OT Blue Peas, great camping tucker

Submitted: Wednesday, Apr 12, 2006 at 22:39
ThreadID: 32849 Views:3215 Replies:3 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Anyone else eat 'em? I love 'em.

Dried peas, find them in the Supermarket with the Split Peas. In SA you'll get offered a "Pie Floater" which is a Pie resting on a serve of blue peas (they're not blue just quietly). In FNQ you'll normally get offered peas with your pie at any decent take away joint.

They need to be soaked overnight and then boiled for about an hour, or simmered out of the packet for about 3 hours.

Wholesome, nutritious and delicious. The highlight for me of visiting Dreamworld was going to the Tavern that served a Home Made Pie, Blue Peas and Mash.

Stick a packet in your kit, bung 'em in a camp oven or pot over the fire, attend to them as necessary (stir and add water if they look too dry), have 'em with tea, or for tea and fart all night.

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: russ36 - Thursday, Apr 13, 2006 at 06:06

Thursday, Apr 13, 2006 at 06:06
will try the ot brand next time..i just get quick cooking dried peas. such a lightweight,long shelf life, cheap source of greens to maintain a good diet when fresh greens are unavailable or already eaten....consider how much fridge space a lump of broccoli uses compared to some packs of dried peas
AnswerID: 166825

Reply By: Pajman Pete (SA) - Thursday, Apr 13, 2006 at 08:06

Thursday, Apr 13, 2006 at 08:06
I had my boss over from Sydney last week and conned him into trying a pie floater. Mind you it was at Cafe De Villies whcih was the upmarket version.
AnswerID: 166839

Reply By: Member - RockyOne - Thursday, Apr 13, 2006 at 09:01

Thursday, Apr 13, 2006 at 09:01
Jimbo! You are cruel beast! Here I sit,typing at snail pace with my two fingers (others are on RDO's) with my fuel tank reminding me it is bordering on empty,then you post the mssg re "pie 'n peas"..You have jus shot my morning for me (0800 Qld)..Amazing how we never see the really good things in life promoted on TV..But thanks for your information and I guess you went to the Yatala Pie Shop..The old shop more or less put Yatala on the map,maybe Bernie "Power's) brewery after that..Come to think of it,one of his products could go ok with the Pie' n Peas..I like your little "Wholesome,Nutritious and Delicious" I'm sold (I never realised they had the same effect as the old Nutritious,Wholesome but not all that Delicious,baked beans) We get our education in many ways.....Have fun RockyOne!MPG:6!
AnswerID: 166852

Sponsored Links