to do proper maintenance and checking.....

Sorry if this a more general response and does not address a vehicle specific issue but given the fact that it happens on the Prado as well, I do feel qualified to give an opinion. It has not been a problem for me but that may be because I look after my tyres!

Cheers
Muddy
AnswerID: 163043

Follow Up By: Willem - Sunday, Mar 26, 2006 at 22:36

Sunday, Mar 26, 2006 at 22:36
Hey Mud

Where ya been?????
FollowupID: 417791

Follow Up By: Member - 'Lucy' - Sunday, Mar 26, 2006 at 22:38

Sunday, Mar 26, 2006 at 22:38
You sir! are a disgrace casting aspersions upon a fellow 'mexican', who just uses his 4WD as a daily driver around work sites.

Its the ones that sell and service these viehicles, all for a $ I might add, that need a roost up the old probverbial.

Now you can GIT to bed as well

PS

One thing for sure is, that the JEEP just did a flying trip to SYDNEY and rtd'd towing a heavy piece of gear just as fast without a hiccup (Thank the mighty one).

Just chewed more juice as I told it, it had to sit on the same speed going home as it sat on going.

I was waiting with baited breath for one of the 26 dash warning lights to come . Nah! its a thorough bred now - just takes the field with the best of them and leads from the front (Ooooooh! that makes me want to ROFLMAO)

C U soon Mr Doe

FollowupID: 417792

Follow Up By: Member - 'Lucy' - Sunday, Mar 26, 2006 at 22:39

Sunday, Mar 26, 2006 at 22:39
Willie

He has been trying to figure our why he hasn't got 12.
FollowupID: 417794

Follow Up By: Muddy doe (SA) - Sunday, Mar 26, 2006 at 22:52

Sunday, Mar 26, 2006 at 22:52
What's this 'fellow mexican' crap!

Good to hear the Jeep has not fallen to bits yet.

See ya soon - if ya think the Jeep can catch the Prado!

Willem,
Been around visiting places and enjoying life in harness!

Cheers
Muddy
FollowupID: 417795

Reply By: Member - 'Lucy' - Sunday, Mar 26, 2006 at 22:30

Sunday, Mar 26, 2006 at 22:30
Thats just what I would expect from a couple of crow eaters.

You two should be in bed and for different reasons from each other (LOL)

Also, just because you, I and others are always looking at our 4WD's for something, anything, to be 'happening', doesn't mean to say everybody does.

Whether it was 12 degrees, 12 minutes, 12 seconds, 12 inches, 12 mm - who cares, I am more interested in the alleged cause of having 'your bum' below the horizontal plane, so to speak of, causing the front to lift and there by changing the wheel alignment.

No doubt he will rock up to Nissan tomorrow and they will tell him that it is 12PSI (ROFLMAO) , blind him with bull c h i t and send him on his way.

I'll see him next Saturday so I'll hopefully be able to take it a bit further.

AnswerID: 163045

Follow Up By: Willem - Sunday, Mar 26, 2006 at 22:39

Sunday, Mar 26, 2006 at 22:39
Maybe it was all the slabs of beer you blokes have bin drinking what made the arse end sag.

I have seen quite a few arse ends sag from too much beer(front as well)..LOLOLOL

Goodnite...going to bed now
FollowupID: 417793

Reply By: Member - Athol (NSW, 2527) - Monday, Mar 27, 2006 at 04:34

Monday, Mar 27, 2006 at 04:34
Hi Lucy,
I have no excessive wear on the edges but the centre tread bar on the fronts have worn , probably due to over inflation at 20,000 km. But it just seamed to happen overnight, so these things can sneak up on you. Had them rotated at the 20,000 k service and am keeping a better eye on pressures now.

Athol
AnswerID: 163063

Reply By: brian - Monday, Mar 27, 2006 at 06:38

Monday, Mar 27, 2006 at 06:38
If has scrubbed the INSIDE edges wouldnt it be towed OUT
AnswerID: 163070

Reply By: robak (QLD) - Monday, Mar 27, 2006 at 10:21

Monday, Mar 27, 2006 at 10:21
The front would only be lifted if the overloading was behind the rear axle. So unless your mate was constatntly carrying a full toolbox (or simmilar) at the back of the tray then I think the dealer is speaking bleep .

R.
AnswerID: 163100

Reply By: phil - Monday, Mar 27, 2006 at 10:42

Monday, Mar 27, 2006 at 10:42
Dear Lucy,

The front suspension of my Mazda Bravo is quite sensitive to ride height. When I bought it (new) it had a Mazda fitted TJM steel bar and the ride height was a bit low causing alignment and tyre wear problems similar to what you describe. Mazda actually fitted new torsion bars and then set the height correctly. Tyre wear is now even and alignment within spec.

This may be common with IFS front ends.

Phil I
AnswerID: 163105

Follow Up By: Member - 'Lucy' - Monday, Mar 27, 2006 at 11:42

Monday, Mar 27, 2006 at 11:42
Amazing thing is Phil, he had two Mazda Bravo's prior to the Navara and never had a problem like this with either of them.

Just unpacked the Bravo and repacked everything (what ever it was) into the Navara.
FollowupID: 417865

Reply By: Doodle - Monday, Mar 27, 2006 at 11:16

Monday, Mar 27, 2006 at 11:16
Hi Lucy,

Tyres scrub on the inside usually because of “tow out” or negative camber. Tow In will result in the outside edges wearing first.
If the front end was light due to excessive weight beyond the rear axle, the result would be excessive wear on the outside edges of the tyres – not the inside.
This doesn’t solve the problem but rules out “tow in” or excessive weight in the rear if it was the inside inside edges worn. Regular wheel alignments and rotations dramatically increase tyre life.

Cheers, Doodle.
AnswerID: 163115

Reply By: brian - Monday, Mar 27, 2006 at 13:41

Monday, Mar 27, 2006 at 13:41
If a major melb tyre supplier and nissan dealership dont realise TOW OUT causes scrubbing of the inner edges i think i would go eleswhere,what hope can these people have.
AnswerID: 163147

Sponsored Links