Arkaroola to Innamincka

Submitted: Tuesday, Feb 04, 2003 at 21:26
ThreadID: 3232 Views:3296 Replies:4 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Can any one provide feedback on what the road between Arkaroola to the Strezleki at Mount Hopeless is like? Is it worth taking? I am researching a way to Innaminkca via Arkaroola without back tracking.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Steve - Tuesday, Feb 04, 2003 at 22:17

Tuesday, Feb 04, 2003 at 22:17
As you don't say where you are leaving from ....a tad tricky, but basically this is a standard dirt road.... no dramas ... as usual a much different road in wet times ,, but would not get worried unless the heavens opened tha day you were about to leave !!
AnswerID: 12505

Follow Up By: Colin - Tuesday, Feb 04, 2003 at 23:01

Tuesday, Feb 04, 2003 at 23:01
Steve,

We will be staying at Spear Creek over easter, and the plan is to go home to Sydney via Innamincka and Cameron Corner. While we are close I thought that Arkaroola looked like a good place to visit, and was wondering whether to loop back to Lyndhurst or go north up to mount Hopeless. Is there anything interesting on the way through? having never visited that part of the world many other questions are in my head.
FollowupID: 7303

Reply By: Steve - Tuesday, Feb 04, 2003 at 22:17

Tuesday, Feb 04, 2003 at 22:17
As you don't say where you are leaving from ....a tad tricky, but basically this is a standard dirt road.... no dramas ... as usual a much different road in wet times ,, but would not get worried unless the heavens opened tha day you were about to leave !!
AnswerID: 12506

Reply By: Stevo - Wednesday, Feb 05, 2003 at 09:02

Wednesday, Feb 05, 2003 at 09:02
Collin
no need to back track. Continue on from Arkaroola, Bolla Bollana, Yudnamutana, Hamilton Creek, Mt Fitton Outstation, Moolawatana and on to the Stretzlecki. From Yudnamutana to Mt Fitton is rough and slow going but has the best scenery the Northern Flinders has to offer.
From Mt Fitton on they are public roads that are well maintained. You will require permission from the Station lessees however and 1:50000 series topographic maps.
AnswerID: 12523

Reply By: Member - Willem- Wednesday, Feb 05, 2003 at 13:04

Wednesday, Feb 05, 2003 at 13:04
Colin, I did this trip in December 2002. From Arkaroola you may backtrack a short distance to Balcanoona the NP HQ and take the road(track) up to Moolawatana Station and on past Mt Hopeless. From Balcanoona the first 20km is very rough with lots of wash outs but maybe by the time you get there the road has been graded. From Moolawatana to Mt Hopeless the road is OK. On this route there are no requirements for permission to cross any private properties and the countryside is just as scenic. Once you get to the Strezlecki it is a big graded 100kmh (if you wish) road.
Alternatively you could take the Echo Camp track from Arkaroola Village, along the river bed and over the hills(reasonably rough) and quite steep in places but a good 4x4 track and head for Paralana Radio-active Springs. According to my map there are two bush tracks from Paralana which connect up with the Balcanoona/Mt Hopeless road. This could be a bit of an adventure. I couldn't find the tracks(Sept 2001) but it was raining and we were hell bent on getting ahead of the water so I did not search too hard. Cheers, W
AnswerID: 12542

Follow Up By: Member - Mike - Wednesday, Feb 05, 2003 at 13:33

Wednesday, Feb 05, 2003 at 13:33
Can confirm Willem's response. On the Strez you can camp at Montecollina Bore (A NPWS site and a great spot)
Believe Paralan Springs access to Mt Hopeless now closed.
Mike
PS was there in November 2002
FollowupID: 7318

Sponsored Links