Trip Information

Submitted: Thursday, May 11, 2006 at 10:06
ThreadID: 33784 Views:1889 Replies:7 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Hi,

What is the scenery like from Oodnadatta - Coober Pedy - William Ck. is this a nice area to drive or not worth the effort and just do from Oodnadatta - William Ck. From the hema maps i have it seems there are a lot of creek crossing heading to Coober Pedy (if theres water there). Are there some good camp spots along the way etc?

The trip I had laid out was just Oodnadatta - William ck and look around this area and lake Erye.

Thanks in advance
Brian
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Cruiser (NSW) - Thursday, May 11, 2006 at 10:14

Thursday, May 11, 2006 at 10:14
William Creek to Cober pedy is as boring as bat bleep , but if you need to go there from William Creek, then not much choice.
AnswerID: 172104

Follow Up By: cloughie - Thursday, May 11, 2006 at 10:38

Thursday, May 11, 2006 at 10:38
There is Lake Cadibarrawirracanna on this road which is signposted as the longest place name in Aust. Nice desert wetlands and good for camping.You also pass through Anna Creek Station which is the worlds largest cattle station
FollowupID: 427668

Follow Up By: signman - Thursday, May 11, 2006 at 11:49

Thursday, May 11, 2006 at 11:49
Dunno how you can say it's boring- all the areas away from home/work are interesting. But then I guess the Simpson crossing is boring cos all there is are heaps of sand dunes.
That Lake Cadiwhat-ever, I don't think they signpost it any more cos people keep flogging the sign!!!
FollowupID: 427682

Reply By: Member - Duncs - Thursday, May 11, 2006 at 10:23

Thursday, May 11, 2006 at 10:23
Haven't driven from William Creek to Coober Pedy but have done the run from William Creek to Maree.

There is plenty to see in that part of the track and I wished I had more time when I was there.

I know people who said the Nullarbor was boring but I did not think so. I have a friend who spent 3 weeks getting for Ceduna to Norseman and said it was great.

I reckon the most boring drive I do is from Cobar to Broken Hill, but there are still things to see. A lot of it is attitude and expectation. I wouldn't go expecting rugged mountains and lush valleys with waterfalls but if you have not been out that way, and you go with the right attitude, then you will find plenty of interest.

Duncs
AnswerID: 172105

Reply By: Member - MUZBRY VIC) - Thursday, May 11, 2006 at 12:49

Thursday, May 11, 2006 at 12:49
Gday
I found the trip in 2001 very interesting...There is lots to see and a lot of time to look...Just take your time ...Lake eyre is there the lowest place in Aus that is above ground ,,you can see for kilometers ( miles ) very plesent..love to go back.William Creek pub is ok as long as there isn't a bus load of sweaty tourists in there .i digress
Muzbry
Muzbry
Great place to be Mt Blue Rag 27/12/2012

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 172127

Reply By: David from David and Justine Olsen's 4WD Tag-Along - Thursday, May 11, 2006 at 13:20

Thursday, May 11, 2006 at 13:20
Oodnadatta to Coober Pedy via the Painted Desert is an experience that should not be missed.

Site Link

Stay a night at Arkaringa, see the painted desert at dawn and dusk...worth the so called boring drive
AnswerID: 172135

Follow Up By: Richard W (NSW) - Thursday, May 11, 2006 at 15:32

Thursday, May 11, 2006 at 15:32
Agree with that and also The Breakaways near Coober Pedy.
FollowupID: 427727

Follow Up By: Sand Man (SA) - Thursday, May 11, 2006 at 16:19

Thursday, May 11, 2006 at 16:19
Yes, but PLEASE don't do it next week 'cause it's MY turn.

Have planned to go out via the Breakaways loop from Coober Pedy, then on to Arckaringa to camp for a couple of nights. Will drop in to Oodnadatta briefly, but stay the night just south at Algebuckina Waterhole, before moving on to William Creek. Was originally planning to camp out at Halligan Bay, Lake Eyre National Park, but not allowed a camp fire, so will take a trip out during the day and return to William Creek to stay a second night. Have to have a camp fire.

Oh Boy, oh Boy, oh Boy, only two more sleeps!!!
Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 427738

Reply By: Pitbull - Thursday, May 11, 2006 at 14:20

Thursday, May 11, 2006 at 14:20
That sounds like a plan to stay a night between Oodnadatta and Coober Pedy. I have allowed 7 days from Mt Dare to Lyndhurst hopefully that gives a fair sort of exploring time and not rushing about. Going to lyndhurst will depend on if we decide to go the birdsville track and home via Quilpie or the Stezelecki and camrons corner way back to bris.

As for boring..... driving to work is boring :)

Thnaks for the info
Brian

AnswerID: 172140

Reply By: Member - Alex B - Thursday, May 11, 2006 at 18:36

Thursday, May 11, 2006 at 18:36
Hi Pitbul, definitely check out the Painted Desert, we camped at Copper Hill Station, great spot next to a billabong and caught heaps of yabbies. As mentioned, the Breakaways out of Coober Pedy is a must see. And you head further down the track, Howard springs is a nice place to wash off the dust and the mound springs are worth a look.

Enjoy! It’s a great area.
Alex

Enjoy everyday, make your own luck & help a few along the way.

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 172165

Reply By: Warrie - Thursday, May 11, 2006 at 19:57

Thursday, May 11, 2006 at 19:57
Ah, Pitbull, what a name. Anyway on my Hema road atlas maps 66 and 67 is our starting point for part of our big Aug -Sept 2005 trip.Arkaroola(K 11) and the Gammon Ranges were awesome. Then across to Leigh Ck, up to Marree and across to camp on the shores of Lake Eyre South.Along to William Ck via most of the little ruins and historic sites noted on the map. Coward Springs had a nice 6 x 4 feet hot spa. The pub was dead so it was on to Coober Pedy via billions of wildflowers and a sunset on the moonscape an hour out of town. I have pix of all these spots and your post will be my prompt to put some on in Places in the next week or so. Everybody else out there needs to do the same. Safe travelling, Warrie
Warrie

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 172175

Sponsored Links