Alice Springs to Wollongong

Submitted: Wednesday, Apr 26, 2006 at 15:49
ThreadID: 33264 Views:2252 Replies:3 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all, travelling from Alice home (Wollongong) in July this year, taking sealed roads there as travelling there with non-4WDers, and interested in any advice on interesting route home (going separate ways from Alice). Will have 7 - 10 days, and have Rodeo 4WD and camper trailer, and are happy with moderate 4WD track.

Interested in Birdsville and Cameron Corner. All advice gratefully accepted - previous advice has been excellent.....what a great site!!

Thanks
Cathy

PS - those who remember my previous questions - our Christmas W'gong to Bunbury, WA, adventure was absolutely brilliant, three boys aged 5 - 9 had a great time and travelled really well!
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Steve - Wednesday, Apr 26, 2006 at 21:57

Wednesday, Apr 26, 2006 at 21:57
Alice to Plenty Highway en route to Boulia, then Birdsville, down to Innaminka, the Strezlecki Track to Cameron's Corner , on to Tibooburra, then to Broken Hill if you like Bitumen to Sydney, or Tibooburra to Wanaaring to Bourke and then to Coolibah and over the Macquarie Marshes to Coonabarabran and then Scone and Sydney ( Woollongong is a suburb of Sydney !!) ...all suitable roads for your unit !!..Enjoy !!
steve
AnswerID: 169204

Follow Up By: Laura B - Thursday, Apr 27, 2006 at 10:03

Thursday, Apr 27, 2006 at 10:03
we are from Nowra just down the road and are going to Alice via Ood track and Finke leaving Aug 6th......

we are going to join the plenty hwy fom East McD ranges and do the Boulia - Birdsville - Innamincka - Cameron Corner but are ten going to go across the border to surfers....family...then head back in land go to Dubbo Zoo for the girls and head home....going to take 6 weeks......

but if you have non-4wders then i suggest another route.....if time permits....Tennant creek - Mt Isa - Longreach - Charleville - Goondawindi - coonabarrabran - Dubbo - Home......we have done this but started from Bundaberg and headed to Gundi.....not sure of any tarred road between Alice and Qld so cannt help much more......

Good luck...maybe see ya around....

Laura B
FollowupID: 424599

Reply By: cwynn - Thursday, Apr 27, 2006 at 08:30

Thursday, Apr 27, 2006 at 08:30
Thanks Steve, very helpful! Really looking forward to the trip. Have you done these routes? Any idea of reasonable time frames?
Thanks again,
Cathy
AnswerID: 169264

Reply By: Member - Prickle (SA) - Friday, Apr 28, 2006 at 00:18

Friday, Apr 28, 2006 at 00:18
Cathy,
Not a response for you, but if you are from Alice you may be able to help me out.

Leaving Adelaide 19th Aug. Will do Uluru, Kings Canyon etc, but spending a few days in Alice.

Can you suggest things to "must" see in Alice.

Regards
Russ

Life-often hell but never boring.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 169411

Sponsored Links