GPS USB connection, also bluetooth

Submitted: Tuesday, Jun 06, 2006 at 19:00
ThreadID: 34680 Views:2523 Replies:10 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
Hi,

Maybe you all know about this sort of thing, but it seems pretty useful to me.

GPS receiver, with USB or IPAQ or PALM connection for $92 from WES Components.They also have a Bluetooth GPS for $139

Sony GPS chip CXD2951 (if that helps)

Seems ideal for moving map applications.

Phil I
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Doug T (QLD) - Tuesday, Jun 06, 2006 at 19:38

Tuesday, Jun 06, 2006 at 19:38
Umm DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY
gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 177086

Follow Up By: Muddy doe (SA) - Tuesday, Jun 06, 2006 at 19:40

Tuesday, Jun 06, 2006 at 19:40
do you have one Doug or seen one?

Just wondering what prompted your comment as I am in the market for one of these devices as an input to moving maps on the laptop. This one might be ok.

Cheers
Muddy
FollowupID: 433091

Follow Up By: Gu_Patrol - Wednesday, Jun 07, 2006 at 22:54

Wednesday, Jun 07, 2006 at 22:54
there is nothing wrong with the USB mouse type GPS, know heaps of people that use them and they don't have any problems , the only thing they can't do is show you a map on the GPS. The new generation GPS is maybe the to go., they claim they work indoors to a degree, don't ask me how. otherwise any cheap GPS wil run moving maps as long as it has a port to connect to your laptop. A usb connection would be the best in the laptops they produce now.
FollowupID: 433382

Reply By: Member - Doug T (QLD) - Tuesday, Jun 06, 2006 at 20:27

Tuesday, Jun 06, 2006 at 20:27
Phil
No mate I don't have one , the comment was because of the price , I just have a firm belief that if you buy something cheap then it more than likely won't last , Now that for me applies to most things I buy,a cheap battery will let you down much earlier than one that costs twice the price, I read about the 1969 GT Cortina and the Hilman Hunter GT and compared them for 4 months , I purchased the Ford , I have been what I call cheated on by cheap chinese crap a few times too and If i see a cheap tool [made in China] i put it back on the shelf and look for a better quality.and the same goes for a GPS , If your going to use it for work or pleasure and rely on it to be acurate and to keep being acurate when your way out in the deserts as Willem just was recently then go get a good Garmin
www.ja-gps.com.au/garmin_quest_1.html like this one. it won't let you down , if your going to play around with it in the back blocks of Sydney then go get the el-cheapo, it will last you a few weeks or months and then you will have to and replace it again , Phil I hope this is of some help to you and at the same time I do understand that not everyone can afford the better quality gear, maybe get the cheap one to learn GPS on and go for a better one next time, good luck mate.

Doug
gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 177090

Follow Up By: Mad Dog (Australia) - Tuesday, Jun 06, 2006 at 21:20

Tuesday, Jun 06, 2006 at 21:20
That stuff isn't cheap though, it's about the going price for good gear.
FollowupID: 433113

Reply By: Phil P - Tuesday, Jun 06, 2006 at 20:27

Tuesday, Jun 06, 2006 at 20:27
I use a USB version for my laptop and it works great with Ozi Explorer. I chose this over the Bluetooth version as I only have to worry about power for the laptop. The USB GPS is powered from the Laptop. The bluetooth version would require power from internally rechargeable batteries, which means another charger/lead anyway.

AnswerID: 177091

Reply By: Alan H (Narangba QLD) - Tuesday, Jun 06, 2006 at 20:38

Tuesday, Jun 06, 2006 at 20:38
I found the WES component site a mess to find the GPS you speak about.!!!

The GPS you speak about are mouse type GPS units to plug into a Laptop or PDA. They are a matchbox size box on electronics with a cable. These work very well to plug into a computer and feed data to moving map software.

These GPS do have a display and nothing is seen unless plugged in.

Currently, I have a similar rig in the form of a PDA bracket which has GPS built into it so that I can run a PDA with moving map.

I also have an old Magellan handheld with a cable to plug into a laptop if necessary to look at a larger display. While mobile I have the moving map on the PDA and I have the route in my handheld which is displaying dist bearing etc to the next waypoint.

I am not sure where you are in the world of GPS but just buying one of those mentioned would NOT give you a whole mapping setup. Be wary of buying the lowest cost item as it may not meet your needs in the future if you get hooked into digital navigation.
AnswerID: 177096

Follow Up By: Muddy doe (SA) - Tuesday, Jun 06, 2006 at 20:49

Tuesday, Jun 06, 2006 at 20:49
This is the sort of product that I am after also. Did you actually find it in the WES site? What a pig of a site!

Yes, it is only a GPS receiver with no display or controls and purely serves to feed input to Ozi explorer on the laptop to provide a real time moving map display. I have all the other gear but am looking for the receiver. I had a Magellen Colour but the AA batteries leaked acid inside it and the unit is FUBAR!

I could probably buy a cheaper handheld unit but then you have the issues of connecting it to the laptop and it would need it's own power supply as well. More bloody cables! I like the idea of the small receiver that just sits up in the corner of the windscreen with just one small cable running to USB port on the laptop.

There are a couple of these things in the ExplorOz shop here and I would love to hear from anyone that has one of these to see how good they are/easy to set up and use ect.

Cheers
Muddy
FollowupID: 433107

Follow Up By: Alan H (Narangba QLD) - Tuesday, Jun 06, 2006 at 21:40

Tuesday, Jun 06, 2006 at 21:40
Muddy

No I couldn't find the actual GPS either. What a site!

I agree with your sentiments. I have an ARKON mount for the PDA which has a built in GPS like the mouse units and also has a power supply so 1 cable gives me power to the PDA and the GPS (it also has an amplifier - sort of - so I can have music from the PDA as well but it is still hard to hear for bad hearing)

I had the old Magellan 315 before the PDA and had a dual data/power cable for it.

In the future, I'd like to set up a either a pc or a laptop with remote display 8-10inch maybe and I would ceratinly use a USB GPS to that setup. I would not buy it from a site like WEB components however I'd go to the shop here or Johhny Appleseed

The USB GPS rigs have a good rep but need to watch you get the latest wizzbang circuitry and not outdated technology sold cheap.
FollowupID: 433120

Follow Up By: phil - Thursday, Jun 08, 2006 at 15:58

Thursday, Jun 08, 2006 at 15:58
Yes, the WES site is horrible. I actually get their catalogue as hard copy which is not so bad.
The part number for the USB version is GPS101, IPAQ GPS 102, PALM GPS 103
The USB version is USB powered so only 1 cable. 200mW.
sensitivity -152dBm in tracking mode, -139dBm general use (whatever that means)

Phil I
FollowupID: 433562

Reply By: Member - Doug T (QLD) - Tuesday, Jun 06, 2006 at 21:34

Tuesday, Jun 06, 2006 at 21:34
Phil
Sorry mate , tell me am i reading your post wrong ,like me seeing one thing and you meaning another, correct me if I'm wrong but your post of ..quote: [GPS receiver, with USB or IPAQ or PALM connection for $92 from WES Components] tell me that your getting a GPS unit with USB port for $92 , and another GPS unit with Bluetooth for a mere $139 , Phil I paid over a $1000 each for my 2 GPS units so what are you getting for $92 ,. You have totally lost me on that one.

Doug
gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 177106

Follow Up By: Muddy doe (SA) - Tuesday, Jun 06, 2006 at 21:39

Tuesday, Jun 06, 2006 at 21:39
Doug,

The ones I mean and I think Phil means are a mouse style GPS Receiver that looks like the ones in this link.

Cheers
Muddy
FollowupID: 433119

Reply By: Member - Doug T (QLD) - Tuesday, Jun 06, 2006 at 21:39

Tuesday, Jun 06, 2006 at 21:39
OK Phil
I just read Muddy doe's last post and know what your looking for now , It's not a GPS as i use . ok got ya
gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 177108

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Wednesday, Jun 07, 2006 at 09:53

Wednesday, Jun 07, 2006 at 09:53
Personally, I believe the CF/PCMCIA Card style GPS is a better option.
The GPS Mouse appears to have an external battery.
The PCMCIA Card is compact, powered by the Laptop and doesn't require any cables, unless you are using an external antenna.

Something like the BC-337 SirF III GPS card as shown in the Shop, either with or without the external (MMCX) antenna.

Shop Item

If I don't resolve my current problem with the serial/usb adapter and also get CONSISTENCY out of it, the Card style GPS is the way I will go as I have already decided OziExplorer is the best viewing solution and a PDA is just too small to view properly.

Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 177171

Reply By: Groove - Wednesday, Jun 07, 2006 at 11:39

Wednesday, Jun 07, 2006 at 11:39
I have a mouse type USB GPS, I got it for $80 off ebay. It has not skiped a beat and gets a lock in fraction the time of my magellan.

I was not happy with the water proofing of it so I dipped it in plastidip (same colour as my car, white) it sits on the roof magnetically and has been there for nearly two years now without any problems at all.

Its great. I use it with OziExplorer and Destinator and it is very accurate.

Cheers
AnswerID: 177194

Follow Up By: Alan H (Narangba QLD) - Wednesday, Jun 07, 2006 at 16:55

Wednesday, Jun 07, 2006 at 16:55
Groove

How do you get the cable inside the cab?

Is ithe cable long enough to be able to keep it up out of the way etc?
FollowupID: 433245

Reply By: Lyds- Wednesday, Jun 07, 2006 at 22:10

Wednesday, Jun 07, 2006 at 22:10
I have a bluetooth unit.

What I like about it :-
- I can pass my ipaq to the kids in the back and let them work out where we are (or not).
- I can leave it in the car permanently (unlike a full blown GPS).
- I have 2 bluetooth ipaqs with different fittings and have either connect to it.

I do have occasional issues with it not being found by the application; usually its a startup sequence issue and nothing that a reboot can't fix :-)

Also, if you don't have it up near the window, the signal is weakened and you end up having more connection issues.

Apparently the ipaq's with the inbuilt GPS do a better job with the signal.
AnswerID: 177315

Reply By: 98Jack - Wednesday, Jun 07, 2006 at 22:53

Wednesday, Jun 07, 2006 at 22:53
I bought a GPS Mouse from Twig Solutions (www.twig.com.au) off ebay last month ($98.00 inc shipping). haven't used it in anger yet, but testing has shown it to be more accurate than the Garmin eTrex I used to borrow from work. It uses the Sony chipset. Is hooked up to my laptop running OziExplorer, and when its eventually installed permenately, it'll be mounted on the Air vent intake panel near the drivers wiper arm, with cable running under bonnet and through firewall gromett.
AnswerID: 177336

Sponsored Links