Ann Beadall Track

Submitted: Tuesday, Mar 28, 2006 at 11:29
ThreadID: 32254 Views:1811 Replies:4 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
I Am doing the Ann Beadall track East to West in September.
Is this track suitable for a Kimberley Kamper.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Glenn (VIC) - Tuesday, Mar 28, 2006 at 15:59

Tuesday, Mar 28, 2006 at 15:59
Hi Yuilly,

I will be traversing the Anne Beadell in September from West to East towing a Tambo Camper. I think you will be fine with a Kimberley Kamper. I will be on the track from 3/9/06 to approx 10/9/06.

Cheers

Glenn
AnswerID: 163456

Reply By: Crackles - Tuesday, Mar 28, 2006 at 18:13

Tuesday, Mar 28, 2006 at 18:13
The Kimberly is well constructed so would hold together on the Anne Beadell without too many issues although it doesn't really matter how good a trailer is, heavily loaded at high speed you'd brake almost all of them.
Cheers Craig..........
AnswerID: 163478

Reply By: Member - Jim (Syd) - Tuesday, Mar 28, 2006 at 19:30

Tuesday, Mar 28, 2006 at 19:30
Below is a copy of my reply to "Major" a couple of days ago. The main emphasis for you is the corrugations. Also towing the trailer out to the plane wreck is possible but hard work if the track is dry as you need to go over several sand dunes, not travelling parallel with them as most of the ABH does.

We did this trip in July 2005. Our route ran from Laverton to Coober Pedy. The fuel stop is at Ilkurlka, which is as said about 180 kms west of the SA/WA border, or about 850+ Kms west of Coober Pedy. I posted my fuel results under Trek Fuel for the Anne Beadell Hwy. The trip is very rough on the SA side in particular. Watch your loading. We found the best tyre pressures were about 25psi in the front and 35psi in the rear (depends on your load) at a speed of about 42 km/h on the corrugations. There are some sand moguls and they come up unexpectedly so watch out. The 100 kms from the border and west is quite sandy in parts, but it depends on rain, (they don't get much). The roughest section is from the dog fence to Emu Claypan however from there to the border is not much better. Mulga spikes accounted for 5 tyres in our group (9 vehicles) and the odd rock a couple more, including an alloy rim.
Fuel, basic supplies and reliable water is only available at Ilkurlka. There are some rainwater tanks set up by the WA govt and since it has rained they may be okay. Next chance is Laverton.
The people are fantastic, the camping ground is good, has a red carpet and a hot shower after you get the boiler stoked up. If you get to speak with the traditional owners the Spinifex People, they are only too pleased to tell you about their mob and their land. The last wanderers from their mob to make contact with white fellas, did so in 1987. Peter Twigg who runs the roadhouse with his wife can interpret for you. The roadhouse has a range of local art work and their own souvenir baseball cap!
Take at least a week and enjoy the scenery. Some good side trips including the Plane wreck. Good camping also at Yeo Lakes (good well water available), Neale Junction, east side of Serpentine lakes, Vokes Hill Corner, Anne's Corner, 30 kms east of Emu, and Tallaringa Well.
Finally, don't forget the permits, and don't go venturing into the Oak Valley territory, the fine for going into this closed community's backyard is about $2700 and there are no excuses.

Have fun

Jim
Jim
VKS 737
Call Sign Mobile 2737

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 163495

Reply By: Member- Rox (WA) - Tuesday, Mar 28, 2006 at 20:05

Tuesday, Mar 28, 2006 at 20:05
Well said above but I think I counted 4 Shed tanks along the trip.
Kangaroo tails are available at the roadhouse and they are a delicacy.
AnswerID: 163509

Sponsored Links