Anyone else done a "Lucy"?

Submitted: Wednesday, Jun 07, 2006 at 20:08
ThreadID: 34710 Views:2345 Replies:11 FollowUps:27
This Thread has been Archived
On his trip to the Outback Challenge this year it is alleged that our old mate Lucy overlooked switching over from the sub to the main tank and may (or may not) have run out of fuel, coughed to a stop, and amidst a solo berating had to prime the diesel pump to get the Troopy mobile again. I did say alleged.

Well it may or may not contrive that when I had my GU 3.0L rocket happily idling on the lawn, using the Shentai to refit the spare to the back door and gleaming with pride and gadget tumescence I noticed the engine running somewhat roughly and upon investigating found that it was indeed running roughly, some vibration was apparent. Now as I peered under the bonnet, marvelling at the power that this engine outputs it may, or may not, have slowly died, come to a halt, ceased to make noise, or stopped. Being a clever man and owning a 3.0L Patrol I immediately looked to the rear of the vehicle looking for a HUGE puff of white smoke....hmmm nothing.

It appears that I had done a "Lucy", on my front lawn, the Patrol had run out of diesel.

Went with the jerry and filled it up refuelled, primed and started up lovely. Spent the rest of the day wondering if I should mention it.

Interestingly no blood was spilt and all limbs and attachments are intact...so far
Time is an illusion produced by the passage of history

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: ZUKSCOOTERX90(QLD-MEMBER) - Wednesday, Jun 07, 2006 at 20:15

Wednesday, Jun 07, 2006 at 20:15
Bonz, don't worry about it .It could happen to any one of us at any given time.Haha,Nottttttttttttt,cheer's Bob.:)-<
AnswerID: 177284

Reply By: Geoff (Newcastle, NSW) - Wednesday, Jun 07, 2006 at 20:27

Wednesday, Jun 07, 2006 at 20:27
Wellllll Bonz,
When my shiny new 78 Series Troopy was delivered some few months ago part of the deal was two full tanks of diesel, cool that'll happen thought I.
I didn't factor in the salesman I was dealing with leaving in "strange" circumstances on the day of delivery. It was delivered from western Sydney to Newcastle by truck.
Sooo, I set off in the brand new Troopy for a weekend of fun and adventure. I got 500 metre's down the raod and the fire went out. Oh rap with a silent "C" says I.
Then I realised that the Main fuel gauge said 1/4 the Sub Tank said E for Economical.

I think I know what Lucy said,

Geoff.

PS, Yep, I did get the two tanks of diesel on their account. Cost the poor silly buggers more than it would if they'd done the job.

Geoff,
Landcruiser HDJ78,
Grey hair is hereditary, you get it from children. Baldness is caused by watching the Wallabies.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message
Classifieds: Landcruiser 16x8 Rims,

AnswerID: 177289

Follow Up By: djpatrol - Wednesday, Jun 07, 2006 at 21:42

Wednesday, Jun 07, 2006 at 21:42
Salesman Leaving,,

Funny you speak of a salesman leaving,
Geoff the day I took delivery of my Patrol the salesman I brought from was not avail ,I was told he no longer worked there aftre giving me a good deal on a TDI Discovery which was a beauty an getting the sale,As I was on my way to Sydney he rang me an said come back you got a deal.
So I went back gave them the sale (((NOW SORRY)) but all is well now ..BUT I have always wondewred what happened to that man who gave me the best deal i saved money & they made money.ALL must have been happy.((GREED)))

GONE and Forgotton ,.
FollowupID: 433339

Follow Up By: VK3CAT - Thursday, Jun 08, 2006 at 16:20

Thursday, Jun 08, 2006 at 16:20
Geoff, the E on the fuel gauge actually stands for ENOUGH !
Cheers, Tony.
FollowupID: 433571

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Monday, Jun 12, 2006 at 13:03

Monday, Jun 12, 2006 at 13:03
hahahah mine stands for Excitement

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 434250

Reply By: Footloose - Wednesday, Jun 07, 2006 at 21:43

Wednesday, Jun 07, 2006 at 21:43
Years ago my "new" ex army series 2 Landy died. I'd just filled the tank a few K before. So I called the NRMA. Waited a couple of hours and the guy arrived. Any fuel in her ? Yep, just filled the tank. Which one ?
It has more than one ? Yes, turn the tap between the seats. Brmmmmm.
I felt like an idiot for a vewwwy long time :(((((
AnswerID: 177309

Follow Up By: Geoff (Newcastle, NSW) - Wednesday, Jun 07, 2006 at 21:48

Wednesday, Jun 07, 2006 at 21:48
Footy,
The NRMA and Landrover have a deal on that subject, it's designed to make both of them look good!!

Geoff.
Geoff,
Landcruiser HDJ78,
Grey hair is hereditary, you get it from children. Baldness is caused by watching the Wallabies.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 433343

Follow Up By: Footloose - Wednesday, Jun 07, 2006 at 21:57

Wednesday, Jun 07, 2006 at 21:57
Geoff, I'm talking NRMA before they became a part of the popular co orporate culture :)))
FollowupID: 433352

Follow Up By: Geoff (Newcastle, NSW) - Wednesday, Jun 07, 2006 at 22:06

Wednesday, Jun 07, 2006 at 22:06
That'd nearly be one of Lenny Beadell's Landrovers wouldn't it?

Geoff.
Geoff,
Landcruiser HDJ78,

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 433358

Follow Up By: Footloose - Wednesday, Jun 07, 2006 at 22:18

Wednesday, Jun 07, 2006 at 22:18
Sad to say, no. He used series1 L/r's. Mine was a 1965 model. Tough as, rough as. Great except for needing a downhill tail wind to achieve 100k/h. No such thing as fuel economy, just keep filling her up at every chance. (holden motor replaced the original) . And comfort ? It was very comfortable if you were used to riding camels...maybe LOL
I loved my Landie. But it was just unsuited for what I wanted to do; travel instead of playing weekend warrier.
FollowupID: 433364

Follow Up By: Geoff (Newcastle, NSW) - Wednesday, Jun 07, 2006 at 22:26

Wednesday, Jun 07, 2006 at 22:26
Jim,
I know what you mean.
My first exposure to 4wd's was a 1956 Series 1 SWB.
It was born in the day when men where men and seats weren't invented.
All the lack of power you needed along with the missing economy to match!

Those where the days,

Geoff.
Geoff,
Landcruiser HDJ78,

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 433369

Follow Up By: Footloose - Wednesday, Jun 07, 2006 at 22:30

Wednesday, Jun 07, 2006 at 22:30
Geoff, or the days when men were men and women were glad of it ! LOL
FollowupID: 433370

Follow Up By: Geoff (Newcastle, NSW) - Wednesday, Jun 07, 2006 at 23:34

Wednesday, Jun 07, 2006 at 23:34
You know, you're right.
And if you could get a straight answer out of most women they'd agree.

Geoff.
Geoff,
Landcruiser HDJ78,

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 433404

Reply By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Wednesday, Jun 07, 2006 at 22:30

Wednesday, Jun 07, 2006 at 22:30
Okay, seeing as how it seems to be sunday at the confessional..............

When we did the (now famous) photo shoot for Aust 4WD Monthly Magazine (remember me? ...I was on the cover of the December 2004 issue.... hahaha), there was, shall we say, "an incident". Or at least...there may have been.

We'd camped all night on a property in the Flinders; the Patrol was facing up hill all night. The main tank was showing just under a quarter full and the sub was still full.

We started our engines (my mate "Gerk"....former EO member) and I with a view to driving up a somewhat steep track, directly in front of where I'd been parked all night. I'd idled my donk for about 5 to 10 minutes (as usual) and then we set off. I'd gone no further than about 300 meters when the old girl lost power and started to splutter.....Me thinks "WTF, I didn't get into Gerk's 3 litre bomb by mistake, did I?". All the family beat a hasty retreat. I left it in low first with hand brake on and got out, chocking the driver's side wheels (it was prettty steep). Check under bonnet......hmmmm....motor is still there. All is safe, so time to have a little thinky thinky.

Only thing I could guess was that being on a slope all night and with main tank (long range, so it empties real quickly once you get into the last quarter) nearly empty, must be issue.

Get back in, kick in the guts (idles VERY rough) and immediately hit the transfer pump. Left it like that for several minutes and she comma good...pheww.

Moral of story..........never trust Nissan fuel gauge when it's showing below one quarter.
AnswerID: 177327

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Wednesday, Jun 07, 2006 at 22:35

Wednesday, Jun 07, 2006 at 22:35
In my case E stood for embarrassed, Lucy's too I has at a guess

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 433373

Reply By: Mad Dog (Australia) - Wednesday, Jun 07, 2006 at 22:50

Wednesday, Jun 07, 2006 at 22:50
hahahaha, that's funny and I'm surprised no blood was spilt, that's not like at all.

heheh, gotta love a bloke you can laugh at himself. Maybe one day I'll f up too...hahaha

nice story, thanks
AnswerID: 177335

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Wednesday, Jun 07, 2006 at 22:58

Wednesday, Jun 07, 2006 at 22:58
Ray, from what Lucy told me a couple of days ago (he rang me to ask my opinion about which motor he should get when he orders his Patrol..........but shhhhh, he doesn't want anybody to know what he's up to), you are spot on . It IS amazing that no blood was spilt. Lucy reckons Bonz should be handcuffed if he is to be allowed anywhere closer than about 300 meters of ANY tool at all........ and he should be placed into a straight jacket if he's gunna be anywhere near a POWER TOOL. This is for HIS OWN safety as well as that of anybody in the same town at that particular time of day.......... he is an absolute shocker!!!!

But, of course, all this info has come from one (yes, only one) unsubstantiated source...........The perveyor of all things "tojo".........The incarnate God of 4 wheel drives....... The one; the only; LUCY!!!!!!!!!! hahahahaha
FollowupID: 433385

Follow Up By: Mad Dog (Australia) - Wednesday, Jun 07, 2006 at 23:07

Wednesday, Jun 07, 2006 at 23:07
>(he rang me to ask my opinion about which motor he should get when he orders his Patrol

wwhhhaattt are you serious....hahahaha

I'll never forget the smoke coming from Geoff's boots when he relaxed his tired legs too close to the fire one night down the border track. I still chuckle about that one Geoff.
FollowupID: 433391

Follow Up By: Geoff (Newcastle, NSW) - Wednesday, Jun 07, 2006 at 23:17

Wednesday, Jun 07, 2006 at 23:17
"the smoke coming from Geoff's boots when he relaxed his tired legs too close to the fire one night"

Hang on, I've done that!!
Which fire did you sneak up on??

Geoff.
Geoff,
Landcruiser HDJ78,

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 433397

Follow Up By: Mad Dog (Australia) - Wednesday, Jun 07, 2006 at 23:32

Wednesday, Jun 07, 2006 at 23:32
OMG ,buldging eyeballs, another one :)
FollowupID: 433402

Follow Up By: Geoff (Newcastle, NSW) - Wednesday, Jun 07, 2006 at 23:38

Wednesday, Jun 07, 2006 at 23:38
I'm more worried about you and Roachie sneaking around the back of my fires than my boots smoking!!

Geoff.
Geoff,
Landcruiser HDJ78,

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 433405

Follow Up By: Mad Dog (Australia) - Wednesday, Jun 07, 2006 at 23:50

Wednesday, Jun 07, 2006 at 23:50
Don't worry Geoff if we go sneaking up on fires it would be rather late in the evening after a few beers. I'm sure you'll hear the chatter and giggling...Roachie chatting, me giggling.
FollowupID: 433407

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Thursday, Jun 08, 2006 at 10:06

Thursday, Jun 08, 2006 at 10:06
Ray, that trip was one of THE best, didnt realise it at the time but the memories are priceless, and those boots are on my feet right now.

The Lucy is a ball of info isnt he? All I did was put his brand spanking new mash hammer down on the sand in Stephens Creek for a sec and he's bleating about it, yer so we had to go back the next day and retrieve it but hey, whats the problem with that? hahahahah

I now have more tools in my shed than I cn could and NO skin off at all, none, na-da, zilch, zippo hahahahaha

LUCY in a PATROL, it'd only be mine when he was looking for his mash hammer

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 433463

Follow Up By: Mad Dog (Australia) - Thursday, Jun 08, 2006 at 19:55

Thursday, Jun 08, 2006 at 19:55
Yes Geoff it's important to get out with our familes and friends and do stuff. It was an honour to lead yourself and the kids down the track not forgetting Wazza of course.

Lucy is a barrel of laughs but like any barrel kicked down a hill it will come to a sudden halt when it hits something.

Keep smiling.
FollowupID: 433629

Reply By: gottabjoaken - Wednesday, Jun 07, 2006 at 22:58

Wednesday, Jun 07, 2006 at 22:58
Yep, and I've done it too.

Not in the 4x4, but a few years back, I used to manage petrol stations, and was just heading across country (UK) to pay a call on a remote site I managed, when my shift manager called me back into the office.

I left the car parked by the pumps (always did that to encourage customers to pull in) with the engine running and ducked in to the office to sign the wages sheets.

Walked back out to start a 100 mile journey to see the car shudder to a stop. Yup - out of petrol. Parked on the pumps on my own garage.

Did I wear it for that!!! for months!!

Ken

AnswerID: 177337

Reply By: Member - JohnR (Vic)&Moses - Wednesday, Jun 07, 2006 at 23:10

Wednesday, Jun 07, 2006 at 23:10
The farm Suze has a motor no more being a Maruti engined little babe but when it was going it suffered various people fillups with fuel in emergencies. If it smells a little volitile it is petrol was the rule. Had some diesel for satrting fires didn't we, sump oil had been in it earlier. It was good enough to run the Suze until the carbon blocked the carbie. Everyone said "the Suze" is stuffed until it had th ecarbie cleaned out. Some people have no effin idea................
AnswerID: 177339

Reply By: Member - Pesty (SA) - Thursday, Jun 08, 2006 at 00:31

Thursday, Jun 08, 2006 at 00:31
Your a brave man Mr "B" obviously Aunt Lucy hasnt seen this post yet LOL
Have a friend who upon running outa fuel in the family commodore, in her defence when quizzed by the husband " isnt E for enough" !
Been driving for 35 years?

Cheers Pesty
AnswerID: 177356

Reply By: Muzzgit (WA) - Thursday, Jun 08, 2006 at 01:06

Thursday, Jun 08, 2006 at 01:06
One of the guys from work bought a second hand diesel std 80 series and had only owned it a few weeks when he was on his way to feed someones horses and it came to a grinding halt in the middle of the track!!!

He chit himself at the thought that he was gonna be up for big bucks, and couldn't figure out what was wrong.....fuel guage said over half a tank!!!

An hour or two of mucking around with a torch, swearing, panicking, he noticed the switch for the sub tank was on. WTF. sub tank is empty.

He then remembered youngest son has a habit of pullin pushin switching everything he can get his little fingers on.

Switch back to main tank, prime her up and a way she goes. PHEW !!!
AnswerID: 177359

Reply By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Thursday, Jun 08, 2006 at 11:38

Thursday, Jun 08, 2006 at 11:38
Okay.............so where IS Lucy?
AnswerID: 177424

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Thursday, Jun 08, 2006 at 11:41

Thursday, Jun 08, 2006 at 11:41
Obviously immersed deep within that distraction he calls work

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 433477

Follow Up By: Member - Beatit (QLD) - Thursday, Jun 08, 2006 at 11:47

Thursday, Jun 08, 2006 at 11:47
Nothing worse when the object refuses to take the bait!

Kind regards
FollowupID: 433487

Follow Up By: Geoff (Newcastle, NSW) - Thursday, Jun 08, 2006 at 11:58

Thursday, Jun 08, 2006 at 11:58
Would you call it smart fish?

My mate always says, "such big fish with such little bait"

Geoff.
Geoff,
Landcruiser HDJ78,

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 433493

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Thursday, Jun 08, 2006 at 12:02

Thursday, Jun 08, 2006 at 12:02
Be clear, the object was my dopey self not filling the car, the objecxt in question aka Lucy will make representations I am sure

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 433497

Follow Up By: Member - Beatit (QLD) - Thursday, Jun 08, 2006 at 12:07

Thursday, Jun 08, 2006 at 12:07
Very diplomatic of you Bonz! But I suspect that you are just dangling your bleeding leg over the transom to catch a shark. Given the takers on that leg already there may be nothing left for Lucy to munch on.

Kind regards
FollowupID: 433500

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Thursday, Jun 08, 2006 at 12:11

Thursday, Jun 08, 2006 at 12:11
hahahaha He could munch for hours on a memory, a rumour or a sniff of a story, and will rofl I dont think time will dull his response.

Expect to see such terms as Nissan Mafioso, Pinko Mafioso Nissan Driver and phrases such as "Havent you left the country yet?" or "When can we see the end of this"

DiploBonz

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 433501

Follow Up By: Member - 'Lucy' - Saturday, Jun 10, 2006 at 04:45

Saturday, Jun 10, 2006 at 04:45
Right here you pack of 'dills'

Been occupied with that 'work' thing and only just had a look at the diatribe you lot have been heaping on me.

The true facts about the alledged situation happening on the way to the OBC are as follows:

I always wondered what the E really, truly meant on the bottom of the fuel guage re the Aux fuel tank.

Soooooooo! somewhere after Sealake the needle touchs the E and I think "Yeah, I'll switch the sucker over when I get to Ouyen"

I am right into R & D mode on this one.

The kilometers click over and I'm keeping an idle eye on the Needle and the E and sure enough it sits itself right over the E and does not move.

Yep! Ouyen is coming up and I'll switch that mother when I get there.

Next thing this dude in a white tray top something or other pulls out of a paddock in front of me with his hat jammed on his head (You know what I mean), as we are going up a long hill.

B a s t a r d, didn't he see me - had to change down as the EGT starts to rise a bit and I want some 'sting' to pass him.

Which I do with the right foot stuck up the turbo.

Over the hill and cruising down the other side when there is the dreaded jerking sensation coming from under the bonnet. (Chit! what is happening)

Aw! Chit, Chit the fuel - quick hit the swithch.

MISSED it by that much.

Had to stop lift the bonnet, three quick pumps on the primer and away the bitch went.

By this time farmer HAT had driven past without a care in the world.

So, in view of the above, it is clear that I was on an R & D mission, not poncing around my front lawn showing off to the neighbours like some one on this forum.

Oooh! I miss you Pink Mafioso's.

FollowupID: 433902

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Sunday, Jun 11, 2006 at 21:55

Sunday, Jun 11, 2006 at 21:55
Bonz said....."Expect to see such terms as Nissan Mafioso, Pinko Mafioso Nissan Driver and phrases such as "Havent you left the country yet?" or "When can we see the end of this"

I do believe the Mafioso was mentioned hahahaha

and Work Lucy, dont you be worrying about that get the ATECO organised hehehehe cya soon old mate.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 434170

Reply By: gbc - Friday, Jun 09, 2006 at 12:47

Friday, Jun 09, 2006 at 12:47
Same result as original sit rep, just different method.
Back in the late '80s early '90s the company I worked for bought a new F150 - built in Brissy and all.
We ordered LR tanks etc.
Anyway, I picked it up from the dealer, drove it back to work to load it for the trip to Chute Harbour - we were renovating Hayman at the time.
Cruising along in the new truck and all is good - main tank is a little low by Tiaro so the sub tank switch is hit and 3 tonnes of roaring beast becomes very quiet coasting to a stop in the middle of nowhere with no engine. Took me a while but finally worked out that FORD did not fit the tank!!!!
A long evening was had by all - especially some apologetic salesmen.

C.J.

AnswerID: 177649

Sponsored Links