Simpson Desert

Submitted: Friday, Feb 21, 2003 at 14:09
ThreadID: 3478 Views:2351 Replies:5 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Our family (myself, the wife and 3 kids, girls aged 11,9 and 6) are leaving on a 6 - 7 month trip at the start of May 2003. Part of the trip will be crossing the Simpson from West to East. I'm not that keen on towing trailers but due to the length of the trip this time wer'e taking our TRAK-SHAK camper instead of the swags. In some of the articles that I have read it mentions the towing of trailers across the simpson is discouraged, we will be travelling alone but well prepared. The trailer is fitted with coil suspension and 265/75R16 tyres. Any views, good or bad on towing a trailer across the Simpson would be appreciated. Danny.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Rohan - Friday, Feb 21, 2003 at 14:19

Friday, Feb 21, 2003 at 14:19
Danny, there's enough comments in this Forum already to give you the general gist. Unfortunately it seems to be a very strong vote for "don't do it".

Antway, use the search function and enter 01/11/2002 as the start date and "Simpson trailer" as key words. Quotation marks not required.

Good luck.
AnswerID: 13651

Follow Up By: Danny - Friday, Feb 21, 2003 at 15:27

Friday, Feb 21, 2003 at 15:27
Thanks Rohan for your help, I didn't realise that it was such a touchy subject, thanks again, Danny
FollowupID: 8046

Reply By: Member - Mal - Friday, Feb 21, 2003 at 16:28

Friday, Feb 21, 2003 at 16:28
Danny,
It's not so much a touchy subject as much as people don't want you to bugger up a perfectly good holiday by getting stuck in the Simpson, especially with kids.
Try this: Leave your trailer at Kulgera, cross the Simpson to Birdsville, down the Birdsville Track, up the Oodnadatta Track to Marla, pick up your trailer at Kulgera, down to Port Augusta, up through the Flinders to the Strzelecki Track, through Innamincka and Cordello Downs and you are back to where you would have been, but with your trailer, and having seen some of the most facinating countryside in the world. That's what I'm going to do but in the opposite direction, and I've seen all of that before. Have a great trip.

Mal T.
AnswerID: 13668

Follow Up By: Member - Danny - Sunday, Mar 02, 2003 at 09:57

Sunday, Mar 02, 2003 at 09:57
Mal, sorry about the delay with the reply, wev'e taken everyones advice and had a bit of a rethink about that part of the trip. Wer'e going to leave the trailer at Marree, head up to Birdsville, cross the Simpson head down the Oodnadatta back to Marree to pick up the trailer and then go up the Strzelecki Track to Innamincka and then head off on our merry way for the rest of the trip, thanks again for the advice.
FollowupID: 8565

Reply By: alanliddle - Saturday, Feb 22, 2003 at 13:17

Saturday, Feb 22, 2003 at 13:17
Danny,
By co-incidence our family (myself, wife, boys also aged 11, 9 and 6 are also going around AUS for 6 months with trailer. We are travelling across the Simpson W to E, but in late April (tag along with Getaway for Simpson section). We are leaving the trailer in Broken Hill at the Caravan Park and doing a loop across SA and back thru the Simpson then White Cliffs and Broken Hill.
Trip plan - Broken Hill - Wilpena Pound - Chambers Gorge - Farina Ruins - Algebuckina - Eringa - Dalhousie Springs - Simpson Dessert - Birdsville - Innaminka - Cullymurra Waterhole - Tibooburra - White Cliffs - Broken Hill. As you have seen, from the good advice of others, the Simpson is really a no go zone for traillers now - dune destruction and very tough to get the trailler across without assistance. We are using an easy pitch, single pole tent (Southern Cross type 3m X 4m) for this part - about two weeks - and then using the tent for the older boys to make their own for the rest of the trip. We figure the trailler - Kimberley - though big, is not enough for 5 energetic people for our up to 1 week stays at some places.
After Broken Hill we go to Alice Springs via an interesting route, then Kakadu, Kimberleys, WA coast, South WA and Nulabor, Kangaroo Island and Sydney.
If you want to compare notes drop me a line on my email.
Best wishes,
Alan
AnswerID: 13735

Follow Up By: Alanliddle - Saturday, Feb 22, 2003 at 13:25

Saturday, Feb 22, 2003 at 13:25
Danny,
OOPS My email is alanliddle@flashmail.com
Alan
FollowupID: 8140

Reply By: dougie - Wednesday, Feb 26, 2003 at 00:42

Wednesday, Feb 26, 2003 at 00:42
I think there are 1100 sand dunes to cross some like big red etc: are hard enough on there own. you would hate to push the trailer up 1 let alone 1099 sand dunes
AnswerID: 13958

Reply By: Member - Mal - Monday, Mar 03, 2003 at 12:05

Monday, Mar 03, 2003 at 12:05
Danny,
Thanks for the reply. That's a very sound plan. If you and your kids want to enjoy the trip even more read some books about the areas you are travelling through before you go. There are some fasinating books on the Simpson Desert, Ghan Railway Line and there is a book called "The Singing Line" which is about the overland telegraph line from Adelaide to Darwin which followed the gereral line of the Oodnadatta Track. You could make it a project for the kids school work which I presume they will be doing. Thank heavens there are people like you with the guts to take their kids out of school and give them a real education.
Have a great trip. Regards,
Mal T.
AnswerID: 14344

Sponsored Links