A first for me on Exploroz - no-one answered my Question!!

Submitted: Tuesday, May 02, 2006 at 23:31
ThreadID: 33476 Views:2539 Replies:7 FollowUps:9
This Thread has been Archived
Post 33413 my original Q was if anyone knew WHEN Yalwal was going to be shut again...it is definetely happening - just wanting to know when......

also my second Q was why do they lock off tracks for "saefty reasons" yet 4wd club member are allowed to have a key/access...they are no different to non-member drivers...is it an insurance thing???

Laura B
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Crazie (VIC) - Tuesday, May 02, 2006 at 23:35

Tuesday, May 02, 2006 at 23:35
Hi!!!

Just so someone answered your question

Ads
AnswerID: 170340

Reply By: Gramps (NSW) - Tuesday, May 02, 2006 at 23:45

Tuesday, May 02, 2006 at 23:45
Sorry Laura B, I've run out of chooks to slaughter so I can't examine their entrails and give you an answer. Do you think a cat would suffice? :))))))))

Regards

AnswerID: 170343

Follow Up By: Laura B - Wednesday, May 03, 2006 at 09:57

Wednesday, May 03, 2006 at 09:57
Cats....great....i could mention a few others but could probably stir everyone p again!!!LOL!!!

LB
FollowupID: 425780

Reply By: cokeaddict - Wednesday, May 03, 2006 at 06:05

Wednesday, May 03, 2006 at 06:05
Hi Laura,
Answer to Q 1.....i have no idea.

Answer to Q2...... I believe they want to restrict access to registered clubs only. I think its because when you up there in a club, members wont try and destroy the place bacause others in that group will not approve. So less chance of damage. Where as an individual 4wd'er or 2 may get carried away and do some stupid things while they are having fun.

Also remember that clubs, if profitable pay taxes..thus revenue for those who thing they know whats best for us.

I have to say though, I joined the nissan club a couple years back thinking it was the way to go...(safety in numbers, company on trips etc) but i just didnt feel comfortable when on outings. I felt there were too many rules and that i couldnt do my own thing. So after a couple of outings with them, i stopped being involved and went back to doing what i wanted and when i wanted to do it..I removed myself from that "sheep" feeling. Dont get me wrong, clubs do a great service out there but sometimes you just want to step over the line a bit and you just cant do that in a club.

A great example is Menai down here in sydney, They have a clean up day every so often. Clubs are welcome to come in and fill a bag with rubbish, hand that bag in to the officials. The officials take your rego number and i think they also ask you what club you belong to. Once they have your details you can then spend the day driving around in Menai. But if your not a member, legally you are not allowed in there. I did a clean up day with the nissan club once, of the 30 odd members that showed up that day, not all did any cleaning up, they just walked round waiting for the time so they could get dirty in the mud.

Ange.
AnswerID: 170354

Follow Up By: Mike Harding - Wednesday, May 03, 2006 at 06:59

Wednesday, May 03, 2006 at 06:59
I think I might start the "MH 4WD Club". One of it's founding rules will be a limit on the numbers of members; that limit will be one.

Mike Harding
FollowupID: 425741

Follow Up By: Laura B - Wednesday, May 03, 2006 at 10:09

Wednesday, May 03, 2006 at 10:09
Hey Ange,
I found that track - the one that looked like Yarramunmun crossed Braidwood Rd......its just another fire trail which links up to 12 mile rd and heads out towards Boyds Lookout. Eventually takes you out to the Princes Hwy south of Sussex turn off...

Laura
FollowupID: 425786

Follow Up By: Patrol22 - Wednesday, May 03, 2006 at 12:51

Wednesday, May 03, 2006 at 12:51
Laura - I think the name of the firetrail from the Nerriga Road through to Yalwal is 'Monkeygum' - quiet a nice drive at time but not in the wet.
FollowupID: 425825

Follow Up By: Laura B - Wednesday, May 03, 2006 at 13:15

Wednesday, May 03, 2006 at 13:15
Yeah Monkey Gum is a great track - Nathan goes on the KTM and I go out with the girlies in the 80....

Yarramunmun is the trail that goes into Yalwal form Nerriga Rd/Braidwood Rd....Monkey Gum is little closer to town....joins up with Deans Gap Rd evenually from memory....

my biggest track that i hate is Blackwood Fire Trail.......4km of intense/extreme/heart throbbing hill climb - took 6 4bs to do it in 13hrs - $9,000 worth of damage all up!!! the second time was 2.5hrs but had to rescue to very standard hilux's trying to attempt it!!! they had never been out there before!!

Laura
FollowupID: 425831

Follow Up By: Laura B - Thursday, May 04, 2006 at 14:46

Thursday, May 04, 2006 at 14:46
I finally got it out of the tourist info centre -

Yarramunmun and Monkeygum are CLOSED!!! As of now.......

Laura B
FollowupID: 426079

Follow Up By: cokeaddict - Thursday, May 04, 2006 at 20:08

Thursday, May 04, 2006 at 20:08
Frig....there goes my weekend up there then. Ho hum..back to the books i guess.

Thanks Laura.
Ange
FollowupID: 426176

Reply By: Richard W (NSW) - Wednesday, May 03, 2006 at 07:18

Wednesday, May 03, 2006 at 07:18
My understanding is that Yarramunmun was graded and gates put up by the council. Key access given to the local 4WD clubs to manage access. This failed and the council has washed their hands and given control of the area back to Dept of Lands. Haven't heard anything about it being locked off again but wouldn't be suprised. I'm also finding difficult to get any reliable info on area closures. Newnes, Watagans, Yalwal.

The clubs do a fair bit of voluntary restoration work in some of these areas. Controlled access is the only way some of the tracks have still been allowed to be used. eg. Menai, Spanish Stairs.

There has been long standing negotiations between the 4WD movement and National Parks to try and keep access open. If this had not been done more than likely much more would have been locked off.

Provided a club has liability insurance club trips are covered.
AnswerID: 170356

Reply By: Member - Oldplodder (QLD) - Wednesday, May 03, 2006 at 07:50

Wednesday, May 03, 2006 at 07:50
Laura,

I would have answered your question if I knew the answer.

Being in Qld, I don't know what you are talking about, so I thought I better keep quiet rather than post an answer that would be misleading or pure conjecture.

Not that every one does that!

Trick is osmetimes to word the question differently in the first place with a hint of humour or similar to get some interesting responses.
AnswerID: 170358

Reply By: signman - Wednesday, May 03, 2006 at 09:17

Wednesday, May 03, 2006 at 09:17
Why don't you just phone the relevant authorities?? I'm sure if you approached it in a diplomatic way they would furnish all the info. required.
Just don't mention angle grinders or bolt cutters....
I have had dealings with most of the authorities in that area including the Morton, Currowan and Yadboro forests, organising access for car rallys. They were always very helpful- even suggesting alternatives if a particular road was unavailable.
The area covered included from Nowra, south to Batemans Bay, west to Braidwood.
Maybe the reason non-club members are excluded is maybe they have a different 'attitude' to club members?? (read some comments to your previous posts)..
AnswerID: 170370

Follow Up By: Laura B - Wednesday, May 03, 2006 at 10:07

Wednesday, May 03, 2006 at 10:07
Tried - no go - they dont want to let anyone know anything - jus that it will be shut.

In MOST cases non-members and members are not 2 totally different people (one being the bush-wreckers and the other being "greenies")......most people i know join a club because they want to use these tracks and cannt if they arent members,

attitude is up to the individual not so much the club....

you can go out for a trip with other non-member 4wders and still have the "club attitude" that you talk of....

maybe non-members arent allowed in because of insurance - which everyone is just plain scared of being sued for something!!

why not have disclaimer forms to sign....there seems to be rangers out there all the time so why not!

LB

FollowupID: 425784

Follow Up By: Mike Harding - Wednesday, May 03, 2006 at 19:06

Wednesday, May 03, 2006 at 19:06
>Maybe the reason non-club members are excluded is
>maybe they have a different 'attitude' to club members??
>(read some comments to your previous posts)..

You do seem to have an issue with elitism don't you?
(read comments on your other posts).

Mike Harding
FollowupID: 425919

Reply By: Blackie - Wednesday, May 03, 2006 at 17:07

Wednesday, May 03, 2006 at 17:07
Laura B any thoughts on Post 32980?
Another clue. Its at least a thousand K's from any capital city.
AnswerID: 170471

Sponsored Links