Lake Eyre Conditions

Submitted: Tuesday, Apr 25, 2006 at 16:31
ThreadID: 33232 Views:1739 Replies:2 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All,
Can anyone tell me if there is currently any water in Lake Eyre?
Thanks,
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Tuesday, Apr 25, 2006 at 19:23

Tuesday, Apr 25, 2006 at 19:23
I'd expect to to be bone dry despite the recent rain. The water is only ever visible from Halligan's Bay and Muloorina Station when its mostly full, and it only fills up when theres significant flow from the rivers draining into it. And thats every 10-15years. It last had a fair whack of water in it in 2000.
AnswerID: 168950

Follow Up By: Ruth from Birdsville Caravan Park - Tuesday, Apr 25, 2006 at 21:17

Tuesday, Apr 25, 2006 at 21:17
Spot on, Phil, as usual. The flood in the Cooper won't be of any assistance whatsoever either.
FollowupID: 424339

Follow Up By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Tuesday, Apr 25, 2006 at 22:21

Tuesday, Apr 25, 2006 at 22:21
Hi Ruth,
While I've got you here...
We met up in 2004 after doing the Madigan Line with a group with David and Joan Owen.
We are suckers for punishment, so organised our own group to do the Madigan Line again in June this year, so looks like we'll be passing thru Birdsville again. I'll be bringing my wife this time - I told her about the Latte and Cappuccinos in Birdsville and now she can't wait :-))) I recon she'll need it after the Madigan Line :-((

All the best
Phil
FollowupID: 424350

Follow Up By: Ruth from Birdsville Caravan Park - Wednesday, Apr 26, 2006 at 18:32

Wednesday, Apr 26, 2006 at 18:32
Yes, Phil, I remember and always glad when you hop and and give people the benefit of your knowledge. Either you told me or someone else but I knew you were planning a trip this year - should be extremely challenging and as far as I know, no-one has done it yet or is intending to do it. I'll keep the cappuccinos warm for you! I think also it will be very cold this winter - in the very dry desert.
FollowupID: 424482

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Wednesday, Apr 26, 2006 at 08:36

Wednesday, Apr 26, 2006 at 08:36
I will be up there in three weeks time, but you probably can't wait that long for a reply:-)

Was originally planning a stop over at Halligan's Bay where camping is allowed, but because it's in a National Park, there's no fires allowed and it will be cold up there.
Thought our choice was better than stopping over at Oodnadatta.

Have now decided on Algebuckina Waterhole just south of Oodnadatta, where we will base ourselves for a couple of days and travel out to Halligan's Bay as a side trip. We can have a camp fire at Algebuckina, which is "mandatory" when bush camping.

Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 169016

Follow Up By: phantom - Wednesday, Apr 26, 2006 at 10:22

Wednesday, Apr 26, 2006 at 10:22
Hi Sandman,
I am actually enquiring for my Brother-in-Law who is comtemplating driving over from Perth in May, but only if there is water in the Lake and I know he was hoping to do a flight around the area.
So your accurate info in a few weeks would be invaluable in his decision.
Thanks,
FollowupID: 424390

Follow Up By: Sand Man (SA) - Wednesday, Apr 26, 2006 at 11:51

Wednesday, Apr 26, 2006 at 11:51
Phantom,

We are leaving for Coober Pedy & Painted Desert on 13th May and plan to visit Halligan Bay (Lake Eyre NP) about 17th May.
Back through William Creek & Roxby Downs and Home on 21st, so I can let you know on our return if you can give me an email address.
If not, I can post a Trip Report, but that may take a little longer.

Was going to do a tour of the Olympic Dam mine, just for the hell of it, but Western Mining no longer do tours on Saturdays and the previous Thursday is just too soon for us. The size of the mine fascinates me, about 7 km by 4 km and up to 1 km deep. Still the Breakaways & Painted Desert is our priority for the trip and anything else is a bonus.

You should be a member mate and we could do this "in secret" by member message.

Hang Loose!
Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 424398

Follow Up By: phantom - Wednesday, Apr 26, 2006 at 17:06

Wednesday, Apr 26, 2006 at 17:06
Hi Sandman,
Thanks for the response.
I have passed the info on to B-I-L but just realised the timing might be tight as they were planning to leave last May.
I have also taken your advise and as it is my birthday today will become a member. I am going to buy some map cd's that I need and get free membership.
Phantom
FollowupID: 424447

Follow Up By: phantom - Wednesday, Apr 26, 2006 at 17:13

Wednesday, Apr 26, 2006 at 17:13
That should be 'late' May
FollowupID: 424452

Follow Up By: champagne - Tuesday, May 02, 2006 at 13:53

Tuesday, May 02, 2006 at 13:53
Hi Sandman,
Your news may be too late for some, but we are planning to get there about June 25th. Would appreciate your input if there is any water to be seen in Lake Eyre. Have a great trip and look forward to your news
Champagne
Couldn't ask for any better!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 425572

Sponsored Links