battery

Submitted: Friday, May 19, 2006 at 19:08
ThreadID: 34050 Views:2096 Replies:9 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
Hello All,
Can anyone please shed some light on the best dual battery system or at least a good quality one

Thanks Peter A
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Shaker - Friday, May 19, 2006 at 19:14

Friday, May 19, 2006 at 19:14
Try a forum search at the top of the index page, it has been done to death here.
AnswerID: 173588

Reply By: Member - Tony T (VIC) - Friday, May 19, 2006 at 19:33

Friday, May 19, 2006 at 19:33
Try Chris at Battery World Wantirna- AGM and redarc isolator- (hope I don't get into trouble with the mention, and no, I'm not his cousin, just got lots of explanation about what he recommended, then a neat job and a fair price. Wish everything I have bought was as straightforward.
AnswerID: 173592

Follow Up By: Emo - Friday, May 19, 2006 at 21:24

Friday, May 19, 2006 at 21:24
I highly recommend Chris's work. I'm not related either. He did a great job fitting a second battery (deep cycle) to my 80 series Landcruiser with a couple of Hella plugs in the back.
FollowupID: 429589

Follow Up By: Jimbo - Saturday, May 20, 2006 at 09:34

Saturday, May 20, 2006 at 09:34
Ditto repeato.

I've been dealing with him since he opened about two years ago. Nothing's ever too much trouble. Good work, fair prices and a good bloke too.
FollowupID: 429641

Reply By: Alloy c/t - Friday, May 19, 2006 at 19:35

Friday, May 19, 2006 at 19:35
Type in battery into forum search , when the headache subsides after reading 345,789 thousand items/comments/replies and you still cant make up your mind ,sell the 4x4 and buy a pushbike. LOL.
AnswerID: 173594

Reply By: Member - mikeyandmary (NSW) - Friday, May 19, 2006 at 20:03

Friday, May 19, 2006 at 20:03
Your profile says you have a dual battery system. If it's for you, what is wrong with yours??? If its for someone else, why not recommend what you are using?

For the record we used a GSL electronic solenoid/isolator. Cost $120 from Wagner at Ashfield (Sydney)
AnswerID: 173599

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen M (NSW) - Friday, May 19, 2006 at 22:44

Friday, May 19, 2006 at 22:44
Hi there Mike & Mary, just wondering did you have a look at the water tank in my profile when you asked last tme, have just about had the new one made should be ready in a couple of days.Will be puting the aluminum one on ebay in a couple of weeks when we get back from holidays. Regards Steve M
FollowupID: 429608

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen M (NSW) - Friday, May 19, 2006 at 22:57

Friday, May 19, 2006 at 22:57
Sorry fogot to mention fixed brake problem, needed to adjust rear brake shoes up put another set of newpads in, fitting new shocks this week so will stop it nose diving as much under emergency braking even got it to lock up so all ok, also there a part that is connected to the steering box I think called the pit man arm then off that runs another arm type called the drag link, at both end of this arm are split pins pull them out and put in a large flat screw driver and wound them right in then backed off half a turn as required put split pins back in huge differance in steering virtually no free play. I wound these screws in at least 4 full turns so they obviously have never been touched in 17 years,amazing the differance in the steering now. When new shockies go in will book in to pro axle for a wheel alighnment, rang them after your last follow up they are very nice blokes and seem to now there job so steering will be spot on after that. Thanks for their name much appreciated. Regards Steve M
FollowupID: 429614

Follow Up By: Member - Peter A (VIC) - Friday, May 19, 2006 at 23:29

Friday, May 19, 2006 at 23:29
Mikey & mary,
The profile is old and I have not updated since I have updated my vehicle, yes I did have a dual system but seeing we have alot of experts in the forum I would ask if any have better ideas than what I had, is that okay
FollowupID: 429623

Follow Up By: Member - mikeyandmary (NSW) - Saturday, May 20, 2006 at 09:51

Saturday, May 20, 2006 at 09:51
Hi Peter,

"is that ok"... so much stress on a Friday night

If you're looking for help you're in the right place. This forum does have heaps of great info and advice. I wasn't looking to make a smart comment, rather asking for more info that could help provide a more accurate answer.

FollowupID: 429642

Reply By: SteveL - Friday, May 19, 2006 at 21:21

Friday, May 19, 2006 at 21:21
I have a redarc smart solenoid I bought on ebay for $83.(to replace a rotronics isolator that gave up)Very easy unit to install and seems quite robust and water/dirt proof,unlike former unit. -Steve
AnswerID: 173609

Follow Up By: Mad Dog (Australia) - Friday, May 19, 2006 at 22:51

Friday, May 19, 2006 at 22:51
Gee $83 is a great price for a Redarc, good work.
FollowupID: 429612

Reply By: Mainey (WA) - Saturday, May 20, 2006 at 00:00

Saturday, May 20, 2006 at 00:00
Peter, you have asked for the "best dual battery system or at least a good quality one" so I can only assume you need it to isolate two different batteries, as I don’t believe you would be using a Cranking battery to run your fridge, or using a Deep Cycle battery as a starting battery - would you??

So I suggest you look at all the relevant manufacturer’s web sites for both the cheaper 'mechanical solenoid' systems and also the 'electronic’ isolator type of dual battery systems.

Look for one that actually has a written guarantee that it will 'effectively' work with two different types of batteries and has a warranty that ensures you won't have any charging problems with the Aux battery....

Generally a manufacturer will be offering, in writing, all the information you will require to make a competent decision, if a manufacturer does not state in writing the product will work with different batteries why would you buy it if you have different batteries ??? when other isolator manufacturers will actually guarantee their product will work ‘effectively’ with two different types of batteries….

If you have two identical batteries then any type of budget priced mechanical solenoid will suffice.

If you read any 4x4 forum you will see most guys ask for the ‘cheapest’ product and not as you have done, the “best or good quality”
You have to pay for quality in all products, it’s hard to believe the cheapest products will also have the exact same performance of the more expensive products available.

Like most people many years ago I was sold one of the cheaper products, on it’s website it was not stated as being suitable to be used with two different batteries, and it did not work effectively with my dual battery system, so I replaced it when shown by an Auto Sparky the difference available with an electronic isolator system.

Look at the Piranha and the Rotronics websites, both give a written guarantee their products will work effectively with two different batteries, unlike some of the less expensive mechanical solenoid products.
AnswerID: 173620

Reply By: Derek from Affordable Batteries & Radiators - Saturday, May 20, 2006 at 00:08

Saturday, May 20, 2006 at 00:08
Hi Peter,

Are you just fishing or looking at fitting a new system ?

Redarc and ABR systems are great. What is wrong with your current set up ?

Regards Derek.
AnswerID: 173621

Reply By: Noel W (Qld) - Saturday, May 20, 2006 at 08:26

Saturday, May 20, 2006 at 08:26
Hi Peter

There is a minefield of the "best" products out there so I will only tell you what I have installed.

Redarc solenoid - 120AH Fullriver AGM battery - Euroconverter battery guard (prevents auxiliary battery from discharging too much) - Sinergex 3-stage battery charger to bring battery to fully charged state.

I installed it all myself and it works for me for running an 70 LTR EvaKool fridge and some occasional fluro lighting.

Cheers .......
AnswerID: 173631

Reply By: Member - Peter A (VIC) - Saturday, May 20, 2006 at 09:08

Saturday, May 20, 2006 at 09:08
Thanks to all

Peter a
AnswerID: 173634

Sponsored Links