fISHING

Submitted: Thursday, Apr 20, 2006 at 20:29
ThreadID: 33101 Views:1821 Replies:6 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hi travelers
Im planing a trip to eighty mile beach in WA next year with what shes says is better half. Was wanting to know best time for fishing.
Have been there before but only for 2 days and loved it
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: ellen m - Thursday, Apr 20, 2006 at 21:05

Thursday, Apr 20, 2006 at 21:05
Hi Spike,

Where are ya coming from?

We havent spend any time fishing 80 mile, but have fished lots north and south of there. Love to pass on some info, so please let me know which way you are travelling.

Ellen
AnswerID: 168158

Follow Up By: SPIKE - Saturday, Apr 22, 2006 at 17:52

Saturday, Apr 22, 2006 at 17:52
Hi Ellen
We are leaving from Melbourne traveling to Francois Peron N/P for about ten days.Then onto eight mile two weeks so any info about fishing these areas would be appreciated.
FollowupID: 423810

Follow Up By: ellen m - Saturday, Apr 22, 2006 at 20:36

Saturday, Apr 22, 2006 at 20:36
HI Spike,

I will assume that you are travelling with a boat. Here are some of our fav spots.

We caught quite a few squid of the jetties at Denham at night under the lights. Watch out for tourists. Once they spotted us catch one, they came from everywhere and there wasn't room to flick the squid jig. We then moved from the public jetty to the one with the fishing boats tied to it. Tourist couldn't see us from there. I did aim some good squid ink shots at those in my way LOL

Further north you will come to a place called Cossack. It is about 17 km from
Roebourne. This is worth a stay. There is no camping there, but the backpackers is cheap. It is a heritage town with about 7 old buildings built in the late 1890's.Built on the banks of the Harding River. Fantastic crabing and fishing.
Crabs. - At very low tides you can walk along the banks and pick them up. Have to go at day break before the sun is on them. Run pots on any of the drains and you should get a crab most days. On the really high tides you may see them swimming on the sand flats on the north of the river mouth. Watch our for the big rock on the northern side of the channel about in line with the old graveyard.
Barra. - You will need live mullet. (Bloody hard to find) We always caught them on VERY low tides. When you head up the river from the boat ramp there is a island in the middle. Take the channel to the right.About 2/3 of the way up anchor on the edge of the channel and float the live mullet about 1/2 off the bottom in the very fast current. We generally used two anchors to sit sideways so we could both fish. They are very clever fish, but once you get the hang of their very soft bits you'll be set.
Bream. We never went out in the boat and didnt catch a feed of bream if thats what we were fishing for. Look for any deep hole and use prawns for bait. There is a hole at the end of the island.
Reef fish. at the mouth of the river is Jarman Island. There is a little bit or reef on the sea side. If the weather is flat it is no problem to get to in a little boat. Ours was 11 ft and i was pregnant and we could get there. caught Blue bone and a few other good eating reef fish there.

Besides the fishing it is a lovely place to visit, lots to see and do. But the sandflies are in plague numbers so take lots of spray.

Gunna go watch the Bill now. I'll tell ya 'bout some more at a later time

Ellen
FollowupID: 423837

Reply By: Russel & Mary - Thursday, Apr 20, 2006 at 21:19

Thursday, Apr 20, 2006 at 21:19
Hi Spike, I've had little success fishing off York Peninsula in SA and the locals say "gee mate, you should have been here yesterday". So now when I go there, I go a day earlier. Rus.
AnswerID: 168165

Follow Up By: Sand Man (SA) - Thursday, Apr 20, 2006 at 22:05

Thursday, Apr 20, 2006 at 22:05
ROFLMAO,

That's funny Rus and oh so relevant.
Kind of like the fishing reports in the Sunday Mail. Always heaps of fish caught the weekend before you went to the same place and more the weekend after you have been:-(
Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 423476

Reply By: Muzzgit (WA) - Thursday, Apr 20, 2006 at 23:27

Thursday, Apr 20, 2006 at 23:27
Beach fishing? Good for a few species, mostly threadfin salmon. No not anything like the salmon found in colder waters of southern Australia. This one is very edible. Also some small sharks and lots of nasty catfish with those spikes all over the head.

The only dissapointing part of our visit there in September 2003 was the amount of these cat fish just left to shrivel up in the beach sand for some unsuspecting person to tread on. Not a pretty thought.

Ocean fishing? I Dunno, but I bet it would be better than anything near Perth.
AnswerID: 168214

Reply By: hazo - Friday, Apr 21, 2006 at 16:49

Friday, Apr 21, 2006 at 16:49
Spike, Go up there every year and was there last september for three weeks. Fishing excellent if you know what you are doing! Only fish on incoming tide with mulies for bait, a whole one on ganged hooks is best, but not bait economical!take plenty with you as it can be expensive at the c/p, you only get one hit at the bite then its stick another one on. Most people use mulie cubes but you get lots of small stuff that way and heaps of catfish!. As stated mostly threadfin salmon (good eating) small sharks and mulloway were coming in every day we were there! Oh and the dreaded catfish but mainly on the smaller baits.
The wind can affect it too as you can get quite a bad s/w to n/w drift and its very hard to hold the bottom! The fish are still there but it becomes hard work! Take a variety of star sinkers and use just enough to hold the bottom. Hope this helps?
I'll be there again this year for a month or so.
Brian
AnswerID: 168338

Reply By: SPIKE - Saturday, Apr 22, 2006 at 16:53

Saturday, Apr 22, 2006 at 16:53
Hi Ellen
We are leaving from Melbourne traveling to Francois P eron N/P for ten days then onto eighty mile for eight/ten days.So any info about fishing these areawould be great.

AnswerID: 168469

Reply By: SPIKE - Saturday, Apr 22, 2006 at 17:02

Saturday, Apr 22, 2006 at 17:02
Thanks Hazo fished there for two days caught small mulloway but did see some good size fish caught. I know its no good for boat need cut lunch and water bag to find water at low tide.
AnswerID: 168470

Sponsored Links