Cervantes to Lancelin WA

Submitted: Tuesday, Apr 25, 2006 at 16:52
ThreadID: 33233 Views:6932 Replies:3 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all

We are going to do the track from Cervantes to Lancelin this comming weekend.
We are planning to leave Cervantes early on Saturday morning, overnight with our camper trailers somewhere and finish up at Lancelin on Sunday afternoon. Does anybody out there know of any good camping spots along this trek? Any tips for this trek would be really welcome. I have already downloaded the trek plots on this site and read the track notes.

Thanks

Hans and Wendy
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: greenextreme - Tuesday, Apr 25, 2006 at 18:43

Tuesday, Apr 25, 2006 at 18:43
Hi Hans & Wendy,

It's been a couple of years since I drove that stretch.

From memory Cervantes to southern end of Nambung National Park is mostly rocky shorelines, low coastal scrub (with some bush tucker fruits) and all the usual restrictions of a national park. Not ideal for camping in my view.

However, there's some nice spots around Wedge Island.

From Wedge Island, drive north along the beach (safe 4Wding) for up to 5-6km's and either pull up on the beach (white sand, torquoise water, no people) or pull off into the dunes wherever possible and camp behind the first ridge. This is worth a look (it's a great, easy drive).

Alternatively, from Wedge Island drive south along the beach for 1.5~2.0km, drive over/inland of the first rocky headland, then along the beach for the next 8-10km's. Again, be on the lookout for short tracks off into the dunes leading into hollows behind the dunes. I've camped in quite a few of these spots and most of them are quite nice.

Low tide is mandatory if you want to go all the way to Lancelin along the beach (not recommended).

Otherwise, exit the beach around 10km's south of the headland...you will see a well worn exit that leads onto an inland track, veers around the bombing range fenceline, then follow the main track into Lancelin.

Enjoy,
greenextreme.
AnswerID: 168944

Reply By: Humboldts Down Under (WA) - Thursday, Apr 27, 2006 at 17:37

Thursday, Apr 27, 2006 at 17:37
Thanks for that.
AnswerID: 169345

Reply By: Findlater - Thursday, Apr 27, 2006 at 20:22

Thursday, Apr 27, 2006 at 20:22
G'day Guys

I know this reply is late for your trip but thought that I would add it any way .
I took my daughter camping in the area around Xmas time and noticed many no camping sign's. When I returned home I phoned the Shire of Gingin and found out that the shire of Gingin infact do not allow any free camping within it's shire,including the above area. A real waist as the coast is prestine in this area.
I have heard that if you camp within the wedge area you will be OK. If anyone knows any different I would be interested to know.

Regards

Findlater
AnswerID: 169376

Sponsored Links