Brisbane - Mt Dare

Submitted: Wednesday, May 24, 2006 at 08:33
ThreadID: 34196 Views:2681 Replies:5 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
I have spent a bit of time working out a trip plan and have come up with this, I would like some feedback on my schedule. IE have i allowed to much time in some places and not enough in others. The trip is planed to take 30 days.

Day1 Brisbane - St George
Day 2 - 3 St George - Thargomindah
Day 4 - 6 Thargomindah - Innamincka
Day 7 - 10 Innamincka - Birdsville via Cordillo Downs
Day 11 - 17 Birdsville - Mt Dare Most likely the French Line accross Simpson
Day 18 - 22 Mt Dare - Marrie
Day 23 - 27 Marrie - Birdsville
Day 28 - 30 Birdsville - Brisbane

Some of the things we were considering looking at are
Eulo Mud Springs - Noccundra water hole - Rosehill Averies - Lake Bindegolly NP - Cullyamura Water hole - Dig tree - Stone hedge ? - Janets leap - Hunters gorge - Coonjie Lakes - Cruise on the Cooper? Would like to do a flight if possible over some of the areas.

While there are lots of things in between I'm hoping 30 days will give us time without to much rushing. ( Id rather 6 weeks and slip up to the alice) In fact we rather miss something than rush and risk an accident.

Thanks
Brian

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Footloose - Wednesday, May 24, 2006 at 08:42

Wednesday, May 24, 2006 at 08:42
Brian, looks like a great trip to me. I especially liked your closing comments. If you're rushing in the bush you might as well be stuck in a traffic jam in the city, you'll get the same enjoyment.
Have a great trip :))
AnswerID: 174381

Reply By: Member - Wim (Qld) - Wednesday, May 24, 2006 at 08:47

Wednesday, May 24, 2006 at 08:47
Brian.
Looks like a good trip. Reasonable time period as well.
Alternative way home?
Marree - Merty Merty - Cameron Corner - Sturt NP - Bulloo Downs.
Did this a couple of weeks ago, not a bad run.

regards
Camper setup
July 2012 - Hay River & Binns track
VKS 737 Mobile 0091
Selcall 0091

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 174382

Follow Up By: Ruth from Birdsville Caravan Park - Wednesday, May 24, 2006 at 20:16

Wednesday, May 24, 2006 at 20:16
Hi Wim, I was going to suggest the same home trip - maybe they haven't done the bit from Birdsville - Windorah (hmmm, still think I would go the other way).
FollowupID: 430630

Reply By: GREENDOG - Wednesday, May 24, 2006 at 10:07

Wednesday, May 24, 2006 at 10:07
Brian i would probally do Walkers Crossing on the way back instead of going back to Birdsville then on to Innamicka and Nuccundra water hole on the way home.cheer's GREENDOG
AnswerID: 174397

Reply By: HUGGY (SA) - Wednesday, May 24, 2006 at 13:59

Wednesday, May 24, 2006 at 13:59
G'day Brian,
I have completed the crossing of the Simpson just last week and honestly mate its the best holiday I have EVER had (they say beauty is in the eye of the beholder).
Rather a swag and a camp fire than a 5 star hotel.
A couple of places worth mentioning:
We travelled Oodnadatta track: Mt Dare: Dalhousie (blow up a tube and just float around - fantastic): French line: Waa Line (best track as far as I'm concerned): knolls track: back to the French Line: poepels corner: QA line : Birdsville: Walkers Crossing to Innaminka (great track) with lots of variety: Strzeslecki Track: Quorn: Adelaide
If you need a place to camp along the Oodnadatta track I can highly recommend Coward Springs (about 60k South East of Oodnadatta). At Innaminka we camped on the banks of the Cooper at Policemans (great fishing) and near the tourism boat (Discover the Coopers").
Have a greta time
Huggy
AnswerID: 174446

Follow Up By: Member - Brian H (QLD) - Wednesday, May 24, 2006 at 19:02

Wednesday, May 24, 2006 at 19:02
Hi,

How long did you take to cross the Simpson going that way? Cause it sounds like a good way to go. Coward Springs I assume you mean 60 odd out of Williams Creek.

Where is Policemans? I cannot find it on my map.

As i'm still sorting our plan out I am very open to suggestions.

Thanks
Brian
FollowupID: 430609

Follow Up By: HUGGY (SA) - Thursday, May 25, 2006 at 07:56

Thursday, May 25, 2006 at 07:56
Hi Brian,
Yes Coward Springs is 60km on the Adelaide side of Williams Creek..they provide fire wood and the area has some historical significance re the Old Ghan. Also has a small spring which is 29 degrees and fine for a dip.
Policemans is about 3 km downstrem from Innaminka. There are about 5 similar spots along the Coopers. You need to use your Parks Permit (the Simpson Desert Pass covers this)
We had no trouble re firewood during the whole trip except Mt Dare (must bring your own).
We camped at
Quorn
Coward Springs
Mt Dare
10 km past Purnie Bore
30 km west of the Colston track on the WAA line
(didn't bother going to the lone gum - saved 60km in fuel)
2km past Poepels Corner
Birdsville Hotel ($110 a room) there are two caravan parks in town
Policemans (near Innaminka)
Arkaroola
Home
You will find Policemans easy by asking at the local store
Huggy
FollowupID: 430680

Reply By: Member - Brian H (QLD) - Thursday, May 25, 2006 at 08:49

Thursday, May 25, 2006 at 08:49
Anne,

I was first up going to come in from Windorah to Birdsville but was told Cordillo Downs track was well worth to run. To me it would seem the better way and leave via Walkers Crossing - Innamancka - eulo.

I guess both Cordillo and Walkers has there own nice to see things on this trip I cannot do both so one has gotta be missed.

Any views on this?

Thanks
Brian

AnswerID: 174621

Sponsored Links