Anne Beadell Hwy Permits

Submitted: Friday, Apr 14, 2006 at 04:50
ThreadID: 32878 Views:1886 Replies:5 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
I seem to be awake at this hour just before picanniny daylight for no particular reason at all. Maybe the brain is overactive...LOL

Whilst applying for permits and researching our trek out along the Anne Beadell Hwy I accessed the ExporOz permit info.

I was also surfing the Dept of Indigenous Afairs WA website and saw that a further permit was required from Neale Junction to Yamana which is not mentioned in EO Treknotes. Not sure if this is a new addition. Anyhow I applied for us and our travelling companions via online and received the permit approval within a couple of hours.

You will also need permits from.

Tallaringa Conservation Park Transit Approval and Camping Permit (covered by Desert Parks Pass or a $6.50 per night/vehicle pass is available direct from SA Department of Environment and Heritage) Click here to purchase the Desert Parks Pass online or contact SADEH on 1800 816 078

Woomera Prohibited Area Transit Approval (no fee) Ph (08) 8674 3370

Maralinga Lands Transit Approval (no fee) Ph (08) 8625 2946

Unnamed Conservation Park Transit Approval (no fee) but camping fee of $4 per vehicle per day if camping. Ph (08) 8625 3144

So 5 permits in all. Bureaucracy gone mad!!!!!!

Cheers
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: roofscooter2 - Friday, Apr 14, 2006 at 05:38

Friday, Apr 14, 2006 at 05:38
Williem would nearly turn you off going eh.
AnswerID: 166970

Follow Up By: Willem - Friday, Apr 14, 2006 at 05:53

Friday, Apr 14, 2006 at 05:53
Yes, and it is becoming worse.

7 weeks ago I applied to another 'Authority' for an access permit which is to date still not forthcoming. Last check 10 days ago was that they had lost the paperwork. I will be going anyway.

One tries to do the right thing but it becomes annoying when our lives are ruled by over zealous bureaucrats and red tape
FollowupID: 421972

Follow Up By: JJ - Friday, Apr 14, 2006 at 06:21

Friday, Apr 14, 2006 at 06:21
Weeell, if you get 'caught' by that particular 'Authority', maybe you have 'lost the paperwork' too. Wonder if it works both ways?!
FollowupID: 421974

Follow Up By: Willem - Friday, Apr 14, 2006 at 06:32

Friday, Apr 14, 2006 at 06:32
Probably not JJ. There is no level playing field.
FollowupID: 421976

Follow Up By: Member - Davoe (Widgiemooltha) - Friday, Apr 14, 2006 at 06:40

Friday, Apr 14, 2006 at 06:40
Morning, Im on Night shift - whats your excuse?
Hmmm I am supposed to be meeting my Sister (who you met) at Neal Junction in a couple of months as they do the AB spose that means i should be thinking about a permit
FollowupID: 421977

Follow Up By: Member - Leigh (Vic) - Friday, Apr 14, 2006 at 07:42

Friday, Apr 14, 2006 at 07:42
Hi Willem
Did this trip last Sept from CP to NJ and then out at Cocklebiddy as I'd previously done the NJ to Laverton leg. Yes its permits, permits and more permits but I suspect it is not so much about the travel itself but more about getting their message across. Most of it was arranged quite quickly with little fuss!! Having said that we saw hardly anyone and the community outpost was run by a white family with 1st class facilities. $1.80 from memory for either fuel type. The corrugations around there I suspect refelcted the heavier trucks carrying fuel.. the 5 footers with a 8" lift?? Lots of firewood around the sandy areas. The richness of the sand country was very special and just the type of landscape to pull out a chair and sit for hours contemplating...just terrific. Get through the BS now cos you will enjoy the country. They have even put fire places and a camp table at NJ. Last time through it said no camping...go figure that one. Cheers
FollowupID: 421984

Reply By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Friday, Apr 14, 2006 at 08:16

Friday, Apr 14, 2006 at 08:16
Hi Willem,

The ridiculous thing is that two of your permits come from different offices of the SA Dept of Environment and Heritage. So in the past I've had to contact the Ceduna office and the Port Augusta Office separately. Can't imagine why they bother collecting a piddly $6.50 fee.

Cheers
phil
AnswerID: 166981

Reply By: Footloose - Friday, Apr 14, 2006 at 09:03

Friday, Apr 14, 2006 at 09:03
Willem, I don't get up at picinniny before a trip, but I continue to do so after a trip. Strange.
One of the problems appears to be working out if you need a permit for a spacific area and who to apply to. Things change. You'd think that the various stakeholders could get their acts together and issue them on a state or regional basis. Communities that wanted to close an area could still do so, but hmm..I forsee problems with it.
Maybe it's all such a patchwork quilt that the present system is the best.
Whether that's true or not, I still think that stakeholders aren't making the most of 4wd tourism. In some places the old attitudes towards travellers appear to be very much in evidence.
Sadly the impression that I get is that the freedom to travel and appreciate this country, a freedom that we have always taken for granted, a freedom etched into Australian folklore, has gone the same way as industrial relations. Down the tube.
I note that if you're a member of Federal Parliament, you don't need a permit. Interesting isn't it ?

AnswerID: 166987

Reply By: Old Scalyback & denny - Friday, Apr 14, 2006 at 10:16

Friday, Apr 14, 2006 at 10:16
gooday willem
dont know about dawn we have only just got to bed at that time dennies gone off to work with only 3 hrs sleep went to the rollingstones concert in melb last night then played abit before coming home at least i got to sleep in till no2 daughter rang and said WELL she paid for the tickets
but what a great night!!!!!!!!!

steve
AnswerID: 166991

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Friday, Apr 14, 2006 at 11:46

Friday, Apr 14, 2006 at 11:46
Willem,

I thought you were the bloke who would have thought, "bugger the permits".

I don't mind purchasing the "normal" ones such as Desert Parks, etc., where the income generated is used to improve facilities, but this current bullchit of having to need one for every local "community" you come near is just getting out of hand.

When it comes down to the basics, What are they going to do if you don't have the correct "pass". Stop you somehow?...Fine you?...lock you up?...spear you in the leg?

Ah! That feels better now. Think I'll go and have a sniff of oxygen.

Cheers,
Bill.

Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 167000

Follow Up By: Willem - Friday, Apr 14, 2006 at 19:16

Friday, Apr 14, 2006 at 19:16
Bill

Yes I am inclined to say Bugger the permits but this time felt as bit more conciliatory and decided to get some. Have them all now except the one for the first trip of the year. But like I have said, I am going anyway. Most likely will not see anyone where I will be going except for my fellow travellers.

Cheers
FollowupID: 422055

Sponsored Links