Doing the "Block" on the black top

Submitted: Wednesday, May 24, 2006 at 22:47
ThreadID: 34231 Views:1886 Replies:7 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all, my first post after a lot of reading and learning.
I have a 2002 Falcon and a 1983 16 Foot Viscount Grand Tourer Poptop with override brakes which is in good nick(both) and me and the wife are coming to that time when we are able to do a big trip.
We are pretty comfortable in our van for a few weeks we get away and the Falcon tows it real well, so my question is:
How do you reckon we would go on a lap around OZ, we know we dont have any 4WD capability, but we could still see a lot of our country all the same.
Anyone else done the same thing?
How'd you go?
Am I mad?
Do I need medical help?
We dont have any specific time frame, just the fact I dont want to get in too much dept and use what I have.
All the best
Goody
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: The Rambler( W.A.) - Thursday, May 25, 2006 at 00:45

Thursday, May 25, 2006 at 00:45
Goody,
Although I am a very keen outback 4w.d. traveller and have been around Aus. a few times it would be very interesting to see how much the average traveller does on bitumin or good gravel roads.Iwould have to guess that it is probably something like 80% or more, so what I am saying is that you will have an endless amount of places you can visit without risk to your vehicle or van so just go for it and enjoy.
Cheers and safe travel.
AnswerID: 174589

Reply By: Member - MUZBRY VIC) - Thursday, May 25, 2006 at 07:34

Thursday, May 25, 2006 at 07:34
Gday
I did the around Aus trip in a 1950 Holden in 1965 and had no problems ,well ,minor ones only, so you should find it a lot easier now 41 years later. There will be signs and better roads to follow.
Muzbry
Great place to be Mt Blue Rag 27/12/2012

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 174602

Follow Up By: Member - MUZBRY VIC) - Thursday, May 25, 2006 at 07:41

Thursday, May 25, 2006 at 07:41
Gday
I must mention that my brother did the trip a couple of years ago in a Kombi that was sick to start with ,and i dont mean fully sick , i mean the other sick..Also ma and pa did the trip in the seventys in an old gt cortina and caravan..so just go for it Goody
Muzbry
Great place to be Mt Blue Rag 27/12/2012

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 430677

Reply By: Footloose - Thursday, May 25, 2006 at 08:28

Thursday, May 25, 2006 at 08:28
Don't worry too much about it, just go.
Have a great trip :)
AnswerID: 174616

Reply By: Trevor R (QLD) - Thursday, May 25, 2006 at 08:49

Thursday, May 25, 2006 at 08:49
Hi Goodys,

These are your Questions and my answers to them.

"Anyone else done the same thing?" PLENTY OF OTHERS DOING IT ALL THE TIME
"How'd you go?" GENERALLY SLOW AND STEADY WINS THE RACE
"Am I mad?" ONLY IF YOU HAVE THE TIME AND DON"T DO IT
"Do I need medical help?" YES IF YOU DON"T GO AND ENJOY WHAT WOULD BE A FANTASTIC OPPORTUNITY

Plenty of people worry about this and that, but before they actually do what they want to do, they are 6ft under and all their dreams are just that, DREAMS.
Get in to it, you'll never look back.

Cheers Trevor.
AnswerID: 174620

Reply By: armbrup - Thursday, May 25, 2006 at 10:57

Thursday, May 25, 2006 at 10:57
I remember a few years ago coming into Innaminka from the north in a convoy of Range Rovers and Discos from Birdsville, congratulating ourselves on our great feat, only to meet a Falcon EA towing a big van coming in from the south on the Stezlecki.
But if it rains you are stuffed. Of course a 4x4 will probably then get another kilometer or so.
Also same trip drove from Wilcannia to Bourke after 3 inches of rain. the road closed sign was not up, and we didn't know of the rain, and the servo owner didn't mention it. We met him in his 6 wheel Cruiser ute on the way.
Anyway the point is a Mazda 626 joined our convoy on a slipping and sliding trip where 2 cars in the convoy left the road, but the 626 got through just following in our tracks.
Took me 4 hours with a Gerni just to get 80% of the mud off.
Regards Philip A
AnswerID: 174660

Reply By: Warrie - Thursday, May 25, 2006 at 14:13

Thursday, May 25, 2006 at 14:13
Dear Goodys. So what if they call you a tar hugger because after you've been on the dirt for a while you call it the black gold!!!! Leave your van in the park and take the car on some of the supposed 4WD roads. Take it easy and you'll even get into the Bungles and spots in Kakadu like Yurmikmik and Gubara which are only less than 20k's of dirt. Also Umbrawarra Gorge SW of Pine Creek. But avoid outback roads after rain ( easier said than done). Check out the pix in Places of the Wilcannia to Menindee road for the mud mayhem. Also the other spots have pix too. Cheers, Warrie
Warrie

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 174690

Reply By: greydemon - Thursday, May 25, 2006 at 17:34

Thursday, May 25, 2006 at 17:34
As they are fond of saying on 'The Bill' ......

GO,GO, GO !
AnswerID: 174726

Sponsored Links