tyres

Submitted: Monday, Jun 05, 2006 at 20:13
ThreadID: 34653 Views:3189 Replies:8 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
I have a Toyota Hilux Utility Trayback 1995 2.8 Diesel(not sure it that makes a difference) I need to buy a set of tyres and i have the white sunraiser rims.
Q, Are cooper tyers as good as they make out, if so what brand should i get or can anyone recomend a different tyre. I would be doing a fair bit of Paddock work as well as bitumen driving to work, any info would be much appreciated.

Kelpie
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Exploder - Monday, Jun 05, 2006 at 20:51

Monday, Jun 05, 2006 at 20:51
You will get huge variation of opinions about cooper tyres.
From what I gather the ST’s are not the best if you do a lot of rockwork as they have a habit of chipping, the ST-C’s are ment to of resolved this issue.

A few people on hear have the STT’s and have given them a real good thrashing over some very ruff country including Off-track driving and thay have preformed very well from the reports

I have Coopers and think they are a good tyre, Mine are the old style AT’s not the ATR and in the 1 year 6 months I have had them, they’ve done Rock, beach, mud, Paddock (I.E farm), gravel and Hwy driving. I haven’t had a Puncture yet.

They have done 44,000k’s and have been rotated twice in that time, they will reach there quoted 60,000k that they are warranted to do, but will change them before then, and I have abused them as well both on road and off, if I looked after them I would say the could go beyond 60,000k easy.
AnswerID: 176921

Reply By: Member - Troll 81 (QLD) - Tuesday, Jun 06, 2006 at 03:10

Tuesday, Jun 06, 2006 at 03:10
Yes this is a topic that is discussed allot on here. I have never tried Coopers and probably never will. I like the BFG's so I am going to stick to them. Allot of people on here run them and like then and allot of people don't. I think it comes down to what you want
AnswerID: 176953

Reply By: Member - Oldplodder (QLD) - Tuesday, Jun 06, 2006 at 07:59

Tuesday, Jun 06, 2006 at 07:59
I did have a bad run with Coopers, but that was 2 sets ago (120,000k - 4 years ago), so the tyres could have changed since some new paterns have come out now, so I wonder if my negative atttiude is still applicable.
Like others I have found some good alternatives that are cheaper and seem to get the same milage, and are possibly just as durable. Kumho, Simex, GT radial (Savero), Toyo, BFG, Hankook and thier cheaper line Kingstar, Eldorado etc. All have medium to agressive ATs, and MTs available. There are cheaper Chinese/Korean tyres available. I am looking for a set of 235/85 16 ATs at the moment. MTs do not seem viable for me with the bitumen running I do around town.
Seems to be the $230/260 price range. The $190/220 range, and the $150/180 range which are mainly chinese/korean. As you can see, price is a factor for me, one thing that puts me off Coopers, expecially when I can get Eldorados (made in the same factory) for $30.00 less than the Coopers.

I think you need to decide on AT or MT first :-).
AnswerID: 176960

Reply By: Chucky - Tuesday, Jun 06, 2006 at 10:00

Tuesday, Jun 06, 2006 at 10:00
I have cooper st's on my cruiser and the after 16000km trip from Brisbane to townsville via broome, going through the simpson and 4 other deserts without one flat I can't talk high enogh of them.
Out of 12 4by's doing the simpson the three running cooper st's didn't have a problem besides on tyre rolling off the rim due to driver error. And this tyre was just reseated without a problem.
Tyre wear and damage was also alot better than I expected.

All in all I am very happy with the cooper ST.
AnswerID: 176973

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Tuesday, Jun 06, 2006 at 10:39

Tuesday, Jun 06, 2006 at 10:39
Kelpie,

The best tires are the ones I use.

Seriously though, I don't know what width/diameter rim you have on the Lux, but take a close look at the Bridgestone Desert Dueler 604V and see if they are suitable for your vehicle. In fact, ring a Bridgestone dealer and they will tell you if they are suitable.

I know they are available in 7.50R16 and 205R16C. (both 16" rims)
I would fit them to the Jack if I could, but they are a little too narrow for the 7" rims.
I do run them on the Camper Trailer though and at $174 each are hard to match for price and durability, especially for paddock work. They also run great on the bitumen.

I have a friend who is on his second set on a Rodeo and he swears by them.
Actually he swore at the first set, 'cause he only got 70,000 K's out of them:-)
Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 176981

Reply By: Gossy - Tuesday, Jun 06, 2006 at 15:29

Tuesday, Jun 06, 2006 at 15:29
I use to have ST's front and rear. After a long trip involving Birsdsville, Camerons Corner, Flinders etc etc I did get some chipping on the rears due to the extra weight I guess. Front's were fine. I let down the pressure on all 4 for the conditions.
I had the two rear replaced under warranty (great service by the way) and now run two ST-C's on the rear. No chipping so far and very pleased with them. The distance that that ST-C's will last on the bitumen is lower due to the rubber being a softer compound. This is not a concern for me as these are my bush set so sit in the shed when back in town but it could be an issue for you as you have mentioned you will be doing bitumen work also.
The ST-C's are also better in the mud. On one trip I noticed the ST's were blocked up whilst the ST-C's were throwing the mud out.
Bottom line is that I am very pleased with them in regard to toughness etc.
AnswerID: 177039

Reply By: troy - Tuesday, Jun 06, 2006 at 16:03

Tuesday, Jun 06, 2006 at 16:03
Hi,
Have the same 4wd i'm getting simex MT $195 f + b
AnswerID: 177049

Reply By: optimist - Tuesday, Jun 06, 2006 at 23:14

Tuesday, Jun 06, 2006 at 23:14
Local KMart is doing Goodyear Wranglers ( 2 patterns) for $129 each. An all terrain type tread I would call em!Prolly same $$ in other places (KMarts)
AnswerID: 177128

Sponsored Links