Old Mornington & Kalumburu

Submitted: Wednesday, Feb 19, 2003 at 18:27
ThreadID: 3452 Views:2937 Replies:6 FollowUps:9
This Thread has been Archived
Planning 6-8 weeks in the Kimberely mid-year and would appreciate comments regarding these places. Have heard conflicting reports on both places...some say great, others say not worth the time and effort getting there. Is Kalumburu worth doing if we're not planning on fishing?

:o) Melissa
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Willem- Wednesday, Feb 19, 2003 at 20:21

Wednesday, Feb 19, 2003 at 20:21
Every time you set a goal to travel somewhere it is a new adventure. No matter how many have been before or who had negative comments, you have to experience it for yourself. Admittedly our vist to Kalumburu was a while ago when there wern't as many travellers in the Kimberley as today but we had a good time. We will have a Kimberley article uploaded to our website by mid-March. Check it out at www.kempen.id.au

Some days you will have idyllic campsites and on others the mozzies will annoy you. We enjoyed north of Kalumburu and our time there. Take time out to visit Big Jumbo airfield or drive out through Carson River Station to King George Falls(I presume you can still get access out to this place). We do not fish at all but still find enjoyment in nature, bush walks,beach combing or just loafing around!
Cheers,W
AnswerID: 13524

Follow Up By: Member - Melissa - Thursday, Feb 20, 2003 at 11:44

Thursday, Feb 20, 2003 at 11:44
Hi Willem,

Thanks for the feedback. Will check out Carson River Station to King George Falls. A neighbour did this about 10 years ago and showed me his home movie on the trip. Looks great! I'll keep an eye out for your article on your web-site.

FollowupID: 7948

Reply By: barry - Wednesday, Feb 19, 2003 at 22:11

Wednesday, Feb 19, 2003 at 22:11
We spent a couple of nights at both Kalumburu and Old Mornington in May/June 2001 and enjoyed both places.
Kalumburu is a great fishing spot but a stay at Honeymoon Bay Camp, meeting the locals, the beaches (definitely not for swimming) and a visit to the museum with Father Anscar made it worth while.
You should call into the Mitchell Falls while in that area.
On arrival at Old Mornington book and hire the canoes and spend a day at Dimond Gorge. (Great for swimming and scenery.) It isn't a long distance from the camp but took us 1 1/2 hours. A drive to Sir John Gorge is also worthwhile. Again a slow trip.
It was a very wet season when we were there - check on the condition of the tracks.
We were advised by friends to go as soon after the wet season as possible to enjoy the volume of water over the falls.
AnswerID: 13539

Follow Up By: Member - Melissa - Thursday, Feb 20, 2003 at 11:41

Thursday, Feb 20, 2003 at 11:41
Thanks Barry,

Mitchell Falls is definitely on the agenda and we'll now include Old Mornington and Kalumburu. What facilities are there at Honeymoon Bay Camp?

FollowupID: 7947

Follow Up By: Barry - Thursday, Feb 20, 2003 at 18:35

Thursday, Feb 20, 2003 at 18:35
Melissa

You will need a permit to stay at Kalumburu which we obtained at the council on arrival. At that time there were only three places for camping. The town site, one other beach site which we did not go to because we were told the water supply was not good at that time and Honeymoon Bay which is about a 1/2 hour out of town. This camp has a unisex toilet block (we think one half must have been blown away)and power only when the generator is running. Some campers are lucky enough to stay in one of the sheds overlooking the bay but don't count on getting one. We found the owner Les French and family very friendly and helpful. Don't get too carried away with the name of the place, it is very basic.

We also enjoyed a drink and meal at Old Mornington. We found that some people were disappointed that the camp is not closer to the gorges but driving to them was part of the experience. You need at least two nights, three would be better. There are adequate showers there.
FollowupID: 7987

Reply By: Coops - Thursday, Feb 20, 2003 at 10:23

Thursday, Feb 20, 2003 at 10:23
Neither were on our shopping list initially last year but turned out to be two of the best spots we visited.
Missed Father Anscar at Kalumburu and still paying for that - will just have to go back again I suppose.
Old Mornington was very unique with a great little outdoors restaurant(licensed too).
Concur with all of the above comments
AnswerID: 13558

Follow Up By: Member - Melissa - Thursday, Feb 20, 2003 at 11:38

Thursday, Feb 20, 2003 at 11:38
Thanks Coops,

I think we'll include them in our itinery now. Be silly to go all that way and miss them.

FollowupID: 7946

Follow Up By: Member - Mal - Thursday, Feb 20, 2003 at 13:57

Thursday, Feb 20, 2003 at 13:57
Melissa orCoops,
Where is Old Mornington?

Mal T.
FollowupID: 7956

Follow Up By: Member - Melissa - Thursday, Feb 20, 2003 at 14:23

Thursday, Feb 20, 2003 at 14:23
Hi Mal,

Old Mornington is located on the Fitzroy River. Haven't got a decent map handy at the moment but from memory, the turn off is about 75km west of Mt Barnett Roadhouse (or 30km east of Bells Gorge t/o). From the turn off, it is about 100km's to the Old Mornington Camp.

Literature says it was a 1 million acre cattle property recently purchased by the Aust. Wildlife Conservancy who are gradually removing the cattle. There is supposed to be about 40 km of river frontage with excellent fishing and Sir John & Dimond Gorges.

FollowupID: 7957

Follow Up By: Coops - Thursday, Feb 20, 2003 at 23:47

Thursday, Feb 20, 2003 at 23:47
Diamond Gorge was fantastic - hired a canoe and spent the whole day in it. Sir John Gorge was a waste of time I thought but others may disagree. Barramundi are caught at Cadgebut and that's a great spot for a picnic lunch if you're not a fisho. 4 days would be great at Old Mornington and the road in is no trouble at all.
Mal, Old Mornington is an Old Bush camp and is about 90km from the Mt House turnoff. Melissa's info is correct but I couldn't tell you if cattle are gone as yet. We made a tactical blunder in setting up our swag on the riverbank. Things got a little interesting about 0200 when a herd of cattle came in and were munching grass all around us. Just one of the unique things that can happen on Gibb River and we laugh regularly about it.

FollowupID: 8009

Reply By: Member - Mal - Thursday, Feb 20, 2003 at 15:40

Thursday, Feb 20, 2003 at 15:40
Thanks Melissa,
I've found "Mornington" which is on Annie Creek which runs into Adcock River which runs into the Fitzroy River. Is that station referred to as OLD Mornington or is there another? If so, where is it from Mornington?
Regards,
Mal T.
AnswerID: 13583

Follow Up By: Member - Melissa - Thursday, Feb 20, 2003 at 16:24

Thursday, Feb 20, 2003 at 16:24
Hi Mal,

Old Mornington reserve camp is situated on Annie Creek so I think this is the one referred to on your map. However, there is also Morningtion Homestead located on the station property (not sure where exactly but not on Annie Creek). The homestead is not open to the public.

FollowupID: 7976

Reply By: Member - Mal - Thursday, Feb 20, 2003 at 17:11

Thursday, Feb 20, 2003 at 17:11
Thanks Melissa,

Mal T.
AnswerID: 13595

Reply By: Coops - Friday, Feb 21, 2003 at 01:22

Friday, Feb 21, 2003 at 01:22
If you'd like to call in to Port Hedland on the way through then get back to me when it's a little closer on allyn@wn.com.au ...............might even be able to sort out a feed of muddies !!!
regards
Coops
AnswerID: 13624

Follow Up By: Member - Melissa - Friday, Feb 21, 2003 at 01:35

Friday, Feb 21, 2003 at 01:35
Hi Coops,

Might just take you up on the offer. Probably go up one way and back the other (ie. coastal and inland). Been years since we had a decent feed of muddies!

FollowupID: 8013

Sponsored Links