Discover Australia CD for Gps

Submitted: Wednesday, Apr 19, 2006 at 14:08
ThreadID: 33037 Views:3528 Replies:5 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
how accurate are the maps of Australia.....would you recommend it or another one....need something detailed that gives fire trails etc.....do these go on any GPS???

Laura B
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Bruce and Anne - Wednesday, Apr 19, 2006 at 14:26

Wednesday, Apr 19, 2006 at 14:26
I have Discover Aus streets & tracks and I find it very good, state forest tracks,main roads and even towns are all there. I also have Raster, good color, stallite mosaic, but it does not zoom as good a DCA and does not have city streets.
DCA is a little hard to use in uploading and down loading, I use sd cards and now I can put regions and waypoints/routes on to the card, but now have to work out how to go from the card back to the computer. I use DCA on my Magellan Meridian Gold it is easy to use.
Hope this is of some help.
Cheers Bruce
AnswerID: 167800

Follow Up By: snailbait (Blue mntns) - Wednesday, Apr 19, 2006 at 17:11

Wednesday, Apr 19, 2006 at 17:11
hi Bruce and Anne
I to use Discover Aus streets & tracks with a Magellan Meridian Gold which i have since 2002 i find it has terrific fetures but it is a little hard to read when the vehicl is bumping around what with the black and white screen( grey)
i am thinking to up date and attache the gps with a lap top in the vehicle which i can use the DAS CD
SNAILBAIT
Life MEMBER snailbait Oberon HF RADIO CLUB VKE237 mobile 7661

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 423061

Reply By: Member - Bruce and Anne - Wednesday, Apr 19, 2006 at 17:45

Wednesday, Apr 19, 2006 at 17:45
Were looking around for a lap top as well, well be good to be able to see in advance. Will also put my Raster on it to see the diffeence.
Cheers Bruce
AnswerID: 167848

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Wednesday, Apr 19, 2006 at 17:54

Wednesday, Apr 19, 2006 at 17:54
Laura,

Both DiscoverAus Streets & Tracks and Australia's Great Desert Tracks are only downloadable to a Magellan GPS.

It's handy if using the GPS as a stand-alone unit.

I have both, but much prefer OziExplorer with its moving map feature. The only problem of course is you need a Laptop or PDA to run OziExplorer on.
Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 167856

Reply By: cokeaddict - Wednesday, Apr 19, 2006 at 19:27

Wednesday, Apr 19, 2006 at 19:27
I too run discover aus on my megallan platinum, I am happy with what i can do with it when im lost....lol

works fantastically well getting me back ontrack....yeh i know..i should be using it before i get lost, but i like to wonder off thinking i know where the hell im going....its all fun.
AnswerID: 167876

Reply By: pprass - Thursday, Apr 20, 2006 at 12:33

Thursday, Apr 20, 2006 at 12:33
Laura,

V1.0 Discover Aus is amazingly detailed and quite accurate for a program that uses data that is probably 5 or 6 years old. When we first used it on our Magellan Platinum we were totally surprised that we could locate small faint tracks that were nothing more than a couple of wheel marks. We have been led up farmers' driveways on many occasions thinking that it is a short-cut, when in fact it is just an access to their property - that just shows you how much detail there is! However place names/location are screwed and there is some complaint as to the accuracy of detail in Qld, but we have travelled in Vic, NSW and SA using the moving map function without too many dramas. As mentioned above Discover Aus can only be used with relevant Magellan GPSr's.

The only gripe we have with the program is that it does not have details of mountain tops and more important no mention of gates across tracks!!! What we now do when we are deep in the bush, is have OziExplorer with 1:25000 NRE maps which we can toggle between on our laptop using a Lilyput Touch screen which is attached to the dash.

We like Discover Aus over OziExplorer for two main reasons -
1. With Disc Aus, you can zoom in and out of the whole area you are in, or the whole of Australia if you want, which is very useful when trying to work out what track to take now and where it will lead to. With Ozi, unless you have a stitched map of the whole area you have to scroll between maps which to us is difficult to work.

2. By resting the curser over the road/track or feature on the DAST map, you are told the name of that road/track or feature. I don't think that Ozi can do that (at least I haven't seen it), so you are just reliant on the map detail that is actually printed on the map - and we regularly find that not all tracks on the NRE maps that we have are named.

Hope this helps with your query
Peter
AnswerID: 168043

Sponsored Links