hot bread in the dutch oven.....

Submitted: Tuesday, Jun 13, 2006 at 19:04
ThreadID: 34904 Views:2623 Replies:4 FollowUps:15
This Thread has been Archived
Thanks to everyone (especially JoGo..) for your advise on cooking fresh bread in the dutch oven. We tried it over the long weekend and although the first one was just so so the second one was magnificent. We will keep going until we perfect the process. I know bread is cheap enough to buy but hot bread with a meal from a dutch oven (any meal) is somthing else and what else do you do around the campfire. (besides drinking)
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: johannagoanna - Tuesday, Jun 13, 2006 at 19:21

Tuesday, Jun 13, 2006 at 19:21
LOL - I am glad that it worked well for you! Just out of interest, what did you do differently the second time, for it to be 'magnificent'?

It has actually taken me about 5 years to perfect my baking in the campover. Now I can even cook biscuits in it - now that is another thread all together!!

Jo
AnswerID: 178317

Follow Up By: spudnik - Wednesday, Jun 14, 2006 at 17:57

Wednesday, Jun 14, 2006 at 17:57
please could you past on the receipe
thank you
FollowupID: 434687

Follow Up By: champagne - Thursday, Jun 15, 2006 at 13:50

Thursday, Jun 15, 2006 at 13:50
Jo, I too would appreciate your recipe. Wer are heading off next Friday for a trip along the Connie Sue and over to Broome. Thought I wouldn't get too many bread places along the way. Many thanks,
champagne
Couldn't ask for any better!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 434827

Follow Up By: johannagoanna - Thursday, Jun 15, 2006 at 15:53

Thursday, Jun 15, 2006 at 15:53
LOL - it is not a receipe, just more a how to!

I do two different things, depending on the length of the trip.

1. Using the purchased bread mix from the supermarket (or a receipe from the breakmakers handbook), I make it in my bread maker, using the dough only setting - this stops the cycle after the first rising. I then remove the dough, and divide it into portions and freeze. When we go camping for a few nights, I just take one or two out, and put them in the fridge. In the evening before going to bed, I take on out of the fridge, to allow it to defrost, and then in the morning, but it near the fire, or in the sun, to rise. Knock it down gently after about an hour of rising, and put in the camp oven. I usually use one of those disposeable tray you get from the supermarket, and put that on a trivet in the camp oven. Coals on top, and underneath, and should be cooking nicely in about an hour. Also helps if you get the camp oven hot over the fire first, before you start cooking - sort of like preheating a conventional oven. Do be warned however that if your fridge is not cold enough, the dough will start to rise, and bust out of the bag, usually going all over the beer or worse the wine!!!

2. The other method I use when we are away for extended periods. Take one of the 4kg bread mixes (premeasure and bag portions before leaving home) available from the supermarket and follow the mixing directions, and then the cooking directions from above.

Damper - prepurchased scone mix from the supermarket is fantastic! If you want to DIY - SR Flour, milk (can use beer even) and sugar, mixed gently to a nice consisteny and cooking in the same way, but for only about half an hour or so!
Another handy hint is that you can cook your eggs and bacon in a pan on top of the coals on the camp oven, fresh bread, eggs and bacon for breakfast!

Hope this helps - Jo

Hope this helps! - Jo

FollowupID: 434849

Follow Up By: champagne - Friday, Jun 16, 2006 at 16:03

Friday, Jun 16, 2006 at 16:03
Thanks Jo, I'll give the scone mix a go as we are stacked to the rafters in the car, and I can't imagine suggesting that taking the bread maker would be a good idea. He's a bit grumblebum at the moment with packing it all.
Again, thanks,
Jan
Couldn't ask for any better!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 435081

Follow Up By: johannagoanna - Friday, Jun 16, 2006 at 16:06

Friday, Jun 16, 2006 at 16:06
Oh dear Jan, I wasn't suggesting you take the breadmaker, just the packet mix from the supermarket, it has instructions for making it by hand and the bread machine! LOL. This isn't the Jan I know, with a terracan is it?

Happy to help - Jo
FollowupID: 435083

Follow Up By: johannagoanna - Friday, Jun 16, 2006 at 16:07

Friday, Jun 16, 2006 at 16:07
Sorry, I realised that you are not the Jan I know, they are heading to the cape, not west!!! LOL - meet so many people 4wding, I can't remember them all!

jo
FollowupID: 435085

Reply By: SPIKE - Tuesday, Jun 13, 2006 at 21:16

Tuesday, Jun 13, 2006 at 21:16
Jo

First loaf was a hit and miss affair not having anything to judge it by. The second time round we paid more attention to the proving time altered the quantity a bit watched the coals more closely and drank a bit less red. The crust was spot on..it was still hot and lighter in weight and texture...maybe we were lucky. Sure to do it again on the next trip.
AnswerID: 178343

Follow Up By: Sand Man (SA) - Wednesday, Jun 14, 2006 at 03:12

Wednesday, Jun 14, 2006 at 03:12
Spike,

Good to hear you have become an expert Baker.

The type of bread dough you use has a fair impact on the result too.

At home, we tend to buy and eat Wholemeal bread. But having tried this mix in the Camp Oven, I find it rather heavy and much prefer the "Crusty White Bread" mix when camping.

This type of behaviour, when performed in no particular hurry, with no particular deadline, just adds to the pleasure of camping, Aye!
Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 434551

Follow Up By: madcow - Wednesday, Jun 14, 2006 at 07:16

Wednesday, Jun 14, 2006 at 07:16
Try putting in some crushed garlic when you mix it and it is bloody sensational! Dollop of butter in hot bread with garlic in it brings the neighbours over when being baked. Also sprinkle some grated cheese on top when baking!!

Cheers
FollowupID: 434557

Follow Up By: cokeaddict - Wednesday, Jun 14, 2006 at 17:33

Wednesday, Jun 14, 2006 at 17:33
Madcow,
Damn food talk is making me hungry.
Ok now for a tuch of "Italian".....
Add to your suggestion about the garlic.....as you slice the bread up ready to munch it down, run a bit of Exrta Virgin Oil in it too, let it find its way in and then try it (not too much) just a tad, your mouth will water and with the restrictions we have at the moment, every drop helps.
Ange
FollowupID: 434682

Follow Up By: madcow - Thursday, Jun 15, 2006 at 07:38

Thursday, Jun 15, 2006 at 07:38
yep it's great. My trade is a Baker before the odd hours shoulders caught up with me and now I only do it when camping or on the odd occasion at home. Another tip try baking it in the BBQ with a hood and it is like it was made from the mother country.

Dave
FollowupID: 434767

Reply By: Trekkie (Member - WA) - Tuesday, Jun 13, 2006 at 23:18

Tuesday, Jun 13, 2006 at 23:18
Hi, recently spent a week in the bush East of Kalgoorlie. Took the Breville Bread Maker (Only 850watts) fired up the Gen Set for 3 hours to charge Batteries etc late in the morning when every one went for a walk - put in the flour, water and yeast. Came back 3 hours later and hey presto one loaf of PERFECT bread. How easy!
AnswerID: 178362

Follow Up By: Member - Rotord - Wednesday, Jun 14, 2006 at 11:56

Wednesday, Jun 14, 2006 at 11:56
What size generator ?
FollowupID: 434613

Follow Up By: Trekkie (Member - WA) - Thursday, Jun 15, 2006 at 01:32

Thursday, Jun 15, 2006 at 01:32
Not sure, it was not my gen set - A Honda - I think 1200!
FollowupID: 434754

Follow Up By: froomey - Saturday, Jun 17, 2006 at 00:03

Saturday, Jun 17, 2006 at 00:03
trecker

we got a honda eu10 , runs a bread maker no worries

froomey
FollowupID: 435193

Reply By: Rod W - Wednesday, Jun 14, 2006 at 09:46

Wednesday, Jun 14, 2006 at 09:46
A dutch oven must be more powerful than I previously thought cause to me a dutch oven is when you drop one in bed and pull the covers up over you wife's head to get full advantage... so how do you manage to cook bread in that short amount of time? Better tell the missus she'll be wrapped.
AnswerID: 178390

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Wednesday, Jun 14, 2006 at 16:25

Wednesday, Jun 14, 2006 at 16:25
yer me too, of course if you dont bake something, then she'll do her bacon and you'll be left with egg on your face
Time is an illusion produced by the passage of history

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 434663

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Wednesday, Jun 28, 2006 at 21:30

Wednesday, Jun 28, 2006 at 21:30
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
RAISIN BREAD

A bakery owner hires a young female clerk who likes to wear very short skirts and G string panties.
One day a young man enters the store, glances at the clerk and glances at the loaves of bread behind the counter.
Noticing the length of her skirt (or lack thereof) and the location of the raisin bread, he has a brilliant idea.

"I'd like some raisin bread please," the man says politely.

The female clerk nods and climbs up a ladder to reach the raisin bread, which is located on the very top shelf. The young man standing almost directly beneath her is provided with an excellent view, just as he surmised he would.

Once she descends the ladder he muses that he really should get two loaves, as he is having company for dinner.

As the clerk retrieves the second loaf of bread, one of the other male customers notices what was going on.

Thinking quickly, he requests his own loaf of raisin bread so he can continue to enjoy the view.

With each trip up the ladder, the young lady seems to catch the eye of another male customer.

Pretty soon, each male customer is asking for raisin bread, just to see the clerk climb up and down.

After many trips she is tired, irritated and thinking that she is really going to have to try the bread herself.

Finally, once again atop the ladder, she stops and fumes, glaring at the men standing below. She notices an elderly man standing amongst the crowd, staring up at her. Thinking to save herself a trip, she yells at the elderly man,

"Is it raisin for you too?

"No," stammers the old man, "but it's a quiverin'."
FollowupID: 437198

Sponsored Links