Chevy Suburban

Submitted: Sunday, Feb 16, 2003 at 19:39
ThreadID: 3395 Views:2634 Replies:6 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
I am thinking of getting rid of my Troopy and moving on to a Suburban, mainly for the space and comfort (five kids). I don't really know much about them, have read a few articles but no real input from owners or people that may have used them off road. When I say off road I know that they are a big beast but I am curious to know if anyone has actually had any first hand experience and if so, how it went.

I would appreciate any feedback that any of you guy's and girls could give me and look forward to your replies. The vehicle I am looking at is the 2500 6.5 turbo diesel, it has 125000k's on the clock. I live in the N.T.

Regards John
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Peter- Monday, Feb 17, 2003 at 21:47

Monday, Feb 17, 2003 at 21:47
John before I sold my troopy and bought my Hummer I asked a similar question to you and didn't get too many worthwhile replies here in Australia, not a very common vehicle here, like a suburban. I went looking on the net and found a few user groups in the US and around the world which were very helpful, including tips on what to look out for s/hand.
As far as the drivetrain goes there are plenty of spares around and the motor is bulletproof, mine is NA (would love a turbo).
Don't worry about the width a Hummer is only 200mm wider than a 100 series, a Suburban would be less.

Peter in Sydney
AnswerID: 13353

Reply By: Cairns Offroad Training & Tours - Tuesday, Feb 18, 2003 at 00:39

Tuesday, Feb 18, 2003 at 00:39
Suburbans are very aptly named. A few tour operators bought them when they first came out for thier carrying capacity, even on trips to Cape Trib, no dirt roads, they self destructed. Our dealer up here doesn't sell them anymore. Definitely a backward step from a reliable Troopy I would think.
Cheers Rob
Cairns Offroad Training & Tours
www.4wdtraining.com
4wdtraining@cairns.net.au
www.cedarparkresort.com.au

AnswerID: 13377

Reply By: jason - Tuesday, Feb 18, 2003 at 16:14

Tuesday, Feb 18, 2003 at 16:14
i read an article in 4x4 australia magazine on a road test in a suburban.they took it on some corrugated roads and the dash basically fell out.
AnswerID: 13398

Reply By: desert - Tuesday, Feb 18, 2003 at 17:33

Tuesday, Feb 18, 2003 at 17:33
JohnH, I just wonder about that huge Dana 60 diff in the back of them. Sure, they are unbreakable diffs, but would be an immovable boat anchor to drag through mud or over deep sand country? I question the, "offroad-ability" of that and the huge turning circle?Engine wise, well, I had one of those V8 diesels in a 75 series ute before it blew up. I replaced it with a Toyota 1HD-T and it would run rings around the chev for power, noise, starting ease and economy.
AnswerID: 13407

Reply By: JohnH - Tuesday, Feb 18, 2003 at 22:38

Tuesday, Feb 18, 2003 at 22:38
Thanks fellas for your prompt replies. I have decided to give it a whirl despite some of your comments. I realise that I will not be able to go to some of the places the troopy took me but have decided that it will be fun trying, if it doesn't fall to bits first. Majority of the use will be highway anyway.

All the best and once again thanks for your comments.
AnswerID: 13431

Reply By: Savvas - Wednesday, Feb 19, 2003 at 10:59

Wednesday, Feb 19, 2003 at 10:59
John,

Check out this website for opinions of US owners. Where else would you find so many Suburban owners for feedback? -

http://townhall.edmunds.com/TH/townhall
AnswerID: 13458

Sponsored Links