Walking the Simpson West to East-June 2006

Submitted: Wednesday, May 31, 2006 at 01:33
ThreadID: 34448 Views:1975 Replies:4 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
I am up late doing some research and stumbled across the website of Lucas Trihey who is attempting to walk across the Simpson UNAIDED from Old Andado Station to Birdsville via the Geographical Centre of the desert.

He will be pulling a cart behind him made of aluminium, with 26" bicycle wheels.

I was out there in that country 3 weeks ago and it was extremely hard going in the trucks.

That fella is going to have his work cut out for him. But good luck to him for trying to make his dream come true

For more info go to www.escalade.com.au/simp_bg.html
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - John (Vic) - Wednesday, May 31, 2006 at 02:14

Wednesday, May 31, 2006 at 02:14
Gutsy Bloke, Agreed good luck to him.

Uncle Bootie your up late tonight?
VKS737 - Mobile 6352 (Selcall 6352)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 175791

Reply By: Member - Stephen L- Wednesday, May 31, 2006 at 08:09

Wednesday, May 31, 2006 at 08:09
Hi Willem,
We were not far hehind you. We have just returned from Madigan's Camp 1,2 then to Confluence S25 E136, Geosurveys Hill, Confluence S25 E137, The Geo Centre then out on very hard to find Shot Lines, coming out at Thomas No 1 Oil Well. You and I both know first hand just how hard the real desert out there is at the Moment. All I can say is I hope he takes extra food and water, as it will be a very hard stog. He may do it quicker than we did it in the vehicles. Our slowest day was 22 kilometres and average was 33 kilometres. At one Stage it took us 2 hours to travel 6 kilometres.
As they say I wish the person "The Best of British Luck" because he will need it.

Regards

Stephen
Clare
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 175817

Follow Up By: Willem - Wednesday, May 31, 2006 at 15:09

Wednesday, May 31, 2006 at 15:09
Hi Stephen

Yes, plurry rough in places.

It took us 3 full days of driving from the French Line and back to it, a distance of about 170km.

I also headed out to Thomas Oil Well but then it got too rough and I swung due south and found a much easier run. At one stage we were averaging 15kmh!!!!!

I should have my Simpson story on our trek up on my website within the next week or so.

Yes I have been in touch with Lucas Trihey and have sent him some pics of the terrain.

BTW You weren't the one with a broken CV joint coming out the desert? VKS talk.

Cheers

FollowupID: 431954

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L- Wednesday, May 31, 2006 at 19:32

Wednesday, May 31, 2006 at 19:32
Hi Willem
It was on hell of a trip. We had to cut our desert section 2 days short(we were out in the desert for 15 days). From Thomas No 1, We should have heaed northeast, coming out near Kilpatha. A Munga Stake hit up under the front wheel arch and broke my brake line, hey bingo no brakes. A litre of brake fluid does not go far. Was not able to crip the brake line enough. Had that fixed in Birdsville. 61 kms south of Mungeranie and car starts makeing loud noise and vibrating badly. Called up the VKS and told up what to do. Had the front wheel bearing checked and wheel alignment before the trip in Adelaide. The driver side front circlips not put back correctly. Just as well it was on the Birdsville Track and not in the Middle of the desert. What did you think of those mega new live dunes at the Geo Centre? We went cross country from the Geo Centre, back out to the main shot line, only 6kms as the crow flies, but it took 2 hours of hard driving. When we hit the French Line and headed to Birdsville, the biggest joke was every large dune heading to Birdville, someone in front of us was getting bogged on every dune and must have spend hours putting cane grass in their wheel tracks to gain traction. We found after the desert propper that the French Line was like driving on a road of silk, nice and flat and smooth. Someone should have told the vehicle in front of up to drop their tyre pressure and they would have had no problems.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 432028

Follow Up By: Willem - Wednesday, May 31, 2006 at 20:18

Wednesday, May 31, 2006 at 20:18
Hi Stephen

I was running 13psi cold on the Nissan and 10psi on the trailer and never had to back down for the whole trip except for the very last dune on the Rig Road. There was a sandblow of around 6 metres over the track. The second attempt saw me bellied out but then I dropped the tyres down to 9psi and just drove out.

About 70km north of the French Line I lost the rear radius arm nut off the front suspension. But I am a really lucky person and could not believe that I had a nut in my toolbox which fitted!!!

That main shot line 6km to the east of the Geo Cebtre was the only one I found that was driveable. The others were very overgrown.

I am going back next year to have another look for my plaque. It must still be out there somewhere...lol

Cheers
FollowupID: 432045

Reply By: MikeyS - Wednesday, May 31, 2006 at 16:16

Wednesday, May 31, 2006 at 16:16
I remember Lucas Trihey from secondary school (ah.. a few years back now), although he was a year or two ahead of me. I recall that he was a pretty good athlete and while he had a sense of adventure he was no nutcase. My money's on him making the crossing. Good luck, Lucas!
AnswerID: 175920

Reply By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Wednesday, May 31, 2006 at 22:38

Wednesday, May 31, 2006 at 22:38
Walkers can be pretty funny.

Rob Porcaro walked the Madigan line in 2004 - from the reports it sounded like the support vehicles (including a Nissan with a busted CV) had trouble keeping up with him.

When we drove the Madigan line in 2004, my mate decided to stretch the legs and set off at lunchtime to walk ahead. We eventually caught up with him a couple of hours later - he was walking almost as fast as we could drive.

The desert keeps drawing us back - doing the Madigan line again shortly. Geo centre might have to be next after that!
AnswerID: 176036

Sponsored Links