Follow up on working whilst travelling

Submitted: Thursday, May 25, 2006 at 14:43
ThreadID: 34251 Views:2143 Replies:7 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi gang.
Well, in regards to getting work whilst on the road, guess I'm somewhat in the same situation. Let me give you some background, if it's not too boring!
I'm retired from" real "work some time ago ( was a policeman, businessman, and worked in Corporate Intelligence for a while), then decided to drop out and do what I love to do...paint, draw, cartoon etc. Currently doing some art work for a couple of galleries, not really making my fortune! However, I do have a pension coming in ( ex military), and now divorced for the last six years, with kids grown up, with no permanent partner at the moment, have decided to do the travelling thing, and see the country. Hopefully will try and sell some paintings along the way, but not hanging my hat too much on that! I'm still pretty fit, and can do odd jobs if they are available, but I guess, the cold reality is that I will have to spend frugally, and watch my budget. Currently paying rent for a small house, with all the other expenditure that goes with it (gas, elec, water, phone etc). So I figured, if all else fails, my living cost on the road should at least not exceed what I'm already spending to live! At least I own everything, my van, vehicle, equipment, so have no more to aquire in that regard. But I certainly would look for work when it was available, regardless of what it might be, and I think that provided you are willing to have a go at anything, then hopefully some work will eventuate. I am also a musician of sorts ( sing, play guitar..have worked in bands over the years!) and travel with my own sound equipment, so jumping up at outback pubs and giving a song or two would not be out of the question! Yes, I do play country!
But at least I can travel and see the sights I've always wanted to see, and if no work is available, and my paintings don't sell, well, guess I'll just have to stay put wherever for a while, and save for the next leg! (whilst fishing and getting a beach tan, I hope!) I have worked all my life, so now I feel I'm ready to take the risk, and do the nomad bit. Guess I should have had more tucked away than I have, but a divorce and two kids through Uni kinda chopped into it a little!
Not complaining, folks, we all have our cross to bear. But I look forward to the adventure. So if you see a guy in an Akubra sitting somewhere with an easel and paintbrush, accompanied by a small female Jack Russell, it will probably be me! Come over and share a beer...hell, you may even buy a painting!
Regards
Bronco
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Max - Sydney - Thursday, May 25, 2006 at 15:28

Thursday, May 25, 2006 at 15:28
Ray - suggest you head for WA - there are jobs everywhere. In the vineyards & wineries around Margaret River, in the mining towns, on construction and building sites. The state is booming and a warm body is about all you need.

For example, last January I talked in January to a bloke doing the stop / go signs on the highway across the Nullabor. He was earning $90 grand a year to do the stop / go stuff for about 96 hours a week. Full board and feed. Reckoned he had never made that sort of money as a manager for Australia Post etc.

You'd soon build up a kitty on a job like that!

Good luck
Max
AnswerID: 174701

Follow Up By: signman - Thursday, May 25, 2006 at 15:33

Thursday, May 25, 2006 at 15:33
OK.so that equates to about $18/hour ( not taking penalty rates into account)..Not really a big deal.
FollowupID: 430742

Follow Up By: Max - Sydney - Thursday, May 25, 2006 at 18:00

Thursday, May 25, 2006 at 18:00
No huge deal at all - but with nil living expenses its a way to make a quid to finance travels, which is what Ray was looking for.
FollowupID: 430764

Reply By: Footloose - Thursday, May 25, 2006 at 15:32

Thursday, May 25, 2006 at 15:32
My son is over there and has found that to be the case. He rekkons even trades assistants make a small fortune. His last t/a was 20 and blonde and worked like a trooper....swore like one too he rekkons :)
So I'd swing round that way first...good luck
AnswerID: 174702

Reply By: Mike Harding - Thursday, May 25, 2006 at 15:57

Thursday, May 25, 2006 at 15:57
Good move Bronco - live life to the full say I and do the things you want to do rather than one day finding yourself too old and wishing you had - enjoy, I wish you well and I'll probably be half a hop behind you :)

Mike Harding
AnswerID: 174707

Reply By: Michael B - Thursday, May 25, 2006 at 16:04

Thursday, May 25, 2006 at 16:04
Ray,

Whatever you do just enjoy it, and the very best of......everything.

Who knows, you could end up as the sequel to Jack Absolom..lol

Best wishes

Michael B (SA)
AnswerID: 174711

Reply By: ellen m - Thursday, May 25, 2006 at 20:57

Thursday, May 25, 2006 at 20:57
hi ray

have you looked into being a guest artist at any of the art co-ops at the aboriginal communities. Not sure how it all works, but i know that some of the cape york communities have had visiting artists do workshops in the past. i guess that the same would apply to other remote areas like WA and NT. Not sure what they pay, but hey what a great experience to be able to teach and learn from others that share your interests....hell if we come across you somewhere along the track maybe we can swap ideas.

good luck

Ellem
AnswerID: 174763

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Friday, May 26, 2006 at 01:08

Friday, May 26, 2006 at 01:08
Ray,

Sounds like you have a pretty balanced outlook on life.

There's only one commitment for you left.
GET OUT THERE AND DO IT!

I admire people who are prepared to take a risk in the search for fulfilment in life and it sounds to me that you have made a great choice.

Have a great advnture mate.
Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 174807

Reply By: Ole Grizzly - Friday, May 26, 2006 at 10:03

Friday, May 26, 2006 at 10:03
Jeepers Ray !!! I was thinking about how people seem to read the Bible a whole lot more as they get older, then it dawned on me...... they're cramming for their final exam....
So I guess the idea is to keep your away from 6' holes....Best of Good Times to you and your dog...
Cheers
AnswerID: 174848

Sponsored Links