Suggan Buggan

Submitted: Monday, May 29, 2006 at 16:23
ThreadID: 34376 Views:4028 Replies:4 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
I am looking at travelling up from Melbourne to Sydney through Suggan Buggan on the Vic / NSW border and was wondering about road conditions this time of year.

I'd appreciate it if anyone could forward any information.

Thanks

Ian
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Darian (SA) - Monday, May 29, 2006 at 17:15

Monday, May 29, 2006 at 17:15
Just came down that road a few weeks back from Jindabyne to Buchan. Surface was high quality graded gravel at that time. BUT....... you'd better make sure you are happy with very narrow, very winding unguarded mountain roads - strangely, in many places there is no room at all to pass oncomings - someone has to back up to a wider spot to achieve this - this in company with the unguarded roadsides and near-on sheer drop offs found us squirming more than a bit. Caravans are posted both ends as a bad idea - our camper is short enough, but it seems any trailer would be a lability, re backing-up. Not for the local "brumby runners" though - they were scooting through the region with horse floats - at one stage I drove into a creek to let them by (thankfully we weren't in the mountainous section). BTW - the NP staff at Omeo told us that there had been quite a few head on prangs on that road in April (we saw the remnants of one) - caused by d**khead drivers of course - assuming that nobody was coming round the bend !......... anyway, that's how we saw it.......
AnswerID: 175417

Reply By: Bobdate - Monday, May 29, 2006 at 17:19

Monday, May 29, 2006 at 17:19
Ian:
The road from Buchan to Jindabyne is "an all weather road". I say this, knowing that at this time of the year, snow can fall and close it off. The road is good gravel but you must watch out on the NSW side because there are a few very sharp corners down near the river which could bring you undone because they are at the end of long 80 km/hr straight sections and are not signed. The area around Suggan Buggan is really a 60 km/hr road or less. It is superb.

At this time of the year, it is fairly lonely, so I suggest that you notify someone of your itinerary in case you slip up. It would probably be 24 hrs before anyone else comes along if you stop.

There is a store at Seldom Seen Creek, which I believe has reopened after teh fires a few years back. After that, there is nothing until you hit Jindabyne.

Another nice detour is to go via McKillops Bridge (camping there) and on to Bonang. Both ways are very scenic. Travel time from Melb to Cooma should be about 8 hrs, assuming normal traffic. It is 1 hr shorter and 25 km longer to go via Cann River, butnowhere near as interesting.

Take your time and enjoy the trip.
AnswerID: 175420

Reply By: GaryInOz (Vic) - Monday, May 29, 2006 at 17:36

Monday, May 29, 2006 at 17:36
Going from experience, don't do the road south of Willis (NSW Vic border) at night. They get absolute pea soup fog through there and it can be quite hazardous with a sheer drop of several hundred feet on the West side and a continuous rock wall on the East side of the rather narrow winding road.

30-40 km/h for three hours for the last 100 km to Willis Northbound, and that was pushing it. Wasn't till the drive home that my mate and I were saying OMFG!!!
AnswerID: 175424

Reply By: Peter 2 - Monday, May 29, 2006 at 18:12

Monday, May 29, 2006 at 18:12
It can also be very slippery in the dry as well as when wet, know of two people that have come to grief and slid off, fortunately into the hill not over the edge. That being said it is a very scenic drive, just take it very easy.
Peter
1996 Oka Motorhome

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 175443

Follow Up By: Member - Ian M (NSW) - Tuesday, May 30, 2006 at 08:54

Tuesday, May 30, 2006 at 08:54
Thanks for the feedback - sounds like a great trip if taken slowly.

Reagrds

Ian
FollowupID: 431626

Follow Up By: Redback - Tuesday, May 30, 2006 at 09:27

Tuesday, May 30, 2006 at 09:27
Yep aspecially the red dirt section coming down to Suggan Buggan.

A great drive though

Baz.
FollowupID: 431629

Follow Up By: Member - Duncs - Tuesday, May 30, 2006 at 14:59

Tuesday, May 30, 2006 at 14:59
You are right.

It is avery nice trip but not if you are in a hurry.
FollowupID: 431711

Sponsored Links

Popular Products (13)