Submitted: Saturday, Apr 22, 2006 at 11:17
ThreadID: 33142 Views:3951 Replies:8 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Some feed back on 3.0 Jackaroo diesel good and bad thanks

Need a round town wagon and bush tourer

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Charlie M (SA) - Saturday, Apr 22, 2006 at 12:29

Saturday, Apr 22, 2006 at 12:29
After having one and with there engine related problums would not tough one. Two dealers would not even return phone enquiry when ours was quit on a prado.
Using oil at 38500kms from new. Oil and the 2 filters were changed seviced intervals.
Cheers
Charlie
AnswerID: 168452

Reply By: Member - Tony W (VIC) - Saturday, Apr 22, 2006 at 14:52

Saturday, Apr 22, 2006 at 14:52
had one for 6 months now ,111000k s no problems yet, plenty of grunt , had it off road a few times does everything the other 4by s do . get about 600k s per tank towing c/t & boat highway driving. 540 _560 around home empty,had a triton dual cab 01 previous sh*ts all over the mitsubishi in every aspect. only my opinion of course, very happy with purchase , heading off in june to do a lap around this great country and are confident it will do the job .

regards tony

AnswerID: 168461

Reply By: Mr Fawlty - Saturday, Apr 22, 2006 at 15:03

Saturday, Apr 22, 2006 at 15:03
I have a post upgrade 2002 model & I am quite pleased with it. They do need top shelf oil as the injectors are driven buy the engine oil and it needs to be no more than 10w or in the cold they will not start. I also have a manual on disc that I was able to download before the site was shut down. Gave good performance last year on my trip of 30,000 km around the country. I get about 10km/litre, towing a 2200kg van about 7km/litre... I do not have a fitchy thing attached.
Parts for service are not available non genuine (from my investigations) and an Oil filter will set you back around $30, the secondary filter is not reccomended to be changed but I did change mine at 100,000km but there was no noticeable improvement. The Oil change interval is reccomended at 10,000km, although I use Castrol Softec 5w-30 and the Castrol people recon you could safely get 15,000 useing it. There are several grease points in the drive train to grease, these have to be checked if you get a dealer to do the service as they tend to forget to do them.
Has plenty of grunt, easy to get into 4x4mode, I don't think it has as much ground clearance as some of the larger 4x4's but it is way cheaper to run. I have driven mine offroad up in the Cape, Gulf country and Central Australia and though I may tend to "wimp out" in some situations I've never been stuck.
Some good bargains around now too
AnswerID: 168463

Reply By: Jack 2000 - Saturday, Apr 22, 2006 at 16:08

Saturday, Apr 22, 2006 at 16:08
I have the 2000 3.0Ltr TD, it has 165K on the clock and runs great I have done heaps of dune work in and kept up with a brand new pajero with out a drama.

A little more power would be nice but it does the job. I use it in the city and country and i have been on some rough tracks with no problem and been through water on several occasions. I get about 100km to 11ltrs and that does not change much between city or country, sometimes less as i am a bit of a lead foot.
In Perth you see a fair few of them around, mine came from Broome with service history and it has not had anything go wrong with it (touch wood).
I would recomend one as value for money is great, for an all rounder. I have large wheels with 17inch alloy rims, a 120ltr fuel tank, TJM T1 bull bar, my shockies are on the way out so they will get replaced soon and while doing so I will raise the back a little, more so due to the larger fuel tank but clearance has not been a problem so far. trips to Wedge Is, and the Powerlines track have not been a problem, i go places others will not try.
Like any TD keep up regular oil changes etc and you should be fine... You will good and bad stories about any 4x4, i could tell you many about Patrols and Cruisers etc.

Good luck
AnswerID: 168465

Reply By: Rigor - Saturday, Apr 22, 2006 at 20:21

Saturday, Apr 22, 2006 at 20:21
Hi Smally , I have had a 98 TD Jack from new , now has about 110,000.
Had the injector sleeve recall done and at the same time they replaced the TPS throtte position sensor no cost . No other problems to speak of but fair to say that the motor can be problematic , some owners have had a horror run. My opinion is that the dealers knew bugger all about them in the early days and caused more problems than they fixed. Learn to service it yourself and understand the motor and you are half way there, you can buy all the filters the 4JX1 motor needs from Sydney filters for about one third genuine prices . Earlier statement about correct oil is spot on , I can get away with Castrol RX in Brisbane (15-40) but anywhere south or cooler you will definately need 5W-30 or 10W-30 in at least CG to CI spec
this is not negotiable trust me. I have always enjoyed the Jack , a great all rounder generally underated by the cruiser / patrol fraternity , if you are like most 4 wheel drivers 95% will be on the black top any way and the big boys will better off road but not by that much.
Cheers Dave L.
AnswerID: 168495

Reply By: Member - Gecko (WA) - Saturday, Apr 22, 2006 at 20:25

Saturday, Apr 22, 2006 at 20:25
Hi There, I am on my 3rd Jack now and the last 2 were 3.0 td no faults in either of them and I push my 4b pretty hard sometimes...
Along with the members of the club who have jacks we have never had any "real" problems one member has one that done over 300K with out a spanner put to it!
Hope this helps
AnswerID: 168497

Reply By: Craigjackaroo - Monday, Apr 24, 2006 at 23:00

Monday, Apr 24, 2006 at 23:00
Currently have a 2000 3.0 TD. 120,000k's

I am absolutely disgusted with it.
Nothing but trouble with big $$$$ repair bills if out of warranty.
See Site Link
for a list of issues people experience. A lot of people end up on this site when things start turning sour, myself included.
AnswerID: 168806

Reply By: andrewtasker - Monday, Apr 24, 2006 at 23:17

Monday, Apr 24, 2006 at 23:17
we bought a 99 td jackaroo it had done about 80 000km with full service history - coming back from up north the motor blew up at shark bay and we had to be towed back to perth and began a 3 mth battle with holden to get it rebuilt - it was the injector sleeve fault - this was after the first re-call - holden wouldnt replace the injectors dispite the dealer saying they were no good so it was a tow back to the dealer 3 mths later to have two of them repalced - the other two are a bit under a cloud and im wondering if they are about to go as well - apart fom that its a great vechicle and most unde rated - we tow a off road trailer and get similar fuel usage as oterhs have reported here - we are about to get the worn out suspension repaled with strong arm stuff (i think) and will get 75 LT ATR coopers fitted - this sud make up for the low slung transfer case which i reackon is the vechilces only draw back - look for full serivce and if the injector sleeve issue has been addressed
AnswerID: 168808

Sponsored Links