Jayco or similar

Submitted: Thursday, Feb 13, 2003 at 17:27
ThreadID: 3362 Views:3371 Replies:7 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
I'm looking at buying a off road Jayco Finch or similar, the van will be towed on corrigated dirt roads eg. the Birdsville Track and the like. Some feedback from someone who owns one would be helpfull in regards to their performance, good or bad.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Steven - Thursday, Feb 13, 2003 at 21:30

Thursday, Feb 13, 2003 at 21:30
ryan as the owner of a jayco 16 ft 0ffroad poptop we find it travels pretty well on the bumpy roads but we were a bit dissapointed with the underneath of the van as there was very little protection of hoses etc although water tanks have stone gaurds but as an off road vehicle its not to bad tows well but its only 2 yrs old only problem is fridge are you buying a new one if so make sure they offer you a longer warranty on fridge etc goodluck steve
AnswerID: 13070

Reply By: Meggs - Thursday, Feb 13, 2003 at 21:31

Thursday, Feb 13, 2003 at 21:31
Alex I own a Finch and I have towed it over a bit of corrugated road and it went OK. I had plenty of time I was only travelling at about 30klm max and at that speed I could pick my way around the bad corrugations. From what I have found from many newsgroups is that they are for light corrugations and only and at reasonably slow speed. The weak spot with these campers if the internal fittings the chassis is solid enough. If you want a real 4X4 camper that will go anywhere at any speed I think you should invest in the "tent on a trailer" units as they are built like a brick outhouse.
If you do a search back through this newsgroup you will conflicting answers to your question.
Sorry I couldn't say yes or no but I would be surprised if you could a definite answer to your question
AnswerID: 13071

Reply By: flappan - Friday, Feb 14, 2003 at 11:28

Friday, Feb 14, 2003 at 11:28
IMO The Jaycos are the best of these types of vans.

However, from my research, they are still more of an off highway van then a true offroad van. I don't doubt they will do the job, but long term problems would surely eventuate.
Obvioulsy depending on your requirements, if your intention is to really do offroad, one of the camper trailers may be a better option.

AnswerID: 13098

Reply By: Peter - Friday, Feb 14, 2003 at 15:31

Friday, Feb 14, 2003 at 15:31
Take a look at an Ultimate: www.ultimatecampers.com.au

See the review on these pages.
AnswerID: 13120

Reply By: Peter - Friday, Feb 14, 2003 at 15:32

Friday, Feb 14, 2003 at 15:32
Take a look at an Ultimate: www.ultimatecampers.com.au
No problems with rough roads when you have one.
AnswerID: 13121

Reply By: Jim - Saturday, Feb 15, 2003 at 14:28

Saturday, Feb 15, 2003 at 14:28
I towed an off-road Penquin over the Gibb R road and into the Bungle Bungles, down the Heather & Gunbarrel Highways, plus a few more dirt tracks. It followed like a lamb, but we did shake a few screws loose.

Jim
AnswerID: 13196

Reply By: brian - Saturday, Feb 15, 2003 at 17:45

Saturday, Feb 15, 2003 at 17:45
Alex,in my view the jayco will be well suited to rougher previously graded tracks such as birdsville track,west qld,corner country,frazer island,that sort of thing,i wouldnt take it to cape york,simpson desert etc,used carefully you will get many years of use on secondry roads.also you can easily increase clearance by reversing,ie underslinging the axle should give approx 2 inch lift. I have 25 year old sun camper van that has been everywhere on secondry roads,no failures but yes the screws do fall out inside,just put them back.also you MUST fit treg coupling or similar,SAW two tent on a trailer units in palm valley with the std tow ball coupling smashed when trying easy creek crossing,leaving these units stranded
AnswerID: 13202

Sponsored Links