Day trip near Dailsford

Submitted: Wednesday, May 31, 2006 at 22:23
ThreadID: 34489 Views:2037 Replies:4 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi guys and gal's spending Q/Birthday weekend in Dailsford and was wondering if anyone knows of any good tracks / things to see in the area. One of the vehicles will be a CRV , so nothing to serious. Looking for more a sight seeing off road tour than a hard core day out.

Any ideas anyone?????
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Scubaroo - Wednesday, May 31, 2006 at 22:45

Wednesday, May 31, 2006 at 22:45
Assuming you mean Daylesford, pick up the Wombat State Forest map that's available - there's plenty of forest trails just west of town (Eganstown) that a softroader can do. The map is mostly accurate, but there's a few tracks/forks on it that aren't marked - last trip out I needed the GPS to work out if I was still on the track I thought I was.

There's also some rutted sections on some tracks (e.g. Blowhole Track) that can cause some grief for vehicles with minimal clearance, but there's plenty to see that a 2WD could do. Plenty of old gold workings in the area to visit too. Beware of open shafts though - there's some near Champagne Track (just south of the Midland Hwy) that are easily 20m straight drops - probably deeper ones in the area.

Just watch the roos and wallabies - there are *heaps* out there, they like to pop out of nowhere onto the road in front of you near dusk, so take it easy in the late afternoons.
AnswerID: 176039

Reply By: AdrianLR (VIC) - Wednesday, May 31, 2006 at 22:47

Wednesday, May 31, 2006 at 22:47
Mt Franklin, about 10km north east is worth a look. Just past the Chocolate Mill. It's an extinct volcano and there are fireplaces, a toilet and campsites in the crater. The route through Blackwood is a more interesting drive to get to Daylesford from the Western Hwy.

Daylesford itself is quaint but the cafes don't seem to like kids - wrong demographic I guess!

Adrian
AnswerID: 176040

Follow Up By: Scubaroo - Thursday, Jun 01, 2006 at 00:21

Thursday, Jun 01, 2006 at 00:21
They don't like smelly campers who have been metal detecting in the bush for 3 days either :)
FollowupID: 432092

Reply By: Willem - Thursday, Jun 01, 2006 at 10:19

Thursday, Jun 01, 2006 at 10:19
Ahhh Daylesford

Now I had a very interesting day there with a FJ55 Cruiser and a 27ft caravan.

Never again....LOL

BTW The Wombat Forest is nearby. Lots of tracks there?
AnswerID: 176105

Reply By: gonebush SA - Thursday, Jun 01, 2006 at 20:47

Thursday, Jun 01, 2006 at 20:47
daylesford use to be totally different to what it is now, my hubbie's a born and bread daylesford boy until i met him and we made the move to SA after trying to put up with the cold for a few years there. yes there are some really lovely spots around there but the town has gone yuppyfied. it was on sbs that it's now the gay and lesbian capital of australia.
wombat forest, blow hole and down to hepurn springs (joins onto daylesford) for some mineral water- don't stop at the first taste as all the different springs taste totally different.
hope you enjoy but DON'T forget plenty of warm clothes.
AnswerID: 176205

Sponsored Links