Our Trip Round Oz :)

Submitted: Saturday, May 06, 2006 at 16:13
ThreadID: 33611 Views:3421 Replies:15 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Hey guys and girls,

We're in the process of planning our trip around Australia, but won't be leaving for 18 months - 2 years. This will be our first trip with a camper trailer and have planned accordingly. Just wanting to see what you guys think... and whether we should take anything out, or add anything to our plans. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Meg and Dean

..here it is..

Sydney to Melbourne

New South Wales

1st Stop – Royal National Park (#30)
- south east of Sutherland
- Bonnie Vale Camping Ground Stage 1 & 3 - $3/$2 - $8/$4
- Princes Highway, Sir Bertram Stevens Drive
2nd Stop – Eurobodalla National Park (#17)
- Just south of Bodalla, Batemans Bay
- Princes Highway 1
- Congo Camping Area Stage 2 - $3/$5
3rd Stop – Ben Boyd National Park (#2)
- South of Eden and Merimbula
- Saltwater Creek and Bittangabee Camping Area Stage 2 - $3/$5

Victoria
4th Stop – Wilson’s Promontory National Park
- Just south of Gippsland Highway
- Tidal River Camping Ground
5th Stop – Melbourne
- Staying with Family
6th Stop – Spa Country
- Daylesford Victoria Caravan Park
- Ballan Rd, Daylesford VIC 3460
- Site Link
7th Stop – Grampians National Park
- 26 km from Stawell
- From Daylesford head to Ballarat and then take Western Highway
- Camping, BBQs, 4x4, Toilets, etc
8th Stop – Little Desert National Park
- North-west of Grampians, take Western Highway
- Wimmera River Campground
- 4x4 Driving
9th Stop – Adelaide Caravan Park
- Closest to City Centre
- $28-$31 per night powered site
- www.adelaidecaravanpark.com.au
10th Stop – Port Pirie Caravan Park
- unpowered site - $18 a night all year round
- laundry, bathrooms and BBQs
- www.parks-sa.com.au/beach.html
11th – Marree Drover’s Rest Tourist Park
- $16 a day for two people unpowered site
- Start of Oodnadatta Track
- Site Link

12th – Coward Springs Campground
- fee payable
- BBQ, Showers
- Warm natural Spa
13th - Oodnadatta Caravan Park

14th – Marla Roadhouse?

15th – Alice Springs
- West MacDonnell National Park
- Great Central Highway
- Site Link
16th - Ayers Rock Campground
- $13 per person per night
- Site Link
17th – Warakurna Roadhouse
- campgrounds
18th – Tjukayirla Roadhouse
- campgrounds
19th – Leonora Caravan Park
20th - The Haven Caravan Park, Coolgardie
21st – Victoria Rock
- Camping Ground
22nd – just before state barrier at bush camp
23rd – Hyden
- Wave Rock Campground
24th - Fitzgerald River National Park
- camping etc.
25th - William Bay National Park
26th – Margaret River
27th – Perth
28th – Carnarvon
29th – Eighty Mile Beach
30th – Broome
- 40 kms out of Broome at Quandong Point, WA
31st – Derby
- start of Kimberley Grand Tour
- Not through Nov to April
32nd – Kununurra
- Kono Lakeside Caravan Park
- Wyndham Pub for lunch @ old Wynham Port area
33rd – Katherine
- Edith Falls (2-3 Days)
34th – Darwin
- Lee Point Caravan Park
35th – Jabiru/Pine Creek
36th – Mataranka
- Start trek across the Gulf
- Through Borroloola and Normanton
- To Cloncurry
37th – Winton
38th – Barcladine
39th – Charleville
40th – Brisbane
41st – Lennox
42nd – Yuragir National Park
43rd – Crowdy Bay National Park
44th – Home
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: megs1211 - Saturday, May 06, 2006 at 16:15

Saturday, May 06, 2006 at 16:15
forgot to mention, we will be starting from the central coast, nsw..
And the trip will be for 6 months.
Thanks
Meg and Dean
AnswerID: 171157

Reply By: Platz - Saturday, May 06, 2006 at 17:59

Saturday, May 06, 2006 at 17:59
Hi Meg and Dean,

We take off for our big adventure in just under a month. Have been planning it for several years now. we are going to alot of the same places as you esp in WA and NT. Would be glad to fill you in when we get back. We also live on the Central Coast
AnswerID: 171170

Reply By: Footloose - Saturday, May 06, 2006 at 18:36

Saturday, May 06, 2006 at 18:36
"This will be our first trip with a camper trailer" My only comment would be to go away for a few weekends with a CT so that you don't make any embarrasing or dangerous mistakes a long way from home.
I'm sure you'll have a great time.
AnswerID: 171172

Follow Up By: BLUEBAG53 - Saturday, May 06, 2006 at 19:27

Saturday, May 06, 2006 at 19:27
and also to identify those sparenuts bolts screws and washers you may need to take. Oh and don't forget the fencing wire!
Safe Trip and Happy days!
FollowupID: 426644

Reply By: Member - ROTORD - Saturday, May 06, 2006 at 19:35

Saturday, May 06, 2006 at 19:35
Delete Canarvon , insert Coral Bay .
AnswerID: 171180

Follow Up By: Member - Andrew(WA) - Saturday, May 06, 2006 at 20:42

Saturday, May 06, 2006 at 20:42
I'm offended!

good point though.

Although Carnarvon is a good 're-supply' stop. We have Woolies (and Woolies liquor) all Perth prices.

See, it isn't so bad after all!
FollowupID: 426654

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Sunday, May 07, 2006 at 23:41

Sunday, May 07, 2006 at 23:41
Coral Bay used to be beautiful - last time we drove down the bitumised road (instead of the limestone ridged unsealed road) and saw a city of buildings and camping area. YUK! We turned around and drove straight out again. Might as well go to the city. Ruined!

The Ningaloo coast on the west side of the Exmouth Peninsula is just beautiful - an unspoiled great barrier reef - well i hope it's not wall to wall people by now.

Nothing wrong with Carnarvon - go fishing from the jetty each evening, nice drives along the coast to the north and the south, plantations along the river.
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 426854

Reply By: megs1211 - Saturday, May 06, 2006 at 19:43

Saturday, May 06, 2006 at 19:43
ohhh thanks heaps :)
Footloose - we meant first BIG trip, we'll go on a few little trips to get used to having the trailer etc...
ROTORD - coral bay.... will look into it, the plan gets a bit rough after i got a bit bored of going thorugh all the places, big day looking through dean's 4wd monthly mag and countless maps!
Platz - would love to keep in contact and see how your trip goes! any help would be greatly appreciated!

thank you!
megs and dean
AnswerID: 171182

Reply By: Motherhen - Saturday, May 06, 2006 at 19:48

Saturday, May 06, 2006 at 19:48
Sounds incredibly structured - right down to knowing where you will stay. The best advice on what the see and where to stay if often picked up from others out on the road. While not being in the well travelled position of being able to comment on your time frame and places, i will add that often we have thought we'd fit this, that and the other in a day, and found it worth spending two on the first, or conversely discovering we have covered all three and it's not even noon. Allow for flexibility and I'm sure you will see more of what you really like when you get thee and be much more relaxed in the process. Is this going to be the 'trip of a lifetime'? It looks like you will be travelling long distances to cover much of Australia in a short time, rather than spending a little more time seeing a state or two and hoping for another trip in a few years time to see more.

I also support having a trial run or two - not just a weekend, but around 4 weeks. I'm sure this will change your packing list and how you plan your days on the road. Our holiday last year was 4 weeks, summer only. This year it was 3 months, all climates, yet we took less clothes and food in our more experienced packing. Short of a major welding job, we had enough tools and equipment to get us (as well as others) back on the road.

You will have a fabulous trip.
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 171185

Follow Up By: Barnesy - Sunday, May 07, 2006 at 00:22

Sunday, May 07, 2006 at 00:22
Agree with motherhen. make a note of the areas or places you really want to go and head in that general direction. play it by ear where you stay.

enjoy the places you experience to the fullest and if you lose track of time then you can make a quick dash straight for home.

Barnesy
FollowupID: 426699

Reply By: Shaker - Saturday, May 06, 2006 at 19:53

Saturday, May 06, 2006 at 19:53
Oodnadatta Caravan Park, if you mean the Pink Roadhouse .... forget it!
It is like staying at a tip.
You should go to Mt Dare, & then do the Old Ghan Rail Trail through to Alice Springs, try camping in the desert on the way.
AnswerID: 171188

Follow Up By: megs1211 - Saturday, May 06, 2006 at 19:58

Saturday, May 06, 2006 at 19:58
thanks shaker, its info like this and a forum like this one that im sure will help our trip be far more enjoyable than possible if we were to simply plan it and go. Will be sure to check out the places/stops that everybody has recommended, first hand experience is something we lack as far as many of the locations go, so thank you people for making our choices easier ;)

Meg and Dean
FollowupID: 426646

Follow Up By: slave - Sunday, May 07, 2006 at 08:42

Sunday, May 07, 2006 at 08:42
I totally agree Shaker.

I would stop at Oodnadatta for a look but don't fancy spending the night there, especially after hearing stories of tents disappearing of the top of 4wd in broad daylight.

I prefer to camp in the bush rather than caravan parks anyway.

Mrs Slave
FollowupID: 426720

Reply By: megs1211 - Saturday, May 06, 2006 at 19:56

Saturday, May 06, 2006 at 19:56
Motherhen,

thanks for the reply, yeh we definitely understand that sometimes youll either end up where you had planned or sometimes you wont, we kind of experienced this before christmas when we went away for 4 weeks and didnt even get to some of the places we had planned becuase places like Barrington Tops were rained out and stayed there shorter than planned, yet places like Woody Head at Iluka were so good we decided to stay longer.

Well definitely get away some time before "the big trip" in order to sort somethings out and work out some sort of packing plan. Weve been away plenty of times before, though tent based touring. For "the big trip" well be taking a trailer and exploring the country using that. Hopefully its a good trip, Meg being the control freak, and Dean being the mechanic/driver for the duo, we usually end up using both of our lines of thought to pull through the obstacles that tend to arise when touring. It should be a good trip, but we wont be leaving for as weve said, 18 months > 2 yrs, but this is why we are planning now, so as we can eliminate as many mishaps as possible,

thanks for the help guys and girls

Meg and Dean :)
AnswerID: 171190

Reply By: Member - Andrew(WA) - Saturday, May 06, 2006 at 20:50

Saturday, May 06, 2006 at 20:50
megs

planning such a big trip is great but so many variables will come into to play along the way.

Your 'plan' I think will quickly go out the window but will be good as a structured route and will help with times lines as well.

My experience was that with so much to see and so many surprises along the way, just make sure you have time to see the things you really MUST see and then time will determine the rest.

You may also get tired of setting up and down the camper (we did) and so end up spending longer and exploring the really good spots.

It'll be fantastic!
AnswerID: 171196

Reply By: atoyot - Saturday, May 06, 2006 at 22:38

Saturday, May 06, 2006 at 22:38
Meggs,

Talk to people as you go as some like places for different reasons. For example, going to Coral Bay instead of Canarvon might be OK, but for me, I'd forget Coral Bay and go to Cape Range and camp away from the crowds - we had our own private beach there, but then again, that might not be what you're interested in. Our perspective might be a bit different to others, just as yours might. You'll meet people who'll warn you off places like Litchfield, and others that will recommend it (we didn't mind it), but you'll just have to suss people out as to whether they have similar tastes as yourself.

Also remember that places change and things that might have spoiled places in the past may have changed, ie, are the flying foxes still at Mataranka? Just keep an open mind and talk to people as you go. The only other thing that I'd recommend would be to spend more time at the places that are furtherest away as you might not be going back there too soon; don't waste too much time close to home. BTW, Cona at Kununurra is great, right on lake kununurra - just thinking about it gives me itchy feet,

regards

Andrew
AnswerID: 171218

Reply By: Nifty1 - Sunday, May 07, 2006 at 08:50

Sunday, May 07, 2006 at 08:50
It would be a pity to miss the NSW/Vic High Country. You could divert from Merimbula to Jindabyne - Kosciusco - Tom Groggin - Corryong - Bright - Mt Hotham - Omeo - Bairnsdale and then carry on to the Prom.
AnswerID: 171248

Reply By: Member - Ozdyssey (QLD) - Sunday, May 07, 2006 at 12:00

Sunday, May 07, 2006 at 12:00
Meg and Dean,
We're heading off in 10 days with the camper to do the block etc. We started 18 mths ago doing a plan just like yours but after a 3 week shake down trip recently, we quickly realised it would be impractical to try and stick to. We now have a very rough route that we will attempt to follow. Trying to work to a schedule can spoil things and make the trip somewhat stressful.
Planning is part of the fun but don't let it become a chore.
John

AnswerID: 171270

Reply By: Member - Royce- Sunday, May 07, 2006 at 12:52

Sunday, May 07, 2006 at 12:52
Have a great time. Some of the most exciting parts are the planning. Be prepared for all the plans to go out the window as you get out there.... don't worry. That's how it's supposed to go! :0]]
AnswerID: 171282

Reply By: Member - Michael O (NSW) - Sunday, May 07, 2006 at 16:07

Sunday, May 07, 2006 at 16:07
I spent 2 and a half years on the road and when people ask me how I planned it, all I say is "clockwise..."

Any more specific than that is wasting brain power...

Get on the road, Talk a bit and listen lots!

Timetables are for workers. You're on holidays remember...

AnswerID: 171313

Reply By: Member - Glenn D (NSW) - Sunday, May 07, 2006 at 20:41

Sunday, May 07, 2006 at 20:41
Hows it going guys,

In 2004 my wife and I went round oz in the 4 months available to us ,we had the best time .

I like you was very excited and planned the ittinerary almost to the day due to the relatively short time allowed. I realised this wasnt going to work soon after we left , there are too many variables .

What we found worked was just to have the route you want to travel and some highlights that you want to visit along the way sort of set in , as some have said in previous posts , people you meet along the way will be your best source of info because they will just have come from where you are going .

Like you the first days of our trip were just driving , although we were going the other way , once we got to Cairns we slowed down. This gave us maximum time in the top end and in WA , places that are a little harder to get to.

Time wise the best advice I think I could give would be : dont be afraid to stay an extra day or two in places you really like because later places you have planned to stay awhile wont be worth staying at.

Very envious .

Glenn.
AnswerID: 171387

Sponsored Links