canning stock route

Submitted: Wednesday, May 31, 2006 at 21:00
ThreadID: 34487 Views:2269 Replies:8 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
I've had reports and seen photos of the track north of well 33 and this does not seem to present any major problems for our proposed trek in late August to early Sept. but what I'd like to know is the track south of well 33 harder and if so by what way ...that is are there more or bigger dunes and how do they compare to the Simpson???? Also is there anyone heading that way say leaving Wiluna about Aug. 25-26 and heading to Billaluna. By the way how long would it take to get to Billaluna allowing a couple of rest days and a steady pace in between???
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Willem - Thursday, Jun 01, 2006 at 09:12

Thursday, Jun 01, 2006 at 09:12
All the larger dunes are to the north of Well 33, the highest one being 17 metres above the dune corridor. The track to the south does not present a problem but some of the dunes can become very soft during the heat of the day.

The dunes are smaller that that of the Simpson and, depending on traffic volumes, can be a lot more chopped out.

How long it will take depends on your [priorities what you expect to do out there. The whole trek has been done in under two weeks by some. Others take a month to 6 weeks.

I have a written account of a north/south trek in 1994 on my website www.kempen.id.au. Click on 4x4 in the margin and scroll to bottom of page
AnswerID: 176097

Reply By: Member - Ian S (NT) - Thursday, Jun 01, 2006 at 09:14

Thursday, Jun 01, 2006 at 09:14
hi,

the dunes between Durba Springs and Well 33 are not as high as the the east Simpson but the run up to them is what seems to cause the problem for a lot of folks. Correct tyre pressure as in all desert driving is the key to most peoples success. The iner dunal spaces are defined and distinct compared to the central Simpson on either the French or WAA lines.
I have met people who proudly told us they had completed the CSR in 9 1/2 days as they almost drove us off the track but double that for the whole track is a nice number.
A fantastic trip.
Regards
Ian at Mt Dare
AnswerID: 176099

Reply By: Member - John L G - Thursday, Jun 01, 2006 at 10:59

Thursday, Jun 01, 2006 at 10:59
Most seem to allow 2 weeks which is a do-able and reasonable time but you are still on the move all the time.

I would suggest three weeks to really enjoy which will allow for the odd side track and chill out days on the trail.

As to whether the top is harder than the bottom, I really hjave no opinion, they are just different. The extreme top end is quite overgrown as it is less used than the bottom end and expect plenty of scratches. A lot of the top is gibber/stone which slows you down any way.

The middle of the CSR gives way to dune country and as ex[plained before, it is not so much the height of the dunes as their approaches, or lack there-of.

Honestly if you are going North - South, by the time you hit well 20 down it all beconmes a bit of a doddle.

Going South North, the bottom end, especially the first 6-8 wells can be a bit hard, not because of the difficulty of the driving but mainly because of the bone jarring nature of the stony trail you are on. Once this turns into sand country tho, all is forgotten.

Have fun
AnswerID: 176114

Reply By: Member - Beatit (QLD) - Thursday, Jun 01, 2006 at 11:19

Thursday, Jun 01, 2006 at 11:19
G'day p.am,

Haven't done the CSR but we were in Wiluna around the same time in August last year (maybe a few days earlier) and the guy at the shop (fuel supply) made the comment that he was only staying open another week because the traveller numbers had dropped off. So my question is this, is this too late to do the CSR? I presume that the verious places close up for business during this period and that might cramp your style.

Kind regards
AnswerID: 176116

Reply By: Member - Andy C (WA) - Thursday, Jun 01, 2006 at 21:54

Thursday, Jun 01, 2006 at 21:54
We are heading off from Wiluna 17 Aug and hopefully getting to Halls Creek 30 Aug. We only got to Well 33 last year as 33 onwards was flooded at about the same dates!

Andy
AnswerID: 176226

Follow Up By: Trevor W(Brisbane) - Friday, Jun 02, 2006 at 19:39

Friday, Jun 02, 2006 at 19:39
Hello Andy
I think if I am getting it right that you were on the Canning when we were there last year.Rain prevented you going further North.
We are heading to Perth in a week,flying in and picking up a Britz Camper to travel around Perth for 3 weeks.
Have a god trip and we look forward to hearing how you went
From previous reports it looks like the North end might be a bit greener than what we saw last year.
FollowupID: 432472

Reply By: Member - Jason F (NSW) - Thursday, Jun 01, 2006 at 22:48

Thursday, Jun 01, 2006 at 22:48
We are leaving Sydney on the 24th June heading to the CSR, Simpson. We will be heading south to north for that trip. We have allowed around 14 days for the CSR component but if we need to take it slower we will. We expect to start the trek up the CSR from well 5 on or around the 1st of July.
Anyone else in that area around that time frame ?

P.am you will be starting as we finish our 6 weeks :-(

Regards
Jason
AnswerID: 176240

Follow Up By: hankering - Saturday, Jun 03, 2006 at 22:21

Saturday, Jun 03, 2006 at 22:21
I concur with Trevor we must have just missed the rain. The north dunes are larger but the travel is much better.
FollowupID: 432653

Follow Up By: GAS 304 - Wednesday, Jun 21, 2006 at 23:17

Wednesday, Jun 21, 2006 at 23:17
We will be heading down the CSR on the 10th July. We will be on the Track for aprox 21 days.
FollowupID: 435966

Reply By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Saturday, Jun 03, 2006 at 22:27

Saturday, Jun 03, 2006 at 22:27
Didja hear about the kiwi bloke on holiday in Oz........he asked me if the Canning Stock Route was an annual event!!!!!!!!!! hehehehehe
AnswerID: 176573

Reply By: AJB - Tuesday, Jun 20, 2006 at 21:36

Tuesday, Jun 20, 2006 at 21:36
mmm Billiluna Such memories. Hey I reckon you could do it in 6 days with 2 days rest but those hangers on in the cruiser will slow you down!
AnswerID: 179540

Sponsored Links