aftermarket turbo

Submitted: Friday, Feb 07, 2003 at 10:20
ThreadID: 3258 Views:2837 Replies:3 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
morning all
I am looking at fitting a turbo/intercooler to a 75 troopy/1hz, can anyone offer advise on brands, kits, problems etc. any info greatly appreciated.
I can do my own installation and so would prefer a kit form.
cheers
tony
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Truckster - Friday, Feb 07, 2003 at 10:37

Friday, Feb 07, 2003 at 10:37
We fitted a Denco (www.dencodiesel.com) to a mate car 4 weekends ago.. Kit form INCLUDING COMPLETE EXHAUST! Excellent! So easy with a good toolbox.

This was so simple I couldnt believe it. Id never tried to do anything like this before, and it took us a day which inc fixing some snapped studs on the manafold.

Complete instructions the lot.

I also have a Denco on mine, but was fitted by a shop, I didnt realise it was so easy to do, could have saved me $300.... :(

There are others
DTS - the guy there could never answer my questions..
Safari - better for high revs..
Denco - better for low down power/torque

Infact there are OODLES of turbo brands out there. Pick up a 4wd monthly and check the ads, infact they are easier to find than articles these days :(

www.are.com.au is a good place to reserach Turbos adn their effects.

They have been known to cause overheating problems on some cars... GOto your local Toyota landcruiser club and have a word to the people there. If your in Sydney, they have 3500 members!
AnswerID: 12649

Reply By: cruiser - Friday, Feb 07, 2003 at 12:08

Friday, Feb 07, 2003 at 12:08
Helton,

Don't know where you are located, but if this is of any help, I had an aftermarket turbo fitted just 12 months ago by Turbo Glide in Wollongong.

Price then was $3170.00 supplied and fitted with a mandrel bent sports exhaust. No hidden extras. They dyno the vehicle before fitting and then again afterwards and gaurantee a minimum of 30% increase in both Kw and torque. In my case I got 50% increase in both to 89Kw at rear wheels and 312Nm of torque.

Vehicle pulls like a train and will cruise very happily all day long on 100 - 130 KPH towing a Campomatic camper trailer weighing approx 750Kg fully loaded, and still return approx 15.5L/100K

Very happy.
AnswerID: 12655

Follow Up By: Bat - Friday, Feb 07, 2003 at 13:41

Friday, Feb 07, 2003 at 13:41
Hi,We have two work 75 one with a safari $3800 and the other a turbo glide $3100 the safari has more go then the turbo glide but it cost more and will the motor last as long?They are worth the money they are diffence trucks after being turbo.
FollowupID: 7405

Reply By: chopper - Friday, Feb 07, 2003 at 18:48

Friday, Feb 07, 2003 at 18:48
I put a DTS yurbo on 20 months ago and have been veryhappy with it.

I have always found them to be very helpful (i ring the office in Toowoomba, that's where they put them together)

I do believe that the turbo accelerated the bottom end wear on my 2H, (it had done around 350 000 at the time). I've sinced replaced the engine and now can really see the benefit of the turbo..

I run at 9.5psi but can do 100km/h sitting at 7-8psi. If i'm working a long hill, or soft sand with the turbo on full song, there is a marked rise and operating temp and therefore performance.

BTW i've always had a snorkel and 2.5" exhaust but i did replace the mufler with a straight through jobbie.
i believe it made a difference.,

best of luck, it will be money well spent

chopper
AnswerID: 12671

Sponsored Links