Pajero 3.2

Submitted: Thursday, Apr 13, 2006 at 04:09
ThreadID: 32852 Views:1712 Replies:3 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
My 2000 3.2 DiD, manual, SWB Pajero is approaching the end of its life. Though I experienced serious mechanical problems with it, I still consider it the most well balanced 4WD proposition. Would you be so kind as to give your opinions concerning:

The general mechanical reliability of the post 2003 models;
The probability of significant model changes in the near future ( Do I buy now or do I wait?)

Also, are all Pajeros assembled in Japan?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Oldplodder (QLD) - Thursday, Apr 13, 2006 at 07:49

Thursday, Apr 13, 2006 at 07:49
Interesting that you find your pajero ending it's life. How many kilometers and what sort of life has it lead, if you don't mind me asking?
I am just finding with my older model (1996) it is about mid stride at 260,000k and have been giving it a little rejuvination this year with new shocks, a little body work for some chips (no rust yet) etc. Looking at another 4 years from now, and thinking of a 3.2DID motor transplant once it has 350,000/400,000k up. By your comments, it may not be worth the trouble. Ran my last pajero for 10 years and wondered why I traded it in.

New model in the same series is most probably due out soon, usually around 3rd quarter of the year. Model upgrades inside each series seems to be about every 3 years. 1984 to1990, 1990 to 2000, 2000 to now roughly being major models, so a major change may be a little bit away yet.
AnswerID: 166835

Follow Up By: Member-Neil & Margie-Cairns - Thursday, Apr 13, 2006 at 17:44

Thursday, Apr 13, 2006 at 17:44
G"day all ,
i'm with oldplodder , we have a 95 2.8 diesel , comming up to 280000 , won't be parting with it for a long while , 3.2 transplant if this one ever gives up , but then again this ones been a good motor , so i might just rebuild when the time comes ,, the thought that you say yours is at the end of its life in such a short time makes me wonder about the newer models ,, don't much like the idea of no full chassis anyway !!

Only problem we have had with ours is the fuel pump , i used to run an additive always ,, had to have it rebuilt , talk about blow soot ,, council offered me a job on the mosquito eradication campane ,, wouldn't pull the skin off a rice custard ,, but now after rebuilding the pump ,, HAPPY AS ,, the fella at NERCO here in Cairns asked if i put additives in and how often ,, i said always ,, he says "don't" , unless you have a good reason too put it in such as water in the fuel or the algee bug , don't use it ,, we also have a tipper with a 12 1/2 litre motor in it ,, don't feel like rebuilding that pimp as well , but anyway , that is the only problem we have had with it ..

Anyway ,, gotta go and get on one of them flying things ,, Melbourne tonight ,, dred the thought ,, HAPPY EASTER ALL ,, keep safe ..

Neil & Margie !!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 421905

Reply By: Scubaroo - Thursday, Apr 13, 2006 at 10:07

Thursday, Apr 13, 2006 at 10:07
Are you in Oz with an import? Haven't seen the 3.2L DiD in SWB here.
AnswerID: 166861

Reply By: Rosco - Thursday, Apr 13, 2006 at 15:05

Thursday, Apr 13, 2006 at 15:05
I have just clocked 100k after 3 years, engine and auto transmission hasn't missed a beat. After having a Landie and driving the my folkes Nissan for 5 years I was a manual bigot and vouched never to buy an 4x auto. My leasing guy managed to borrow the NSW press vehicle for me for a weekend to see whether I liked the car and bet that I would buy an auto. Thankfully I didn't bet any money as it sold me, especially the manual mode on high speed dirt driving, as well as slogging it out in 2nd and 3rd on the M5 to work. Now wouldn't go back to a manual. Its so well matched to the 3.2D, power on tap. Vehicle has done the normal back of Broken Hill, Fraser and Stockton Beach trips, plus been flogged by 2 teenage boys learning to drive (shudder) and now on P's. Only problem has been axle seals, the first time no parts in Australia and a 10 day wait, second time a few weeks later, dealer/repairer told me to keep driving (crazy) as they were very busy and then had to replace the diff as well, never stopped me, just started singing !!! All done under warranty. Been fine since and T for Tough. I collect a new one next week.
AnswerID: 166896

Sponsored Links