Drysdale River National Park

Submitted: Monday, Apr 17, 2006 at 12:41
ThreadID: 32949 Views:1604 Replies:2 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Just wondering if the Drysdale River National Park is worth a visit while we're in the area this season, about July. There seems to be one official campground, the Bulldust Yards campground? Apparently camping near the river is not advised, likewise I understand you have to be careful even being near the river, for crocs! Is it otherwise safe to go for a stroll along the river? Is there a bit of a walking track? We don't have a boat to explore with.

Apart from looking at the escarpment at a bit of a distance, I guess my main question is, is the drive in to the park worth a couple of days' stay?

Do many people bother to venture in there after being to Mitchell Plateau and probably Kalumburu?
Grateful for any thoughts
June
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Beastie - Monday, Apr 17, 2006 at 19:25

Monday, Apr 17, 2006 at 19:25
Camped 5 days in Drysdale Park some years ago June. Loved it, the only sign of recent visit was a burnt sign saying Drysdale Park. If you go through Carson head south for a while and you camp near a bend west of Salewa(from memory) falls. River then was low enough for a crossing and hike
Great Bradshaw art if you are prepared to walk, we were equipped for overnight hiking. Lived on Sooty Grunter and camping was not a problem as we were some distance from the river. Saw the odd aircraft go over, but don't look for a walking track or foot print.
Oh, and look after it and don't tell anyone else it is there. It is probably for the serious hiker, walker.
AnswerID: 167408

Follow Up By: Mama June - Monday, Apr 17, 2006 at 20:31

Monday, Apr 17, 2006 at 20:31
Beastie, thanks for your reply. Don't worry, I won't tell anyone it is there, your secret is safe with me. You were very generous in sharing it, something I don't normally do.
FollowupID: 422572

Reply By: PhilD - Monday, Apr 17, 2006 at 21:23

Monday, Apr 17, 2006 at 21:23
You need to do through Carson River Station (Aboriginal owned) to get to Drysdale River National Park.
Last year the Aboriginal Corporation in Kalumburu would not give you a permit. Maving said that, the track that turns off after the homestead is not maintained and is close to impassable. At best it is extremely slow going as you had to clear the track yourself. I don't know what is at the end nowdays!
The track to Drysdale River Crossing was fine but you need the unobtainable permit.
AnswerID: 167465

Follow Up By: Mama June - Monday, Apr 17, 2006 at 22:01

Monday, Apr 17, 2006 at 22:01
Thanks PhilD. I'll dream on about getting there one day. It sounds like it's worth it.
June
FollowupID: 422634

Sponsored Links