80 series cruiser & replacement radio

Submitted: Monday, Jun 12, 2006 at 18:28
ThreadID: 34861 Views:1968 Replies:3 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
We have decided to bite the bullett and replace our OEM radio with something with a CD player in it before our next trip in August. There are obviously lots of aftermarket radios available but not much info re there perfomance. That is if you don't take to much notice of the sales guys in the shops.
I understand that we will be probably fitting a thinner (in height) unit than that which we presently have and that we can buy a plastic pocket thingy to fit in the space above the present unit.
We don't mind putting up with the incredible tedium of not having a six stacker but really don't want to end up with a radio which has even less performance than the present unit. So,....a CD player and radio with a very good radio reception and signal gain in remote areas...any recommendations? And...anything to be careful of with the installers?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Karl - Monday, Jun 12, 2006 at 19:05

Monday, Jun 12, 2006 at 19:05
Bidgee - I replaced mine with an Alpine brand CD player - a very good brand and placed my UHF CB radio in the slot underneath - all fits nice and neat.

Just make sure with the CD player - regardless of brand that you get a good one with the anti vibration/skip so that it doesn't skip when four wheel driving. Also get one that plays CD-R/RWs so that you can play copied discs.

Also when they install your radio have them put in an extension lead that goes from the radio to behind the glove box so that if you ever have to replace the aerial it is simply a matter of removing the glove box and not the whole dash. See my replay in the next post to Tony J.

Hope this helps.

Kaarl
AnswerID: 178117

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Tuesday, Jun 13, 2006 at 02:28

Tuesday, Jun 13, 2006 at 02:28
CD???

If your current Radio is good enough, why not just buy an Ipod (or MP3 player) and play through the car radio via an FM transmitter.

For instance, you can buy an iPod Shuffle for $99 and not only will this store heaps of songs, but it will be much more robust and flexible than a CD player. And, you don't have a bunch of CD's that you need to store in the vehicle.
Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 178189

Follow Up By: Member - Phil/S WA.. - Tuesday, Jun 13, 2006 at 10:30

Tuesday, Jun 13, 2006 at 10:30
Sandman,I did that a while back ,but found that the sound quality was too 'erratic' so have just bought ,[$159] a cd/tuner that has the direct connection to the mp3/ipod. Great sound & no quality loss. I got it from ''wow '' on the sunshine coast befor I came over here, works for me ! cya.
FollowupID: 434384

Reply By: Bidgee1 - Tuesday, Jun 13, 2006 at 19:10

Tuesday, Jun 13, 2006 at 19:10
Thank you gentlemen, I think that I will run with the new unit and have started looking for a better quality radio CD combo unit. That was a great idea about running the spare cable to the rear of the glove box space for when we need to replace the aerial.I think that I have sourced a frame to carry my UHF radio in the spot above the radio as well.
Regards
Steve Lovett
AnswerID: 178311

Sponsored Links