Gregory NP - Humbert Track

Submitted: Thursday, Feb 20, 2003 at 12:51
ThreadID: 3467 Views:2646 Replies:4 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Just wondering if anyone knows anything about the Humbert Track, the old packhorse trail connecting Bullita outstation to Humbert River. This is now an alternative southern access route to Gregory NP, ending at the intercept with the Buchanan Highway.

Our proposed route after doing th Gibb River Road is to pop over the border into NT, do Keep River NP then across to Gregory NP, exit via the Humbert Track, then west along the Buchanan Highway to Hall Creek.

We've visited Gregory NP before but at the time the Humbert Track was closed due to recent wet weather. Have heard the track is extremely rough.

Any comments on the Track and the Buchanan Highway appreciated.

:o) Melissa
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: desert - Thursday, Feb 20, 2003 at 20:18

Thursday, Feb 20, 2003 at 20:18
Yes, same deal here Melissa. Was there in May 2001 and the track was still closed. Local info reported it rough but doable if you take your time. There were two deep river crossing, can't remember their names and it was these Fords that close the track when water is high.
AnswerID: 13606

Reply By: Member - Willem- Friday, Feb 21, 2003 at 08:41

Friday, Feb 21, 2003 at 08:41
Hi Melissa,
As far as I can remember the Humbert Track(Stock Route) was just a bush track which you have to take carefully. You drive through a lot of Turpentine scrub which is savage on tyres...so watch out for stakes! It is however not an extreme track and should be dry by the time you pass that way. The Humbert River crossing could be tricky. Just check it out before you drive across. The crossing is by way of an angledrock face and no serious water. There is a photo of this crossing in my Gregory article on my website which should be uploaded now by next week(revised estimates from my website builder). If you travel along the Bullita Stock Route there are some very rough passages but drive-able. If you wish to, you may drive south out of Gregory via the Wickham track through Mt Sanford Station, Dagaragu and Kalkaringi(Wave Hill).There is a good camp site on the Wickham River. The Wickham track was rough and slow the last time I went that way in the mid 90's. It is very scenic, however. There is some bitumen on the Buchanan Highway. Overall the Territory gravel roads are normally well maintained. Cheers,W
AnswerID: 13627

Follow Up By: Member - Melissa - Friday, Feb 21, 2003 at 10:42

Friday, Feb 21, 2003 at 10:42
Thanks Willem,

That's the info I was looking for. We may incorporate the Bullita SR in our itinery since it is a loop track from the main camping area anyway.

I get the impression you feel the Wickham Track is a little more worthwhile than the others??? I certainly wouldn't mind passing through the historic Wave Hill Station.

FollowupID: 8025

Reply By: peck - Friday, Feb 21, 2003 at 15:49

Friday, Feb 21, 2003 at 15:49
Hi Melissa
Went that way Aug 2002. Did both Humbert and Bullita. Both very slow going, allow at least 1 day for each. Bullita track one way from south to north. Sugest you obtain copy of "Visitor's Guide" of Gregory National Park from Northern Territory Parks & Wildlife Commission,very useful publication with map etc. Can recommend camping at "Drovers Rest" (site 6) on Bullita and "Drovers Camp" (site 11) on Humbert ... great fishing spots right at edge of water.
Enjoy
peck
AnswerID: 13658

Follow Up By: Member - Melissa - Friday, Feb 21, 2003 at 16:08

Friday, Feb 21, 2003 at 16:08
Thanks Peck, I'll be sure to get a copy of the visitors guide!

FollowupID: 8053

Reply By: Bob Y. - Friday, Feb 21, 2003 at 21:50

Friday, Feb 21, 2003 at 21:50
Hello Melissa, Was up in that country just over 30 years ago, but never got to Bullita. Know the Keep country well though, and if you can get to a place called Bucket Springs, it would be worth a visit. It's to the north of Police Hole, across the Keep, and is a large spring which flows through a narrow gorge into a more open area. Usual crystal-clear "soda water" that is up in that country, wouild be a great place for a couple of days. We used to have dinner there when we were mustering, so could never spend much time there. Only downer is I'm not sure if Park have a road over that way.

Enjoy your trip, if it feels a bit eerie, it's because I'll be hanging onto the back of your camper, in spirit, at least. Hooroo...
AnswerID: 13705

Follow Up By: Member - Melissa - Friday, Feb 21, 2003 at 23:40

Friday, Feb 21, 2003 at 23:40
Hi Bob,

Thanks for the tip on Bucket Springs. Haven't been able to find it on the map or internet (other than a reference to a Mabo style land claim). I'll have to do a bit more research.

"...if it feels a bit eerie, it's because I'll be hanging onto the back of your camper, in spirit, at least."

We'll leave a beer out for you!

FollowupID: 8115

Sponsored Links