Deepwater or Eurimula NP

Submitted: Monday, Apr 24, 2006 at 18:57
ThreadID: 33195 Views:4853 Replies:3 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
If you had the choice, which would it be this time of year?
We have 4 days off.
Gear : a 4WD (Patrol); off road camper, plus Zodiac inflatable with 5hp o/board. We are self sufficient - own shower/toilet/water.

Any recommendations for that part of the world?
All input appreciated...........thanks.....Keith
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: OLLY - Monday, Apr 24, 2006 at 20:46

Monday, Apr 24, 2006 at 20:46
Keith,

It depends on what you like, to get to Deepwater Creek you have to drive on the beach, you access the beach at Rules beach and drive north (sorry I can't remember how far) but the tides have been fairly big this week so you'd have to pick a falling tide to get there but once there you should be ok if you're fully self sufficent. Eurimbula on the other hand has pit toilet facilities and a camping area behind the dunes off the beach but I think fees apply. Both are great spots for a few days away fishing but be aware you can't put the crab pots in Eurimbula.

Cheers

Olly

AnswerID: 168770

Follow Up By: Keith_A (Qld) - Monday, Apr 24, 2006 at 21:17

Monday, Apr 24, 2006 at 21:17
Thanks Olly - can't beat local knowledge.
Our main preference is a quiet, peaceful campsite, with shade if possible.
Close to or on the beach is also prefered.
Fishing is not a priority, but would like to try out the zodiac.
So - a couple of questions :
1. Is Bustard Beach the campground for Euribmula ?
2. Is Wreck Rock the main camp ground for Deepwater?
3. Is the distance from the beach much the same for both camping areas?
4. Would the zodiac be better suited in Eurimbula (in the creek)?

and lastly .....
5. Are the warnings about sandflies for real, for Eurimbula (this time of year)?
( or should we consider camping at Middle Creek ?)
Appreciate your help.................Keith.

nb - where do you camp and why?
FollowupID: 424153

Reply By: Dazz78 - Tuesday, Apr 25, 2006 at 18:30

Tuesday, Apr 25, 2006 at 18:30
G,day Keith

I have not been to either campsite for a couple of years but I don't live far away from them and will attempt to answer your questions.

1. The campsite for Eurimbula is at the mouth of Eurimbula Creek. If you are lucky enough to get the closest site to the water it would be no more than 100 metres away. The Surf beach is a similar distance.

2. Wreck rock is the main campsite for Deepwater National Park. There are others but they have no ammenities. Composting toilets and cold shower are at the Wreck Rock campground. The site Olly mentioned is not in the National Park.

3. The distance to the beach is further at Wreck Rock. But is only a couple of minutes walk.

4. Your Zodiac would be better suited to Eurimbula and launching would be quite easy. From memory there is a tributary off the main creek behind the campground that can be used to launch boats. Wreck rock has only surf frontage and it is some distance to the nearest launch site on Deepwater or Baffle Creek.

5. Sandflies can be an issue at Eurimbula if there is no wind. They are less of a problem at Wreck Rock. I would suspect they would be worse at Middle Creek.

To sum up I would camp at Eurimbula. You have the Creek to fish, there are walking tracks off the main track on the way in, there are ammenities, there is also a surf beach and it is not far to 1770 and you can drive to Deepwater National Park for a day trip if you want to.

Hope this helps

Regards
Darren
AnswerID: 168939

Follow Up By: Keith_A (Qld) - Tuesday, Apr 25, 2006 at 19:40

Tuesday, Apr 25, 2006 at 19:40
Thanks Darren - greatly appreciated.................Keith
FollowupID: 424311

Reply By: andoland - Wednesday, Apr 26, 2006 at 09:15

Wednesday, Apr 26, 2006 at 09:15
Keith,

We camp at Deepwater regularly and would recommend Middle Rock campground as the best of the three there. It has no facilities and only 4 or 5 sites but the times we have been there (including school holidays and long weekends) there has never been more than one other group camped there. Plently of shade and campsites are far enough apart to be private. The downsides for you are that it is a few minutes walk to the beach and you won't be able to launch your boat from there.

Wreck Rock campground is also good, but the sites are much closer together.

I have camped at Middle Creek and the sandflies were so bad we have vowed never to go back. There is also only one decent campsite so if you're not the first one there you are not going to get a good spot.

I been to Eurimbula but not camped there. It looks pretty nice though.

Ando
AnswerID: 169021

Follow Up By: Keith_A (Qld) - Wednesday, Apr 26, 2006 at 17:55

Wednesday, Apr 26, 2006 at 17:55
Thanks for the input Ando - appreciated.
FollowupID: 424471

Sponsored Links