Outback Challenge

Submitted: Monday, May 15, 2006 at 20:28
ThreadID: 33925 Views:1787 Replies:4 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hey All,

Should have put this up sooner but ......(think of an excuse that would appeal to you and inset here).

Spent yesterday arvo watching the boys and girls play in their trucks. They had lots of fun. Although some did get carried away and break their shiny new toy. I am sure they will be back into it now.

The stage this year had two vehicles running side by side along a course that was very tight and rough and exciting to watch. Times in the afternoon session ranged from 2.37 to over 5.00min (a DNF).

It looks like being a tough event this year with breakages on the first night stage on Saturday night. This is basically a blast down the creek bed what you need to win is lots of horsepower, big lights and even bigger bulls (did i spell that right). I have driven this creek myself many times and at 30 to 40 km/h it is very pretty but I don't think the competitors saw much of the scenery. It's hard to imagine how they manage to break things in the creek but I guess if you go hard enough.... and they really do. Not sure if I'll get out in the bush to watch any of the stages out of town but I am sure it will be fun.

I cought up with Bonz, Al and Crazie on thursday night. They called in to work and just after making a up of tea we had to go to a small fire they were jealous that I got to play with the siren. They are looking forward to an exciting week and should arrive home tired and pumped early next week. Bumped into AL and Crazie at the show and shine on Saturday too. They were handing out sponsors stickers for the competitors and having a ball.

I'll try to put some pics up but my puter is petering out on me

Duncs
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Al & Mrs Al (Vic) - Tuesday, May 16, 2006 at 12:47

Tuesday, May 16, 2006 at 12:47
Hi Duncs,

I spoke with Al last night, he seemed very tired after a couple of late nights or early mornings and sounded like things were a bit disorganised, couldn't chat for long as he was on the sat phone, might get a longer chat tonight as I think he's back in Silverton for tomorrow's stage.

Lyn
AnswerID: 172919

Reply By: Al & Mrs Al (Vic) - Tuesday, May 16, 2006 at 20:10

Tuesday, May 16, 2006 at 20:10
Hi Duncs,

just spoke with Al, he and Bonz are back in Broken Hill, and will be heading out to Silverton, they seemed pretty high tonight, did not get to bed til 4am this morning after a problem with a competitors vehicle

Lyn
AnswerID: 173004

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Tuesday, May 16, 2006 at 22:14

Tuesday, May 16, 2006 at 22:14
Word is that one of the mud stages is CHIN DEEP!!!!!!! there were 4 hydro lockups in the first group to go through...
How is that to destroy your event.. Pretty poor planning I would say, theres a lot of money goes into some of these trucks, and to be out within 1 hour of the start, that would make me not come back.
AnswerID: 173030

Reply By: Member - Patrick (QLD) - Wednesday, May 17, 2006 at 02:49

Wednesday, May 17, 2006 at 02:49
I've been trying to track down progressive results of the events to date as I have a mate taking part this year. Does anybody have a web site that may offer this information.

Tried the organisers site but nothing there. Nothing on a Google search either.

Cheers, Patrick
AnswerID: 173067

Follow Up By: Member - Duncs - Thursday, May 18, 2006 at 11:23

Thursday, May 18, 2006 at 11:23
Hi Patrick,

The loacal paper had a front page story on the Challenge this morning but it was light on detail. Apparently six vehicles haave dropped out including last years winner, but that is all I know.

I think one of the areas where the event organisers fall down is in communicating with those of us who are interested but unable to attend. There are people in Broken Hill who don't know what the event is about or even that it is on.

I can't afford to take the week off work to follow the event, it is all happeneing within close proximity to my home and yet there are no arrangements that I am aware of for people like me to visit a stage for just one day. I have doen it in the past but have always had to talk the organisers into allowing me to do it. Thankfully one of the girls working in the event HQ is sympathetic.

Maybe next year when I will be living in Sydney I will take a week off and come up to do it properly.

Duncs
FollowupID: 429210

Follow Up By: Member - Patrick (QLD) - Thursday, May 18, 2006 at 17:58

Thursday, May 18, 2006 at 17:58
Thanks Duncs for the follow-up. It is frustrating not to be able to obtain info on just what ios happening with this event as there are many people other than myself who are interested in what's going on out there.

I'll just have to wait until the mate gets home or I can get him on the mobile.

Thanks again,

Cheers, Patrick
FollowupID: 429318

Sponsored Links