Puntawarri Track (CSR)

Submitted: Saturday, Apr 08, 2006 at 11:35
ThreadID: 32674 Views:2838 Replies:4 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
Does anyone have any information on the Puntawarri Track? - (from Cannings Cairn on the CSR through to Jigalong).
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Willem - Saturday, Apr 08, 2006 at 21:43

Saturday, Apr 08, 2006 at 21:43
Is this a recent track. I cannot find any reference in either Natmap Rasters or Great Desert Tracks maps.
AnswerID: 165871

Follow Up By: waymun - Sunday, Apr 09, 2006 at 07:04

Sunday, Apr 09, 2006 at 07:04
This is a track that we notice has just shown up on the latest Hema maps (Great Desert Tracks & Pilbara). Is says that it is becoming overgrown.
We are heading off next week on a trip which will take us from Tassie, west to Ceduna, up the Googs, along the Ann Beadell and north up the CSR. We were planning on heading west into the Pilbara via the Talawana Track but with the weather of late in the West, we are looking for alternatives.
We don't remember seeing the Track turn-off on our last trip up the CSR in 2004, but then we didn't know it existed either.
Cheers
FollowupID: 420804

Follow Up By: Willem - Sunday, Apr 09, 2006 at 09:06

Sunday, Apr 09, 2006 at 09:06
Thanks everyone for the follow-up info.

Yes, I don't recall seeing a track going west from Cannings Cairn but it has been 12 years since I was there last....lol

I also do not have the latest GDT maps but do have the latest Natmaps and there isn't a track shown there. Then again it depends on when the last survey was done.

Cheers
FollowupID: 420823

Reply By: Member - Ed. C.- Saturday, Apr 08, 2006 at 22:51

Saturday, Apr 08, 2006 at 22:51
Quote from Hema Great Desert Tracks (N W sheet).........

"This is an extremely isolated and sometimes treacherous track which should only be attempted by experienced and well-equipped travellers using two or more vehicles. Contact Rob Boegheim at Hema Maps rob@hemamaps.com.au for more information"
... end quote..
Also marked on the map "becoming overgrown"...

Hmmm... It would appear that it is not a busy thoroughfare..

Next time I'm out that way, I'll go have a look-see, & let ya know;-))))

Confucius say.....
"He who lie underneath automobile with tool in hand,
....Not necessarily mechanic!!"

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 165879

Follow Up By: waymun - Sunday, Apr 09, 2006 at 07:13

Sunday, Apr 09, 2006 at 07:13
Thanks Ed,
We are travelling in a group of 3 vehicles and have quite a bit of experience now. I notice this track has only just shown up on the latest Hema maps and will contact Rob at Hema to see what else he can tells us. We are heading off next weekend from the Eastern states and are hoping the tracks dry out/open by the time we end up in the West.
Cheers
FollowupID: 420806

Reply By: Member - sparra - Sunday, Apr 09, 2006 at 07:09

Sunday, Apr 09, 2006 at 07:09
g'day waymun,give jiggalong a ring,0891757020.also keep an eye out for future editions of 4wdmonthly,i bumped into one of their regular travel contributors out that way,was submitting an article on that trip. cheers sparra
no good being the richest man in the cemetry

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 165894

Follow Up By: waymun - Sunday, Apr 09, 2006 at 07:16

Sunday, Apr 09, 2006 at 07:16
Thanks for the info sparra. We will give that a try also.
Cheers
FollowupID: 420808

Reply By: andy - Sunday, Apr 09, 2006 at 18:10

Sunday, Apr 09, 2006 at 18:10
Good day Waymun

Puntawarri is an abandoned outstation more or less east of Jiggalong near the Savory Creek at approx. 23 25' 49" south and 121 36' 12" east (premium 2005, 250k natmap "Guayanya").

Last year we travelled on a station track east along the Savory branching off the Jiggalong Mission road near Cundlebar Station (ruins). The track is shown on the "Robertson" Natmap and, although not shown, goes through to Puntawarri (good track). The track from Puntawarri to Durba Hills was nice and well defined and went around several boggy areas. After last years heavy rains we had to go crosscountry over the hills for a few km shortly after the Savory Crossing to avoid the deep water on the track.

A few years back we travelled directly from Jiggalong to Puntawarri on an old exploration track (called Samson HWY by the locals) and then to Durba Hills with the permission of Jiggalong and the help of a trip log from Rob (HEMA). The latter was a great help as we lost the track in the Robertson Ranges and also at an old airfield between Jiggalong and Puntawarri. This track is rough with very sandy patches, partly overgrown, some washouts and boggy areas.

If you need more info let me know.

Cheers
Andy
AnswerID: 165981

Follow Up By: waymun - Sunday, Apr 09, 2006 at 20:04

Sunday, Apr 09, 2006 at 20:04
Thanks Andy, your information is greatly appreciated. We have emailed Rob for more information and hopefully, he will provide the trip log you mention. Can you please tell us what the Savoury Creek crossing is like down that way? Also, is the track clearly defined at the CSR end? We travelled up the CSR only 2 years ago but don't remember seeing any side tracks heading west from Cannings Cairn. We didn't even know the Puntawarri Track existed until this week and are a little worried that we will even get on the beginning of the CSR this year given all the rain in the West of late. We expect to get there about 3 weeks from now and hopefully, the roads will be opened by then.
Cheers
FollowupID: 420933

Follow Up By: andy - Sunday, Apr 09, 2006 at 21:08

Sunday, Apr 09, 2006 at 21:08
Hi Waymun

the crossing is quite different from that on the CSR - creek bed is sandy and approx. 30 m wide. The exit from the Savory towards Durba Hills is a little steep and there has been some water at the bottom of the climb. Both times we have been there on our own (and therefore have been careful) - we had no problems there or at other spots. The only wories (a few years ago) we had, were getting bogged between Savory and Durba Hills. There are quite a few boggy areas when it has rained. This was especially emphasized by Rob, as they had a few problems there a few years back. There is a nice place to camp at and to explore at the Boundawarri Creek (have a look at the place where the 2 Creeks join) on the Puntawarri side of the Savory Creek.

The turnoff on the CSR towards Puntawarri is amongst bush but should be well visible, if you drive slowly. If I remember well I have written down the GPS Coord. in our diary. I will have access to it when we are back home around middle of next week.

Cheers
FollowupID: 420965

Follow Up By: waymun - Monday, Apr 10, 2006 at 06:30

Monday, Apr 10, 2006 at 06:30
Thanks Andy, we would appreciate the co-ordinates. We look forward to hearing from you.
Cheers
FollowupID: 421013

Follow Up By: andy - Friday, Apr 14, 2006 at 18:24

Friday, Apr 14, 2006 at 18:24
Hi Waymun

the GPS coordinates of the turnoff at the CSR are:
23 deg 48' 12" south and 122 deg 24' 55" east

enjoy your trip
Andy
FollowupID: 422045

Sponsored Links