ningaloo homestead- access road

Submitted: Thursday, May 25, 2006 at 11:19
ThreadID: 34246 Views:4550 Replies:6 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
i have googled and searched but can't find any phone number or info on whether ningaloo h/stead exists, maybe its abandoned.
also, if anyone can tell me the CURRENT condition of ningaloo road, i will be taking my microlight up there soon on a trailer. this setup would not handle dunes/soft sand very well, but i would like to get to an old airstrip near the coast at the end of ningaloo road.
cheers howie
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Doug T (QLD) - Thursday, May 25, 2006 at 11:44

Thursday, May 25, 2006 at 11:44
Try this link

Site Link
gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 174667

Follow Up By: howie - Thursday, May 25, 2006 at 12:28

Thursday, May 25, 2006 at 12:28
i have had this trek for years, does not answer my question.
ningaloo road is marked on maps as 'sometimes closed'.
normally with the gu & camper trailer nothing would be a problem, but although the microlight is not 'fragile' i don't think i would drag it over dunes or severe corrugations.
FollowupID: 430712

Reply By: Wizard1 - Thursday, May 25, 2006 at 14:00

Thursday, May 25, 2006 at 14:00
Travelled the route from Yardie Ck to Coral Bay in 2002. Passed through Ningaloo Station and called in out of courtesy. The place was deserted....maybe everyone had gone to the shops?

So we continued on our way without incident. I would contact CALM and check if there are any restrictions.

From memory the road was right up there with one of the worst I had driven. Very, very bad corrugations. Our max speed was 40 KPH and we had the sh!@ shacken out of us.

AnswerID: 174688

Reply By: blown4by - Thursday, May 25, 2006 at 14:47

Thursday, May 25, 2006 at 14:47
There are two Stations you pass and you are supposed to phone and get permission to travel the road as it goes through both of them, especially if you have a dog with you as some station owners get justifyably sensitive about such matters. Most shoot first and ask questions later if stock is being annoyed. I'll get the numbers for you tonight when I get home and post them here otherwise ring CALM in Exmouth, their number will be on-line at www.whitepages.com.au. Also you need to cross Yardie Creek which is tidal and is SALT water at high tide so you need to be aware of that or be prepared to wait for the tide to recede (up to 6 hours) Also after cyclones etc of which there have been several this year, the Creek bed can become quite soft and boggy so you need to check out the info before you go or you might have to turn around and go back to Coral Bay. There is also an airstrip at Yardie Creek Station which is now de-stocked (by CALM) and only operates as a caravan park. It is still used for joy flights ober the Ningaloo Reef during the tourist season so I suppose a call to them would reveal if they would let you use it. Have fun!
AnswerID: 174695

Follow Up By: howie - Thursday, May 25, 2006 at 19:33

Thursday, May 25, 2006 at 19:33
thanks , i do not dream of going over yardie creek itself with the microlight in tow but only want to drive to the ningaloo station area where there is an airstrip.
i already have permission to fly at yardie creek as well.
the calm office at exmouth suggest that ningaloo road is good, i have the station number now, off calm, and will check with the station.
thanks howie
FollowupID: 430785

Follow Up By: blown4by - Thursday, May 25, 2006 at 22:24

Thursday, May 25, 2006 at 22:24
The name of the other Station is Cardabia if you want to drive right through.
FollowupID: 430837

Reply By: Spango - Thursday, May 25, 2006 at 16:01

Thursday, May 25, 2006 at 16:01
Howie this is the number for Ningaloo Station 08 9942 5936.

Cheers
Spango
AnswerID: 174709

Reply By: prado4x4 - Friday, May 26, 2006 at 10:46

Friday, May 26, 2006 at 10:46
The access road from the bitumen into Ningaloo station was definitely open about 3 weeks ago when I went past. One of the worst pieces of corrugated road I have ever seen. The 4WD track from Yardie Creek, past the homestead to Coral bay was a lot smoother (although obviously a lot narrower too).

There was a couple of stock-workers at the homestead when we went past to say hi to, but that was about it.

John
AnswerID: 174863

Reply By: froomey - Saturday, May 27, 2006 at 02:54

Saturday, May 27, 2006 at 02:54
howie

the owners of ningaloo is old mrs lefroy , who last time i heard was'nt to well , but the daughter was there looking after her .
when old mr lefroy died , he left written in his will , that ningaloo station will allways be open to the people of australia to come and go as they please, he will be turning over in his grave if he new calm have got there hands on it .
road in from the black top can be interesting and rough, all depends on how much traffic has been on it.
from coral bay up , not a bad track at all, just leave any gates as you find them, once you go past the station , i think it's about 18 klm to the national park gate , that is the last bay of the station , called lefroy bay, normally a few old time campers there , call in and see them, they should tell you where the old air strip is , try and find a man called kevin logan, tell him froomey sent you , may even take you fishing .
any way go through the last gate and that is the old bombing range , might find it there.

regards
froomey
AnswerID: 175035

Sponsored Links