Road side assistance

Submitted: Monday, Mar 27, 2006 at 20:20
ThreadID: 32230 Views:2496 Replies:7 FollowUps:12
This Thread has been Archived
Does anybody know of a roadside assistance company like worldcare assist. I am going on a trip to the Kimberleys and Gibb river road from brisbane so Iam looking for a company I can take out some sort of cover with in case I breakdown while in the outback. If anybody can help I would be greatful
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Wayne (NSW) - Monday, Mar 27, 2006 at 21:14

Monday, Mar 27, 2006 at 21:14
tripod,

How much are you willing to pay?

How long are you prepared to sit on the side of the road waiting for help?

How are you going to get in touch with road side assist?

How will you know where you are so you can tell. The Gibb River Road is very long.

How much are you prepared to pay for parts to be shipped to you.

Hypothetical break down. A hole in the radiator. Gibb River Road.

You do get in touch with road side assist, and tell them there is a hole in the radiator. 2 days later after the new radiator arrives at road side assist. It takes them 2 days to find you on the road. 1 day latter you are back on the road after you have to pay for the radiator COD.

Minimum of 5 days lost, could have been fixed in 5 min with some black pepper.

This is why if you don't know how to fix a broken down vehicle don't go alone. If you can't find someone to go with there are always 4WD clubs or Tag- Along company's that know how, and do this all the time.

Wayne

AnswerID: 163296

Follow Up By: Member - Doug T (QLD) - Monday, Mar 27, 2006 at 21:29

Monday, Mar 27, 2006 at 21:29
Well put VKS Romeo 4254
If he has a HF radio and is a member of VKS then I reackon thats about the best insurance one can have
gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 418020

Reply By: Willem - Monday, Mar 27, 2006 at 22:13

Monday, Mar 27, 2006 at 22:13
I suggest you stay at home or go on a tour with a reputable tour company
AnswerID: 163315

Follow Up By: Willem - Tuesday, Mar 28, 2006 at 18:48

Tuesday, Mar 28, 2006 at 18:48
OK maybe I was being too harsh and a bit cynical.

The answer is that there are AFAIK only the Auto Mobile Associations Australia wide who off roadside assist. They again may draw the line at 150km from a service outlet.

If you could get insurance it would be very expensive.

To best enjoy your trip make sure that your vehcile is in good order and well set up for the journey so that you minimise the chance of a breakdown.
FollowupID: 418208

Reply By: Footloose - Monday, Mar 27, 2006 at 22:56

Monday, Mar 27, 2006 at 22:56
Tripod, I will try and be gentle, bearing in mind that I agree wholeheartedly with the other replies.
Your state motoring club should have an "extracare" option. If you rent a satphone or have voice communications (HF?) , you can get a message to these organizations. They will use their resources to try and extricate you from situations where the vehicle is immobile. Bear in mind that this may be at your cost and cost will be big time.
As the others say, if this worries you, find another option such as a tag a long tour.
AnswerID: 163327

Reply By: Raymond from Wanderin 4 Wheelers - Tuesday, Mar 28, 2006 at 07:29

Tuesday, Mar 28, 2006 at 07:29
Down Boys

Tripod has asked a legitimate question, he did not say he was not going to be prepared, he just wants some insurance to cover him if he has a major problem.

1st check with your State motoring organization for the cost of total car package and check what they cover for you. World assist will cover you for a price.

My problem is I have a motorhome and the RACV etc won't touch it with a barge pole. My vehicle insurance has a recovery package included if I breakdown. I also am a member and operator for VKS737 and have found that they can help out in lots of cases, even getting a full axle assembly to a guy on CSR.

One other point is if you make sure you carry the spares that the vehicle may require and a good tool kit it is surprising how many things you can fix or another traveller on the road will help you fix. To me the most annoying part is to stop and find that the vehicle broken down has no spares and no tools to make the repairs and still expects you to fix it

Ray
AnswerID: 163370

Follow Up By: Member - Peter R (QLD) - Tuesday, Mar 28, 2006 at 08:48

Tuesday, Mar 28, 2006 at 08:48
I broke down towing a van on the way to Kununara (110k away)and used a borrowed sat phone to phone the RACQ, (Ultra plus member).

Whilst there was some initial problem due to the fact I was a Queensland club member , broken down in the NT and the nearest point of relief was in WA , eventually the demarcation problem was resolved and we were towed back (car on tray and van behind) to Kununara.

During trip back the driver said he had just got back from a job on the Gibb River Rd.

Our Ulta Plus entitled us to i think 120k free tow (it coswt me naught and I also had 5 days free accom and car hire whilst repairs carried out), so check out your local car organisation.

Towing company was part of "Kimberley Exhaust & Spring Centre" phone 08 9169 1463 , and they also did the repairs to my vehicle.

Pedro
FollowupID: 418120

Follow Up By: Peter - Tuesday, Mar 28, 2006 at 09:37

Tuesday, Mar 28, 2006 at 09:37
Raymond,
Agree whole heartedly with your comments. Tripod never said he was going alone, or didn't know how to conduct basic repairs. We can't all replace a broken gearbox or tail shaft with fencing wire as I suppose the others can. He is simply asking a question on safety which we probably have all considered at some time. It was assumed by all the 'experts' that he is incompetent and therefore should not be venturing in to the outback.
I'm sorry but this is the reason I haven't become a member. I have seen legitimate questions asked on generators and vehicle problems etc. only to have 'experts' belittle people for trying to obtain information. I thought the the reason this site existed was so that we could all gain constructive advice, not to be berated for asking an innocent question.
FollowupID: 418135

Follow Up By: old mate - Tuesday, Mar 28, 2006 at 11:50

Tuesday, Mar 28, 2006 at 11:50
Peter and Raymond,

Well said gentlemen, you get called a fool for not asking questions and in this case Tripod asks the questions and gets his legs cut off! I too would look at my motoring organisation first to see if one of their Plus or Ultra categories may help him out.
FollowupID: 418158

Follow Up By: Sand Man (SA) - Tuesday, Mar 28, 2006 at 17:03

Tuesday, Mar 28, 2006 at 17:03
Peter,

"I'm sorry but this is the reason I haven't become a member".

Don't blame Members of ExplorOz, they are not sole "experts".

And sorry mate, your excuse for not becoming one is not valid.

Whether a member or visitor, a contributor on any topic has an equal status in providing input. The expertise, or acceptance of that input is usually established by individuals over a period of time and based generally on the quality or usefulness of the contribution, or subject matter, regardless of member or visitor status, or how old or young they may be, or whether they be male or female.

Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 418191

Follow Up By: Wombat - Tuesday, Mar 28, 2006 at 18:01

Tuesday, Mar 28, 2006 at 18:01
Hmmmmmm! I think his excuse for not becoming a member is valid, Sandman. Tripod asked an honest question only to be told "Stay home, stupid" by the experts. I know what my reaction would have been if one of my early questions had been responded to in a similar manner.
FollowupID: 418201

Follow Up By: Sand Man (SA) - Tuesday, Mar 28, 2006 at 22:08

Tuesday, Mar 28, 2006 at 22:08
Wombat,

Without singling out any particular individual, being a member of ExplorOz does NOT automatically qualify that person as an expert in any form and on any topic whatsoever.

The information given and the way it is delivered, will generate acceptance (or otherwise) by others which may, over a period of time, qualify an individual as an "expert" on a particular topic.
Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 418266

Follow Up By: Member - John (Vic) - Wednesday, Mar 29, 2006 at 23:29

Wednesday, Mar 29, 2006 at 23:29
If the excuse for not becoming a member is that you don't like the answers provided, Then why even bother visiting the site in the first place?

It is after all a public forum and public opinion, good or bad is what you will get.

VKS737 - Mobile 6352 (Selcall 6352)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 418545

Follow Up By: Peter - Thursday, Mar 30, 2006 at 10:29

Thursday, Mar 30, 2006 at 10:29
John
Unfortunately your answer only reinforces my argument. A Forum is a place to ask questions and gain information. Too many times I've seen comments made about peoples questions etc. (and normally by the same members), that deride and denegrate other forumites for simply trying to gain some knowledge (if you don't believe me do a search for topics about generators for example, and read the responses). People were asking about fuel types and capacity etc and where howled down for being fools who can't live without power. They're are many different circumstances where power may be required. As far as I'm concerned I only comment on subjects where I might be able to assist the enquirer, and that may be by posting either a positive or negative responsive, but I don't denegrate the person for asking the question. Maybe I'm just a bit more tolerant than some others, but if people can't ask a genuine question (regardless of how it appears to everyone else), then why bother having the Forum?
FollowupID: 418627

Reply By: Member - Barry C (NT) - Tuesday, Mar 28, 2006 at 22:30

Tuesday, Mar 28, 2006 at 22:30
Hey guys and gals --- at least he has asked for advice BEFORE proceding. That should be enough to support tripod. Isn't that what we are about?? This is one reason I joined, to learn from others especially those who know how to do it,,, the been there done that guys and gals have heaps to offer.

A little tolerance would be good, especially as there is likely to be others seeking similar info. Do we want to deter questions or others seeking info especially safety related issues????

As I step off the holier than thou soapbox,,, I hope some of the advice above has helped you tripod. Hang in there.

Barry
AnswerID: 163554

Reply By: tripod - Wednesday, Mar 29, 2006 at 20:10

Wednesday, Mar 29, 2006 at 20:10
Hi everybody ,
Thanks for all your responses to my question on roadside assistance. I will check out the racq and see if they can help. Just for the record I am going with another car and we are taking a hf radio extra spares tools fueland any thing else we can think of to make sure we are self suffient. My mate in the other car that I am going with has done considerable travel through the centre of australia and is a mechanic by trade and I am a panelbeater by trade and have also done outback and other 4wd for many years so we are not novices. The reason for the question was that we used to use world care when we went on trips but it has now closed down and we used to have them just as a backup in case of a vehicle breakdown and they would be able to organize all the bits and peices although we have never had to use them yet . Thanks again for all your coments (good and bad) and maybe one day I can help you out or see you on a trip.

regards Tripod
AnswerID: 163711

Follow Up By: Member - John (Vic) - Wednesday, Mar 29, 2006 at 22:54

Wednesday, Mar 29, 2006 at 22:54
Tripod I think you were originally referring to the Mondale World Wide Assist which as you stated no longer does 4wd recovery.
I think you will find that no one (RACV, RACQ etc etc) will cover you for any recovery on a road or track other than a 2wd road.

Cheers
VKS737 - Mobile 6352 (Selcall 6352)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 418541

Follow Up By: Peter - Thursday, Mar 30, 2006 at 10:22

Thursday, Mar 30, 2006 at 10:22
Tripod,
Made for an interesting topic anyhow. I used to belond to World Care Assist. Only used them once when I broke a diff just out of Dalhousie Springs. They covered all the recovery costs, but then when I went to renew them the following year that had ceased providing 4wd cover. I have RACQ Ultra but like most others they seem to cover mainly on-road situations. It seems like you're pretty well covered anyhow with 2 vehicles plus your experience.
Have a good trip and if something does happen no doubt it will work out in the end
Peter
FollowupID: 418625

Reply By: Member - Bware (Tweed Valley) - Thursday, Mar 30, 2006 at 00:13

Thursday, Mar 30, 2006 at 00:13
Hmmm, interesting how this post has developed. No one specifically gave tripod a hard time except Willem (and turned from the dark side of the force in his reply LOL) It is valid to say that sometimes asking questions attracts attacks that seem inappropriate. Yet there is merit in suggesting that ANYONE who posts should state their question fully so that their question cannot be misinterpreted.
Then again, that's what makes for good reading!
AnswerID: 163778

Sponsored Links