Gosford to Port Augusta

Submitted: Wednesday, Apr 12, 2006 at 11:51
ThreadID: 32820 Views:2336 Replies:7 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
My family and I will be heading off early June for a 3 month trip around Oz. We are wanting to head to Port Augusta in 2 days. Don't mind the long drive. My question is where is a good place to stay overnight. The trip from Cobar to Port Augusta is probably a bit too long and I don't really want to stay in Wilcannia. We are pulling an off road camper but will probably stay in a motel that night. Any suggestions for a "half way" stop off point for an overnighter would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Brad
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Snowy 3.0iTD - Wednesday, Apr 12, 2006 at 12:45

Wednesday, Apr 12, 2006 at 12:45
Brad

Living in the general area, the most popular seems to be the Big 4 Holiday Park on the Hightway at Port Augusta West. Its fully fenced so security is not a problem and have good facilities. You may want to book ahead though, as there is a big fishing competition in Whyalla over the weekend, accommodation in Whyalla is already full, and is now spilling over in to Port Augusta. The Augusta Hotel on the West Side. is also the best place in town to eat, although it is still basically pub dining. If someone says to you Port Augusta West or the West Side when giving directions they mean the western side of the gulf, over the big bridge.

Regards

Snowy
AnswerID: 166643

Follow Up By: Brad - Wednesday, Apr 12, 2006 at 12:54

Wednesday, Apr 12, 2006 at 12:54
Thanks Snowy. We are actually leaving in beginning of June, but might try and book at the Big $ there. Would you happen to know of any places between Central Coast ( NSW) and Port?

Thanks for your help

Cheers
Brad
FollowupID: 421569

Follow Up By: Snowy 3.0iTD - Wednesday, Apr 12, 2006 at 14:10

Wednesday, Apr 12, 2006 at 14:10
Brad

Sorry about that, I got a bit confused when you said you wanted to head to Port Augusta in 2 days. Furthest East I have been that way is Broken Hill, not sure about exact places in Broken Hill though, can't help you any furether than that. Although having done quite a bit of long distance travelling myself, I have found that you can comfortably do between 1000 to 1200 kms in a day, although I don't have any kids in tow either. Probably not a lot to do in Port Augusta itself but the surrounding areas are great, and the Wadlatta Outback Centre (also the tourist office) is great if you want to spend half a day learning about the history of the Flinders and general surrounds through interactive displays.

Regards

Snowy
FollowupID: 421584

Reply By: signman - Wednesday, Apr 12, 2006 at 12:57

Wednesday, Apr 12, 2006 at 12:57
Isn't it strange that most people don't wish to stay (or even stop) in Wilcannia?? Do you think it's about time the Chamber of Commerce/ Tourist Office had a bit of a reality check??
AnswerID: 166644

Follow Up By: Brad - Wednesday, Apr 12, 2006 at 16:12

Wednesday, Apr 12, 2006 at 16:12
Interesting comment signman,
I looked up Wilcannia on Google and went to NSW Tourist pages. There were only 2 motels listed, both 2 star and neither of them had a picture. Has to have you thinking.
Cheers
Brad
FollowupID: 421623

Reply By: Member - Burto (NSW) - Wednesday, Apr 12, 2006 at 13:33

Wednesday, Apr 12, 2006 at 13:33
Hi, We stayed at Nyngan on the way back from Camerons Corner last year, we stayed in the caravan park on the west side before you over the river, great place to stay. Probably from gosford thats about as far as I would want to go in one day.
There is also the Lake caravan park in Broken Hill near the Old North Mine, and there is a very good park in Peterborough, on the eastern side, forgot the name but Willem would be able to help. Enjoy your trip
AnswerID: 166655

Reply By: Member - Michael B (NSW) - Wednesday, Apr 12, 2006 at 20:06

Wednesday, Apr 12, 2006 at 20:06
Brad, went the same way last year , Saratoga to just outside Cobar was OK with the Trakmaster van, good rest area this side of Cobar. From there to Orroroo was
a good run and a nice van park with cabins,and just as good as most motels.
Mike B
AnswerID: 166759

Reply By: Arkay - Wednesday, Apr 12, 2006 at 20:10

Wednesday, Apr 12, 2006 at 20:10
Have a look at Spear Creek (Station / caravan / camp site). Pretty sure they are on the www under that name by now. Family owned working 16,000 acre station (Mark & Kylie) in nice creek setting with all mod cons, grassed camp sites or new cabins, 4WD track available, reasonable fees, limited groceries, FPA member. Spear Creek is about 15km bitumen approaches SE of Port Augusta (can go to Pt Augutta for fuel & suppies after/before/during stay. Reccomended. Been there 3 times.
I have old pamphlet says Ph. 08-8643-6668, email spearcreek@centralonline.com.au
AnswerID: 166762

Reply By: snailbait (Blue mntns) - Wednesday, Apr 12, 2006 at 20:30

Wednesday, Apr 12, 2006 at 20:30
hi Brad
go on the net and look for the Wilcannia Motel tel them that TERRY and RHONDA from the LROC SYDNEY TOLD you about them IT IS A GREAT MOTEL they are at the west part of the town we have staid there a couple of times and it is a great motel i WONT SAY if you a driving a toy you wont like them as they are LROC Syd members and the motel is a safe as a bank
Paul Wilcannia Motel
E-mail Address(es):
wilcanniamotel@bigpond.com

i hope this helps
SNAILBAIT
Life MEMBER snailbait Oberon HF RADIO CLUB VKE237 mobile 7661

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 166766

Reply By: Dave198 - Friday, Apr 14, 2006 at 00:51

Friday, Apr 14, 2006 at 00:51
G'day Brad, if you plan on staying at Cobar on the first night, it is about 5 hours travel roughly from there to Broken Hill and about another 5 hours from there to Pt Augusta.
You would probably make it to Peterborough without too much trouble on day 2. There is a good park and motel at Peterborough and that's about 3 hours from Broken Hill.
You go through the fruit fly check at Oodlawirra, so dont take ANY fruit otherwise they will take it for desert. There is restrictions on some veggies too, but can't remember which ones. A check on the SA Dept of Agriculture website will tell you.
Remember there could be a few roos around from near dusk. Also generally there are a few roos from Cobar to Wilcannia if you get away pretty early in the morning.
Hope this helps
Dave
AnswerID: 166957

Sponsored Links