Roxby Downs, Purple Downs, August.

Submitted: Monday, Jun 05, 2006 at 05:59
ThreadID: 34620 Views:3566 Replies:5 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Hi there.

I wonder if Woolfie or someone else is out there who can advise me about the country on Purple Downs station in SA.

I've commenced negotiations to get into the prohibited area and it looks like going ahead. (Johny Howard says it's OK with him. He just needs to run it by the defence minister and George Bush.)

The land manager wants a map of my proposed trip. I don't know Purple Downs country at all but understand that there are good photographic opportunities there.

I'm aware that there are not the spectacular gorges and the like, of the Flinders Ranges. I look for a different type of landscape. Dry creekbeds, dead trees, rock formations, stark areas with one notable element.

I'll be traveling on my ATV (four wheel motorbike) with a small trailer and camping several days at a time.

Regards and thanks,
Laurie.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member No 1- Monday, Jun 05, 2006 at 07:54

Monday, Jun 05, 2006 at 07:54
will you need a phone..:)))))
George Bush, John Howard...gee you do know people in high places
AnswerID: 176752

Follow Up By: Bega Photographer - Monday, Jun 05, 2006 at 16:25

Monday, Jun 05, 2006 at 16:25
Yes, Member No 1, I will need a phone. Your phone, if it's available please.

Leaving home 29 July. Back home 21 or 22 August.

Thanks for chiming in. I'll phone when I find my little green book with lots of important phone numbers in it.

I'll particularly need the phone so I can phone John from Andamooka Island. It will make his day.

Regards,
Laurie.
FollowupID: 432878

Follow Up By: Member No 1- Monday, Jun 05, 2006 at 16:51

Monday, Jun 05, 2006 at 16:51
jog my memory when time gets closer
FollowupID: 432890

Reply By: Member - Alan H (SA) - Monday, Jun 05, 2006 at 09:57

Monday, Jun 05, 2006 at 09:57
Gibber plains, especially SW of PD to the range and vegetated sand dunes, swales and large claypans on RD. Extent of sand dunes can be found by observing the red E - W lines from Google Earth. In some areas there are the stony ridges and dry creekbeds as described.
AnswerID: 176767

Follow Up By: Bega Photographer - Monday, Jun 05, 2006 at 17:26

Monday, Jun 05, 2006 at 17:26
Thanks Alan. That's good info.

Sounds like I can afford to just nominate a rout of 50km or 100km and I'll find a range of country.

I've been as far as Roxby Downs homestead. Got a ride with my son, an electrician, who went out to fix the generator. It might be touch and go, getting to the homestead with the car and trailer, so will get droped off at the bitumine.

I wonder how rough the gibber plains are. Nothing could be rougher than on Bosworth station.

With thanks,
Laurie.
FollowupID: 432897

Reply By: Rick (S.A.) - Monday, Jun 05, 2006 at 15:52

Monday, Jun 05, 2006 at 15:52
Try Google Earth - detail may not be as high as for, say, suburban Adelaide - but it might be the best you can get. If you are not sure of the station boundaries, get the Pastoral Lease map of S.A. and relate the Google Earth view & roads to that lease map.

Alternatively, ring the Purple Downs station manager. It may be under the control of BHP Billiton at Olympic Dam mine.

2nd Alternate that may satisfy the land manager - do a proposed traverse off the 1:250,000 topographic maps. They will give an accurate indication of gullies, watercourses, etc.

Have fun.
AnswerID: 176836

Follow Up By: Bega Photographer - Monday, Jun 05, 2006 at 17:51

Monday, Jun 05, 2006 at 17:51
Thanks Rick.

I have all those recources. I'll have to get them going in tandum as you sugest.

Google Earth is a bit slow on dial-up but it's a great flight in the Google helicopter. The resolution isn't too bad out near Lake Torens so I can pick out most of the tracks I've traveled, on my previous trips. I'll have a fly over Roxby Downs and Purple downs.

Thanks,
Laurie.
FollowupID: 432903

Reply By: Member - qld_bushpig - Monday, Jun 05, 2006 at 16:30

Monday, Jun 05, 2006 at 16:30
You won't need a torch. After a while all your fingures will start to glow. Just point and shoot!

Good travelling

Jack
AnswerID: 176851

Reply By: Warrie - Monday, Jun 05, 2006 at 22:08

Monday, Jun 05, 2006 at 22:08
Dear Laurie,last year we travelled along the Oodnadatta Track from Maree to william Ck and then across to Coober Pedy. You can go into Places and find these spots which may have pix which may be helpful.
Alberrie Creek, Lake Eyre south, William Creek road, Oodnadatta track,Wabma Kadarbu Mound springs, Coward springs. Its only an hour and a half north of Roxby Downs til you hit the Oodna Tk, good luck, Warrie
Warrie

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 176938

Follow Up By: Bega Photographer - Tuesday, Jun 06, 2006 at 06:01

Tuesday, Jun 06, 2006 at 06:01
Thanks Warrie, that's great information.

One thing I'm up against is that the bike isn't registerd. Can't get an ATV registered.

I'm traveling in a Commadore wagon with the trailer so need to get to a station homestead on reasonable tack, then unload the bike.

My son, the electrician, has done some work at Stuart Creek station and tells me it's interesting country (what he has seen of it). I hope to get up there some time in the future, but for now, there's plenty to occupy me around Roxby.

I'd also like to get around to the east side of Lake Torrens. Although the road from Andamooka is "heavily" traficed, I think it's private station road. I can carry enough fuel on the bike trailer for that trip. I have a fuel range of about 500 km in good going. Cut that to 250km in sand.

The country is so vast and the time so short. Less than three weeks away from home and 1800km drive in two days to get there. Ahh, when I retire......

Regards,
Laurie.
FollowupID: 432971

Sponsored Links