2WD DARWIN TO MELBOURNE

Submitted: Sunday, Jul 22, 2001 at 00:00
ThreadID: 324 Views:2061 Replies:2 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
I am flying into Darwin on the 20th Oct 2001 where I will pick up a 2wd campervan. My aim is to be in Melbourne by the 6th Nov to meet my son at the airport. I would like to visit the top end, Kakadu, Litchfield Kimberley the red centre and end in Melbourne. I appreciate that time is limited and that I will have to cover a lot of miles, but I would be grateful if anyone has any ideas on itineraries and places to visit etc. What permits will I need for both national parks and the possible crossing of Aboriginal land in the states of NT, SA, VIC and NSW?

I appreciate that I am limited with a 2wd but any out of way places accessible by 2wd would be appreciated.

Thanks to all who offer info and advice.

Regards John
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Linda - ExplorOz team - Tuesday, Jul 24, 2001 at 00:00

Tuesday, Jul 24, 2001 at 00:00
Hi John, There are a number of treks on the site that cover the areas you're talking about. All include what permits and national park fees are payable, so suggest you start there if you haven't already. The Litchfield trek has just been included. Regards Aboriginal land, for where you can go with a 2wd, you may not need to cross Aboriginal land as its usually 4wd. If you'd like further information, suggest you purchase Discover Australia by 4WD (available in the Shop on this site) as it covers all the areas you plan to travel to and includes 2wd tracks as well. Enjoy your trip! Regards, Linda (ExplorOz)
AnswerID: 794

Reply By: Jim Carroll - Sunday, Aug 05, 2001 at 00:00

Sunday, Aug 05, 2001 at 00:00
John - Further to Linda's reply to your question, I would suggest you include the following as "must sees" on your journey.

Berry Springs and the Territory Wildlife Park, about 70 Kms south of Darwin, then on to Litchfield Park via "the back road" which is well signposted. The last time I was therre, about 4 years ago, there was about 50 kms of dirt road, but upgrading was in progress, so there is probably less dirt road now. From Litchfield Park head back towards Darwin via Batchelor then on to Kakadu. After Kakadu go on to Katherine and see Edith Falls and Katherine Gorge. The head for Alice Springs, but do call into the Daly Waters Pub which is a short distance off the Highway.

There is a lot to see around Alice Springs, The Desert Wildlife Park, and other attractions. If you have the time, youj could go to Kings Canyon and Ayers Rock via the Mereenie Loop Road passing the West Macdonnell Ranges with superb scenery, various gorges etc. There is quita a bit of dirt road and some maps might recommend four wheel drive, but I was over that road in May last year, admittedly in a fourwheel drive, but would not have had any trouble in traversing it in a conventional vehicle.

After Ayers Rock, you should proceed through Coober Pedy and on to Port Augusta in South Australia. I doubt that you would have very much time left at this stage, which is a pity because the Flinders Ranges which are visible from around Port Augusta are will worth a visit. From Port Augusta there are several routes which you could
follow to get you to Melbourne.

Darwin to Melbourne would be somewhere in the vicinity of 4000 kilometres, and it is a shame that you have allowed yourself such a limited amount of time in which to explore the "Top End" and "Red Centre", however, have a great trikp.
AnswerID: 850

Sponsored Links