listing of ports on laptop

Submitted: Tuesday, May 30, 2006 at 18:55
ThreadID: 34426 Views:1811 Replies:8 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
evening all
where do i go to check what ports are doing on my laptop what after a phone call to magellan tonight i have reserected my magellan 310 but when hooked to the laptop it tells me"error opening com port " should i reload the usb to serial software again and see if this brings it back

steve

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Footloose - Tuesday, May 30, 2006 at 19:09

Tuesday, May 30, 2006 at 19:09
What software are you using that can't find the port ? Some software enables you to change the port it is looking for. Try and change from say port1 to port2.
The place you can check to see what ports you have depends on your operating system. For example on XP you go to Control Panel. System, hardware,Device Manager.
Good luck
AnswerID: 175694

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Tuesday, May 30, 2006 at 19:19

Tuesday, May 30, 2006 at 19:19
Steve,

Good luck mate!

What brand of Laptop?
What brand of USB to Serial adapter?

I have given up trying to get consistency out of my Dell Laptop and Targus USB to Serial adapter.

As far as the ports on your computer, you should be able to check your computer settings thus:-
(assuming you are running Windows 98/XP)

Start > Control Panel > System > Hardware > Device Manager > Ports > Communications Port to see what assignment the Comms Port has been given (Com 1, 2, 3, 4, etc.)

On a PC with a serial port, the Comm port is usually assigned as Com1.
On a PC with a USB/Serial adapter, the software may assin the Comm port as Com4. (This is the case with the Targus adapter)

Now, if the Magellan 310 has an auto detect feature, like my Magellan Meridian does) it shouldn't matter what port assignment the Laptop's Comm port has been given. If however, you are using something like Franson GPSGate to allow multiple applications to share the Comm port at the same time, you will need to manually configure the Port number into the application.

Hope the above makes sense and I haven't confused you even more Steve.

Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 175698

Reply By: Member - Doug T (QLD) - Tuesday, May 30, 2006 at 20:08

Tuesday, May 30, 2006 at 20:08
If your using XP then it should find the hardware by itself, connect your GPS turn it on then perform a restart on the computer and see if that works , if it don't ...?? have you got a hammer in your shed , they work wonders
gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 175714

Reply By: Old Scalyback & denny - Tuesday, May 30, 2006 at 20:44

Tuesday, May 30, 2006 at 20:44
goodday all
traced the ports thing thru device manager serial port not showing so i dug up the cd unloaded the existing progeram and reloaded i can see the program where you remove programs (its in the list ) the computor makes a ding dong noise when i remove the lead from the laptop to gps (toshiba) but still cant see thhe program at the port point so obviosly they see one another they just dont want to talk i think i will ring oziexplorer tomorrow they supplied the lead and the software ahhh well if its not 1 damn thing its another
only good point i have a new ELECTRONIC STREET DIRECTORY because the 310 was playing up so now i have 2

steve
AnswerID: 175728

Follow Up By: Sand Man (SA) - Tuesday, May 30, 2006 at 21:07

Tuesday, May 30, 2006 at 21:07
Another thing for you to try Steve,

From memory the Targus software that came with the adapter, had to be loaded first, so that the appropriate drivers were available when the adapter cable and GPS were connected.

You should see a "new hardware found" message when Windows detects the adapter. That's the theory anyway, but like I said, I could not get any consistency with my bloody equipment.
Worked beaut when I tested it before I went away, but when I wanted to use it to create a Treknote for the Breakaways/Painted Desert combination, it spat the dummy and I had multiple applications flashing all over the screen.

I've solved my problem by returning to the trusy old Thinkpad with a real serial port on it, for the time being. Bloody new fangled contraptions. (and I'm in the IT game full time)
Bill

FollowupID: 431789

Follow Up By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Wednesday, May 31, 2006 at 11:49

Wednesday, May 31, 2006 at 11:49
Sandman,

The problem you describe sounds like the common "Windows thinks your GPS is really a mouse" problem.

To get around it, you need to boot up the computer before you turn on anything else.
Usual sequence is
#1 Boot up computer
#2 Plug in USB adaptor
#3 Turn on GPS

See how that goes
FollowupID: 431919

Follow Up By: Sand Man (SA) - Wednesday, May 31, 2006 at 22:30

Wednesday, May 31, 2006 at 22:30
Yea!,

That's the way I went about it. No bloody good mate!

Will check the Targus web site for any updated driver that may fix the problem, otherwise I'll end up chucking it and buying a different brand. (adaptor that is)

Bill

FollowupID: 432078

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Tuesday, May 30, 2006 at 21:27

Tuesday, May 30, 2006 at 21:27
Me again!

I have just researched and arrived at the ultimate solution.

A Serial I/O PC Card. Connects into a PC card slot in the laptop and provides a high speed Serial Port.

Just one little problem to overcome, they are $268.00 each. Bugga.

One of the problems with USB connected devices, (including serial adaptors) is that at times the PC's Operating System "loses" the interface.
Sometimes the PC needs to be booted with the USB device plugged in and at other times we have needed to boot the PC before connecting the USB device.

All mystifying mumbo jumbo, but it helps keep some of us humans employed in the Industry.
Bill

AnswerID: 175740

Reply By: Michael Carey - Wednesday, May 31, 2006 at 07:41

Wednesday, May 31, 2006 at 07:41
Also remember to plug the USB to Serial adapter in the same USB port each time. Windows XP will assign a different COM port number if you plug it in a different USB port. This can get confusing sometimes.....
AnswerID: 175806

Reply By: AdrianLR (VIC) - Wednesday, May 31, 2006 at 08:59

Wednesday, May 31, 2006 at 08:59
Will the Magellan software auto search beyond COM4? The USB adapter may have been assigned COM6 for example. I use one from Jaycar with a 315 and it only seems to work when I use it and NEVER when my wife does (why do we need all of this junk.....etc etc)! Have tried starting the laptop (HP TC4200) with and without the cable and/or gps but results are random.

Not much help to you unfortunately but I can at least empathise.

Adrian
AnswerID: 175830

Reply By: Moser - Wednesday, May 31, 2006 at 11:22

Wednesday, May 31, 2006 at 11:22
IF all else fails Install a comm Checker, Plug in your GPS , Run the Comm checker, you can download a comm checker from Oziexplorer.

Moser
AnswerID: 175867

Sponsored Links